Where do you rank Messier on an all-time list?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Way too much emphasis on top ten finishes and peak seasons going on in this thread. The Messier nay sayers keep bringing up these numbers about the regular season and how it proves Mess doesn't deserve to be in the top 10-15.

Here's a little food for thought for the nay sayers.

Regular season PPG vs Playoff PPG and the difference

Gordie Howe

1.04 vs 1.02 dif less .02

Wayne Gretzky

1.92 vs 1.84 dif less .08

Bobby Orr

1.39 vs 1.24 dif less .15

Mario Lemieux

1.88 vs 1.60 dif less .28

Howie Morenz

0.85 vs 0.43 dif less .42

Stan Mikita

1.05 vs 0.97 dif less .08

Jaromir Jagr

1.26 vs 1.07 dif less .19

Steve Yzerman

1.16 vs 0.94 dif less .22

Bobby Hull

1.10 vs 1.08 dif less .02

Maurice Richard

0.99 vs 0.95 dif less .04

Guy Lafleur

1.20 vs 1.04 dif less .16

Jean Beliveau

1.08 vs 1.08 dif none

Mark Messier

1.07 vs 1.25 dif MORE .18

So the only guy on the list able to elevate his stats in the post season was Messier. There are players on this list from his era and prior. His ability to elevate his game this much in the playoffs is what sets him apart from his peers. No he may not have the same regular season success when it comes to top ten finishes and peak seasons. He has 2nd overall points in the regular season, not too shabby for a guy who played 2nd line minutes for a good chunk of his career.

But when it comes to playoffs, how could anyone argue that he isn't one of the best playoff performers of all time. Last time I checked the playoffs are usually a little more important than regular season. If not Messier better make room for Joe Thornton and all his top ten finishes in the regular season.

now knock off the last 7 years of Messier's career and run those numbers again. After all, when he went into decline he hurt his regular season average, and never played in the playoffs, yet, this makes him a better playoff performer by your metric!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
In terms of defensive GVT per game the only forwards ahead of Yzerman are Ramsay, Luce, Clarke, Carbonneau, Miller and Gainey. That's is meaningful to me.

:amazed: teach me more about this GVT! Ramsay, Luce, Clarke, Carbonneau and Gainey topping a defensive statistic, indicates to me that this is a statistic that works. I must know more.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Messier's runner-up for the Hart that year may be the biggest case of media infatuation I have ever seen. It is hard to justify Messier as anywhere close to either the 2nd best player in the league -or- the 2nd most valuable to his team that year. More like "Most Press of the Year". With no Lemieux Messier was still not even Top 10 in scoring in 1996. I know Messier was super-human and all, but when has a forward won the Hart without even being in the Top 10 for points???

That year Fedorov finished with more points -and- won the Selke, for example.
only ted kennedy in '55, but he was 11th.

kennedy was not an all star in '55 and was not the highest scoring player on his team. sid smith had 2p more, and it is very possible, and probably true, that kennedy was more valuable than smith.

but from things i have read here (opinion more than evidence) and a newspaper article, it may be that kennedy won as a career award.

the newspaper article i read about it only mentioned that kennedy had never won before and was considering retirement. i think conn smythe said at that time that kennedy should have won the hart at some point in his career.

other things i have seen suggest that harry lumley may have deserved to win. lumley was 2nd.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
I think Mark Messier's offensive peak is getting a bit underrated. Take gretz and mario out of the equation and the art ross is basically his in 1987 and 1990, he would finish second to brett hull in 1992 and 3rd in 1988 too. Bobby Clarke and trottier are probably weaker offensively if you go best 10 seasons.

On top of that he has many seasons where he missed 10-15 games but was on pace to crack top 10 lists.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think Mark Messier's offensive peak is getting a bit underrated. Take gretz and mario out of the equation and the art ross is basically his in 1987 and 1990, he would finish second to brett hull in 1992 and 3rd in 1988 too. Bobby Clarke and trottier are probably weaker offensively if you go best 10 seasons.

On top of that he has many seasons where he missed 10-15 games but was on pace to crack top 10 lists.

Exactly. To take it another step, Messier's statistical "stepping it up in the playoffs" is largely due to the fact that he actually played every game in the playoffs, while he often missed 10-15 games in the regular season during his prime.

Infinite Vision*

now knock off the last 7 years of Messier's career and run those numbers again. After all, when he went into decline he hurt his regular season average, and never played in the playoffs, yet, this makes him a better playoff performer by your metric!

Exactly. To take it another step, Messier's statistical "stepping it up in the playoffs" is largely due to the fact that he actually played every game in the playoffs, while he often missed 10-15 games in the regular season during his prime.

I'd say it's more due to what he said. Also are you saying that playing those extra 10-15 games in his prime would have increased his ppg? and that if he had played in less playoff games his ppg would be worse? Because those are arguments that get directed the complete opposite way at someone else I know. ;)

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005

someone already did!!! He was a 1.22ppg player in the reg season prior to vancouver.

1.22 vs 1.25 Still the only player on this list of greats to have positive playoff production vs reg season production

Now do you want me to take out the last 7 years of Howes and Gretzkys careers and show you how it affects them??? Gretz missed the playoffs 5 of his last 7. Howe missed 4 of his last 7, in those 3 years Howe was in the playoffs he had a combined 14pts.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'd say it's more due to what he said. Also are you saying that playing those extra 10-15 games in his prime would have increased his ppg? and that if he had played in less playoff games his ppg would be worse? Because those are arguments that get directed the complete opposite way at someone else I know. ;)

No, I was half awake and was talking about counting his top 10 finishes at the end of the year. Nothing about "per game." Sorry for not being clear. Obviously sitting out some games didn't help his per-game stats.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
:amazed: teach me more about this GVT! Ramsay, Luce, Clarke, Carbonneau and Gainey topping a defensive statistic, indicates to me that this is a statistic that works. I must know more.

As I said, my case for Yzerman being better defensively than Messier over the course of his career is not based solely on this indicator by any means. I picked that information from a post that Tom Awad made a few weeks ago and checked it using the all time GVT list. Obviously not a perfect method or anything.

Valid point. Looking at Messier's ppg finishes gives him a few more top tens in the lower range, but I don't know if that's really all that helpful other than in comparisons with Yzerman/Clarke/Trottier/Sakic offensively, and possibly Lindsay. I already considered Messier's offensive play better than Clarke and Trottier overall though. I'm not convinced that he wins the Art Ross in 1987 without in the non Gretzky/Lemieux world, but his third place finish that year impresses anyway. I think I've overdone the anti-Messier case a bit, as I'd very likely still put him somewhere from 25-30; I was mainly making a case against considering him for top 10.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
As I said, my case for Yzerman being better defensively than Messier over the course of his career is not based solely on this indicator by any means.

I agree, and it's not necessarily going to convince me, either. Particularly because it's probably based on some form of adjusted +/-, which uses both goals for and against. But if Clarke, Carbo, Ramsay, Luce, and Gainey all came out on top, then the stat is working for the most part.

Is there a blog post or something you can direct me to? I found some Tom Awad articles at puckprospectus but nothing except how the formula is made, as well as the top-10 goalies of all-time.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
someone already did!!! He was a 1.22ppg player in the reg season prior to vancouver.

1.22 vs 1.25 Still the only player on this list of greats to have positive playoff production vs reg season production

Now do you want me to take out the last 7 years of Howes and Gretzkys careers and show you how it affects them??? Gretz missed the playoffs 5 of his last 7. Howe missed 4 of his last 7, in those 3 years Howe was in the playoffs he had a combined 14pts.

I was surprised how high it was actually. I went through the numbers 3 times. 1.22 PPG no matter what era is very good. Not to mention everything else Messier brought to the table.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I agree, and it's not necessarily going to convince me, either. Particularly because it's probably based on some form of adjusted +/-, which uses both goals for and against. But if Clarke, Carbo, Ramsay, Luce, and Gainey all came out on top, then the stat is working for the most part.

Is there a blog post or something you can direct me to? I found some Tom Awad articles at puckprospectus but nothing except how the formula is made, as well as the top-10 goalies of all-time.

The information I used came from a comment that Awad made on this article:

http://www.behindthenethockey.com/2010/9/10/1681119/cry-the-defensive-forward

This explains the way that the formula is calculated:

http://www.puckprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=236&nocache=1288392455

This link leads to the document that contains the GVT information for most players since 1944:

http://www.puckprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=108

There are definite issues but I definitely think there is also value in the results.

Last edited:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

GVT is a hockey prospectus stat, not entirely sure what it entails.
I ran across it and don't give hockey sabremetrics the same time of day as baseball ones because there are more variables in hockey and some things, such as defensive play, don't really fit into any kind of formula.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I had heard of the term, but never really analyzed it or used it in player evaluation. It just really piqued my interest when those names were tossed around.

I grabbed the spreadsheet and sorted forwards by career defensive GVT, and I'm not so confident in Wayne Gretzky and Maurice Richard being so high up there. I have to look further into what numbers are actually giving them defensive credit.

Also, something has to be incorporated to account for the relative strength of the seasons involved. Bill Durnan rating as high among goalies as he does, raises a big red flag. Also, although gainey, Ramsay, and Clarke could be 3 of the 5 best defensive forwards of all-time, they all peaked in the very watered-down late 1970s and there should be accomodation for that as well.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I had heard of the term, but never really analyzed it or used it in player evaluation. It just really piqued my interest when those names were tossed around.

I grabbed the spreadsheet and sorted forwards by career defensive GVT, and I'm not so confident in Wayne Gretzky and Maurice Richard being so high up there. I have to look further into what numbers are actually giving them defensive credit.

Also, something has to be incorporated to account for the relative strength of the seasons involved. Bill Durnan rating as high among goalies as he does, raises a big red flag. Also, although gainey, Ramsay, and Clarke could be 3 of the 5 best defensive forwards of all-time, they all peaked in the very watered-down late 1970s and there should be accomodation for that as well.

I believe that Richard and Gretzky can be partially explained by the notion that you can't have shots against you if the puck is in the zone of the other team. Richard also clearly benefits from playing in the war weakened NHL during his first few seasons. I would guess that Richard is also helped by the assumption that all forwards share defensive responsibility equally.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007

GVT is just based on available NHL numbers. It can't be any better than the data it's based on. You probably have a pretty good idea of what data is available for different time periods - it varies widely. As far as I know the only available numbers that would give any clue to Maurice Richard's defensive game are the fact that he played for a long time on good defensive teams. (Shorthanded points from the HSP could give a clue to his defensive game or at least his role, but AFAIK GVT doesn't incorporate HSP data.)

Maybe the biggest problem with the historical GVT spreadsheet is that it doesn't show what data it's based on, so there's no distinction between Maurice Richard's defensive GVT (which is based almost entirely on the strength of his teams) and Bobby Clarke's GVT (which would also incorporate his goal-against numbers at even strength and quantify his penalty killing). Although I shouldn't complain too much, it is pretty cool that Tom Awad makes it available.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The fact is Messier elevated his game big time in the playoffs and had big success in the playoffs and regular season as well. I rank him in the 10-12 range. Checking the Hockey News Top 100 Players, Mess is rated 12. So I think I'm pretty close. As far as people ranking him 20+ :shakehead:shakehead

Okay that's true, but that list was in 1997. Messier did nothing to elevate his status after that. I think Bourque was behind him wasn't he? From 1997 to the end of Bourque's career he still had all-star years and finally won his Cup. I couldn't put Messier ahead of Bourque regardless of how hard I try.

Other than that 13 years is a long time. I'll concur that Yzerman and Sakic stayed behind him but you'd really have to take a close look at Messier vs. Jagr and to be honest I could see Jagr being rated ahead of him. Not to mention Roy did a lot post 1997, Hasek is another one. To look at it objectively I can't see how Messier is ahead of Roy all-time. So all of the sudden he's in the 15-16 range and that doesn't take into account the fact that you could build a case for Esposito being ahead of him, maybe a few like Lidstrom too, who knows. That puts him in the 20 range for sure. The thing is the game has been played for such a long time that there are some players who dominated better. For career value not many beat Messier but to assume he is top 10 might just show how a person isn't in tune with hockey history.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Come on now, do you really want to go down that path? Howe had 103 points as a 40 year old (3rd in scoring). He was a top 5 scorer practically till the end of his career. Gretzky led the NHL in assists in 2nd and 3rd last seasons. He outplayed Messier in the 1997 playoffs as well. Messier was simply just a mess his last 7 years, the less you talk about it the better. And to be honest I love Messier and hate going against him here, but I have to.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yes it is not about just the points. Messier made everyone around him better and was one fo the best at motivating his team mates. Whether it was what he did on the ice or off the ice. Now players like Beliveau was great but the only player in the history I put along in the same breath of Messier when it comes to leadership and doing it all for his team and giving his all is the Rocket. Others might come close but these were the two greatest leaders ever.

Beliveau is a guy who I consider the best leader ever. Not that Messier wasn't great too, but Beliveau is my #1 leader. Not to mention he, like all of the all-time greats elevated the play of his linemates too.

Now if you want to only consider making there mark on the game that is a good one. Their are stars, superstars and then legends. Mark Messier will never be mistaken for a legend. He was not Richard, Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux etc... When you look at it even Crosby as left a mark on the game even more so then Messier. Messier was never the best even when he was winning Hart Trophies he was never thaught of as in the same breath of Gretzky or Lemieux. So in that reguards you are right. However one thing that will always live on his the legend of the guaranteed win. I mean in 50 years from now no one will ever remember the goal against the Islanders, Or how he changed the series against the Blackhawks for the Oilers. People might never remember the smile Messier had everytime he or a teamate scored. They might never remember the Stanley cup winning goal he scored for the Rangers. But 50 years from now people will still talk about the guaranteed win. He was known as the Messiah in New York. He wasn't the only reason the Rangers won, Truth be told he never really guaranteed the win. He was trying to motivate his team. Not only did he get a goal but he got a hat trick in that game. That is what legends are made of. Stories that get told to generation to generation. So yes maybe some made their mark on the league more so then Messier. But will anyone ever leave a mark on a team or a city like Messier. Richard excepted of course.

And he should and DOES get credit for a brilliant playoff career. There are precious few who were better than Messier in the postseason, but there are a few more who dominated the regular season better. The guarantee is a nice thing he did and it should be respected but I'm not sure it makes him a better player for his career.

What did Jagr do in the playoffs when he wasn't with Lemieux. Honestly what did he do? when was Pittsburgh a mediocre team in the years that you are talking about. Yeah when Lemieux retired the first time the Penguins had nothing. Francis, Kovalev and as you mentioned Straka who when the Penguins went the furthest in 1999 without Lemieux he was their leading scorer in the playoffs. Yes Jagr was hard to stop in the offensive zone. To a degree unstoppable. But not too many people could stop Messier either. I mean if you hit him often you would bounce off of him. How do stop Messier from hitting, How do you stop Messier from using his speed to skate by you. Messier was pretty dominant on the ice as well.

Yes statistically speaking Jagr peak wise he was better then Messier. More Dominant I don't think so. Messier in 1990 won the Hart Trophy and led the Oilers to the Cup. Or does the playoffs not count. Now if we are just talking about offensive skill then that is all you can say Jagr was better at then Messier. Jagr was one of my favourite players and loved watching him but their is no way a GM or anyone in their right mind would pick Jagr over Messier if they were wanting to win the Cup

I'll give Messier the intangibles over Jagr. But offensively Jagr controlled the pace of the game better than him for sure. We all know Messier was strong, but why do we forget how tough it was to knock Jagr off the puck? Maybe Lemieux is the only one I thought was better at protecting the puck that I saw. If I am a GM it is awfully close for me on who to pick. Plus just look at those Pens teams in like 1999 or 2000. Not very good at all. Jagr took them to the 2nd round both times on his back. He even took the Rangers further than they probably should have gone later in his career. When you look at the all around package you can't help but like Messier but Jagr's talent was so tantalizing and he had such an ability to literally take over a game. Dominance. That's the key word I think of when I think of Jagr.

I am not balming Bourque for not winning the Cup with Boston it was just that when it mattered most Bourque often was beaten by the games best players. Whether it be Gretzky, Lemieux, or others like. Richer, Stevens, Anderson etc... Bourque was great but in the big games he was often not the best player. In 1988 when Boston went to the Finals it was not just Gretzky honestly I doubt anyone could have ahnadled the Oilers that year. I mena in the playoffs they lost just 2 games. However Bourque didn't have that great of a series. In 1990 yes Bourque scored the only two goals in game 1. However for the rest fo the series he was not that good. Messier did out perfrom him no question. I will never forget how easily the kid line would cycle the puck against Bourque. How players like Graves, Murphy and Gelinas at times were able to out muscle Bourque for the puck. Now I do not mean to put Bourque down because I liked him so much but just can't agree that he was better then Messier. Close yes and believe me it is almost a tie. I find it hard to compare defenceman to forwards as that is very hard. For the record even though I said Bourque was the best defenceman in the last 30 years I was just going with the general view I would take Denis Potvin over Bourque any day

Even if you look at Bourque's playoff numbers he certainly did his part and then some. Once in a while Boston had a healthy Neely, and later there was Oates but that's it. Other than that the best player he played with on Boston was Rick Middleton. Hey nothing against nifty Rick, he's a borderline HHOFer, but no matter when Bourque was a Bruin he always had to carry the Bruins.

Also I ask you this. What is more important Career stats, Peak performances, Playoff stats, Awards, Top ten finishes, awards voting, Stanley Cup wins, Physicall skill, Longevity, Intangibles, etc.... Which is the one that matters the most or all equal. Why is it so important when comparing players to automatically compare peak years.

They are all important. It is a combination of all of them I think. Peak should never be ignored though when you are comparing players at this level (top 20ish all-time). But for me it's always a combination of such, maybe peak being the most important coupled with playoff resume

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Okay that's true, but that list was in 1997. Messier did nothing to elevate his status after that. I think Bourque was behind him wasn't he? From 1997 to the end of Bourque's career he still had all-star years and finally won his Cup. I couldn't put Messier ahead of Bourque regardless of how hard I try.

Other than that 13 years is a long time. I'll concur that Yzerman and Sakic stayed behind him but you'd really have to take a close look at Messier vs. Jagr and to be honest I could see Jagr being rated ahead of him. Not to mention Roy did a lot post 1997, Hasek is another one. To look at it objectively I can't see how Messier is ahead of Roy all-time. So all of the sudden he's in the 15-16 range and that doesn't take into account the fact that you could build a case for Esposito being ahead of him, maybe a few like Lidstrom too, who knows. That puts him in the 20 range for sure. The thing is the game has been played for such a long time that there are some players who dominated better. For career value not many beat Messier but to assume he is top 10 might just show how a person isn't in tune with hockey history.

So Phil Esposito is ranked 6 spots behind Mess in 1998 and has done what since then to rank him ahead of Mess? Jagr will never be rated ahead of Messier.

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Come on now, do you really want to go down that path? Howe had 103 points as a 40 year old (3rd in scoring). He was a top 5 scorer practically till the end of his career. Gretzky led the NHL in assists in 2nd and 3rd last seasons. He outplayed Messier in the 1997 playoffs as well. Messier was simply just a mess his last 7 years, the less you talk about it the better. And to be honest I love Messier and hate going against him here, but I have to.

Yes I will go down that path. The only guy on the list of greats to elevate their stats in the post season vs reg season is Messier. I wasnt trying to take anything away from Howe and Gretz whom are miles ahead of Mess. Maybe the less you talk about it the better, the suggestion of Jagr ahead of Mess on an all time list is insane.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Yes I will go down that path. The only guy on the list of greats to elevate their stats in the post season vs reg season is Messier. I wasnt trying to take anything away from Howe and Gretz whom are miles ahead of Mess. Maybe the less you talk about it the better, the suggestion of Jagr ahead of Mess on an all time list is insane.

Messier's playoffs elevate him highly in an all-time context, further ahead than many players who have a much more impressive regular season career. But that does not completely wash over his comparably lesser regular season play. One could also wonder why Messier was not capable of bringing it during the grinding, and very important, regular season. It's seems similar to me as arguing Claude Lemiuex over Gilbert Perreault or Stevens over Bourque, simply because they elevated their game in the playoffs more.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Peak wise Jagr beats Messier. Mess has 1990 as his best year. Not too shabby but I'll take Jagr in 1996 or even better 1999. Just a more dominant season.

You would take Jagr's 1996 over Messier's best? Personally, I can't even justify taking Jagr's 1996 over Messier's 1996. Jagr's 1999 and 2000, maybe, but Messier had too strong of a physical game that year for me to rank Jagr's 1996 offense ahead. I mean, he was out-Lindrosing Eric Lindros.

RabbinsDuck said:
Messier's runner-up for the Hart that year may be the biggest case of media infatuation I have ever seen. It is hard to justify Messier as anywhere close to either the 2nd best player in the league -or- the 2nd most valuable to his team that year. More like "Most Press of the Year". With no Lemiuex Messier was still not even Top 10 in scoring in 1996. I know Messier was super-human and all, but when has a forward won the Hart without even being in the Top 10 for points???

That year Fedorov finished with more points -and- won the Selke, for example.

You know, the same people who gave Fedorov the Selke are the same people who deemed Messier the second most valuable player in the NHL, correct?

I sound like a broken record, but Messier didn't take to the ice every night, worrying about the scoring race. To him, it was all about preparing his team (and it was almost always his team) for the playoffs. If that meant sending a message by carrying the offense, he did it. If that meant punishing the other team's players physically, he did it. And when the real games started, the ones that truly define players' careers (the playoffs, not the regular season), Messier became the top 10 all-time player that he was. And despite having a Silver-oriented agenda through a quarter-century, he still compiled enough to pass Howe in points and combined games played, so bully for him.

Right next to Beliveau. That's where Messier is.

KristoLeblanc*

You would take Jagr's 1996 over Messier's best? Personally, I can't even justify taking Jagr's 1996 over Messier's 1996. Jagr's 1999 and 2000, maybe, but Messier had too strong of a physical game that year for me to rank Jagr's 1996 offense ahead. I mean, he was out-Lindrosing Eric Lindros.

You know, the same people who gave Fedorov the Selke are the same people who deemed Messier the second most valuable player in the NHL, correct?

I sound like a broken record, but Messier didn't take to the ice every night, worrying about the scoring race. To him, it was all about preparing his team (and it was almost always his team) for the playoffs. If that meant sending a message by carrying the offense, he did it. If that meant punishing the other team's players physically, he did it. And when the real games started, the ones that truly define players' careers (the playoffs, not the regular season), Messier became the top 10 all-time player that he was. And despite having a Silver-oriented agenda through a quarter-century, he still compiled enough to pass Howe in points and combined games played, so bully for him.

Right next to Beliveau. That's where Messier is.

Thats hilarious.... Sad too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad