Speculation: Where do you think Leo Carlsson should play next season?

Where do you think Leo Carlsson should play next year?

• NHL

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • AHL

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • SHL

Votes: 61 49.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it's plausible to have him playing center on one of our scoring lines in the NHL. Just have to give some proper sheltering in the form of a ton of ozone starts, and construct the rest of the lineup to be able to make up for it.

Killorn - McTavish - Terry
Zegras
- Carlsson - Rico
Vatrano - Lundy - Strome

That Top 9 looks pretty good. With the bolded still developing or not reached their prime yet in Terry.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I was thinking of the exact same lines

Killorn does so much to legitimize the top line. The "third line" and whoever makes up the 4th, should be more than dependable enough to allow for the "second line" to get really heavy offensive usage (while still benefitting from Rico's reliability for added insulation).

If they shore up the D group a bit more, this group could surprise some.

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
From a selfish point-of-view I would love to see him next year in the SHL. I think he really would benefit from playling top-line minutes as a center here.

I kinda look also look at Elias Pettersson and how he took an 'extra' year in the SHL before he jumped over the Atlantic to the Canucks. Regardless, it will be so fun to watch him in the future and I know a lot you are unhappy with the pick but I think you found yourself a real gem and a special player.

Reactions: lwvs84

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
How many games can Carlsson play and be considered a rookie for the following year? If Bedard and Fantilli are both playing in the NHL this year, Carlsson might be the odds on favorite to win rookie of the year the next season :laugh:

24 NHL games is max to not qualify for the Calder. We stopped both Drysdale and Zegras from reaching that threshold during Covid season, 2020-21.

But if we don't want to start his ELC, then it's 9 NHL games max. We did this with McTavish two seasons ago.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I think it's plausible to have him playing center on one of our scoring lines in the NHL. Just have to give some proper sheltering in the form of a ton of ozone starts, and construct the rest of the lineup to be able to make up for it.

Killorn - McTavish - Terry
Zegras - Carlsson - Rico
Vatrano - Lundy - Strome

That looks like an NHL caliber top 9!

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
AHL just to get used to the smaller ice. But only if he get 1st line minutes.

Reactions: lwvs84

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Ahl for me. We have a new ahi coach who can focus on his na transition day 1.

Yes quality of play is better in shl but I think it’s more important to get him acclimated to North American culture.

However if he preferred one more season in shl I wouldn’t fight it.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I was thinking maybe SHL for him for another season but I wait to see him in the training camp and practice games at least. Then depending on how things go, maybe 9 NHL games before sending him back to Sweden or San Diego, whichever it will be. It shouldn't be out of question that he stays either. The actual training camp and the practice games should be more of a measuring stick of his ability rather than development camp ending scrimmage.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was thinking maybe SHL for him for another season but I wait to see him in the training camp and practice games at least. Then depending on how things go, maybe 9 NHL games before sending him back to Sweden or San Diego, whichever it will be. It shouldn't be out of question that he stays either. The actual training camp and the practice games should be more of a measuring stick of his ability rather than development camp ending scrimmage.

Yeah like to see how he does at camp in a couple of months. Let him get some rest now, been though a lot physically and mentally. I think a few people brought up a good point about letting him get used to NA ice. I’d also like him in SD under McIlvane. Being in the SHL it will be about the team not the player. I’d rather he work on his development like his skating for one, under the Ducks management. There was a concern about him getting 1C mins, he should be able to get Top 6C mins in SD. SHL it’s not guaranteed. Plus, He’s playing against men already, so don’t see it as an issue for him to transition to pro.

We have some of our top D prospects going to SD next season, why not the 2ndOA as well. Going back to the SHL just seems like a step back to me. Think he is ready to go pro, but not sure if he is NHL ready just yet. Might need some seasoning in the AHL, like Zegras did.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Wtf would we send him back to Sweden when we can send him down to the gulls to play 1c with prospects he will probably be playing the next decade with, and a coach GM PV greatly believes in as a top development coach?

Reactions: lwvs84 and Deuce22

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Voted for Sweden as well. As someone said earlier, let him go and dominate the way Elias Pettersson did in his D+1 season while developing on his weaknesses.

No matter what the decision is, I just hope they stick with it. No jerking him around from place to place like they did with Lundestrom.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Because 1C in SHL > 1C in the AHL?
He wasn’t even playing center down there, if we get some lunatic coach down there that refuses to play him at center. The ducks organization can’t do a thing about that. Also let him start with North American ice right away

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
He wasn’t even playing center down there, if we get some lunatic coach down there that refuses to play him at center. The ducks organization can’t do a thing about that. Also let him start with North American ice right away
I think being on a team that prioritizes winning over development is a good thing. Let him earn the top center job in sweden instead of handing it to him in san diego.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Wtf would we send him back to Sweden when we can send him down to the gulls to play 1c with prospects he will probably be playing the next decade with, and a coach GM PV greatly believes in as a top development coach?
The SHL is a better, tougher (competition-wise) league than the AHL. IMO he'll develop better over there than in San Diego. At least for this coming year. I fully expect him to be in Anaheim full time in 24/25.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
The SHL is a better, tougher (competition-wise) league than the AHL. IMO he'll develop better over there than in San Diego. At least for this coming year. I fully expect him to be in Anaheim full time in 24/25.
Fair ty for your time 🙏🏼

I think being on a team that prioritizes winning over development is a good thing. Let him earn the top center job in sweden instead of handing it to him in san diego.
Tyty makes sense

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
FWIW his team's fans are saying they're expecting him to play the 1C role there next season and his coach was quoted saying he could easily play center as well. At this point I think it's entirely reasonable to expect him to do just that.

I will agree, though, that playing C in San Diego would be preferable over playing wing in Sweden.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
FWIW his team's fans are saying they're expecting him to play the 1C role there next season and his coach was quoted saying he could easily play center as well. At this point I think it's entirely reasonable to expect him to do just that.

I will agree, though, that playing C in San Diego would be preferable over playing wing in Sweden.
Orebro 1C Ābols is not returning so that definitely increases opportunity for Leo

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
The line that Carlsson finished the season on consisted of 3 young guys who all can and have played center. Even if Leo wasn't put as a center he did play as one. I don't think that's something you should worry about.

He's also been working out ALOT to bulk up since the WC. No wonder why he looks gassed.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I definitely do not mind another year in Sweden.

Take it slow and let him really iron out flaws where he’s comfortable.

It also allows Anaheim to likely secure one more top 7 pick to cap off the rebuild - not that that should be a consideration for where he plays

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The line that Carlsson finished the season on consisted of 3 young guys who all can and have played center. Even if Leo wasn't put as a center he did play as one. I don't think that's something you should worry about.

He's also been working out ALOT to bulk up since the WC. No wonder why he looks gassed.
Where did you get this info?

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I definitely do not mind another year in Sweden.

Take it slow and let him really iron out flaws where he’s comfortable.

It also allows Anaheim to likely secure one more top 7 pick to cap off the rebuild - not that that should be a consideration for where he plays

Come, Oct 14th like to see him with the Ducks for at least that 9 game stint, and circle Oct 24th on your calendar since it‘s within the 9 game cup of coffee. Two raw prospects not sure what to expect in that game. Lol.

My concern is how this team will be next season, if Verbeek is adding more support or not. We have to be better next season but still may not be the competitive atmosphere we want for the 2ndOA pick.

Not sure how the rules work, but if he signs an ELC, plays 9 games with the Ducks, can he still be loaned to the SHL? I know his ELC won’t kick in to the following year. I know they did that with Mac, but that’s the OHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad