Where do you put the rage?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
They've actually helped me tap back into my basketball fandom again, full fledge. I bought League Pass for the first time this year, and the Raptors are doing very well too so at least I have that going for me.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Hey, next year will b better. They'll add a top three 18 year old forward, and sign a mid range Dman. Oh yeah, and change the bottom six.

Guaranteed success.

Seriously, the smart play, at this point, is to jump off the bandwagon and jump back on IF they are ever good again.

There is no reason to believe until they prove it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
My face when watching Oilers games...

Lehner.png

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
What a ****ing clownshow.

Classy bon voyage to Rexall place by the league and team with just an awful awful product.

(My rage goes here now).

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005
Hey, next year will b better. They'll add a top three 18 year old forward, and sign a mid range Dman. Oh yeah, and change the bottom six.

Guaranteed success.

Seriously, the smart play, at this point, is to jump off the bandwagon and jump back on IF they are ever good again.

There is no reason to believe until they prove it.

Sigh. Can't wait until the threads start up next year where people say that this is another assessment year, young team, contend in 2019, give it time, blah blah blah so they can say, "Why are you surprised, we knew this would be a growing year?" when we are out of the playoffs by American Thanksgiving. Whether they are right or not is moot. It just becomes so damn predictable and frustrating.

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
Sigh. Can't wait until the threads start up next year where people say that this is another assessment year, young team, contend in 2019, give it time, blah blah blah so they can say, "Why are you surprised, we knew this would be a growing year?" when we are out of the playoffs by American Thanksgiving. Whether they are right or not is moot. It just becomes so damn predictable and frustrating.

I'm 37 years old. I played hockey from 3 years old. I watched the Oilers as far back as I can remember. I was lucky enough to remember the last 4 Oiler cups and got to see the old dynasty in person.

Now that I have a family and a job, my son plays hockey. And I share a seasons ticket with friends. I am exactly the demographic that the Oilers and Katz cater to. I have disposable income, spend money at the games and always had intended to be a lifelong season ticket holder.

But for the first time in my life my patience with this organization is razor-thin. I am close to throwing in the towel. Chiarelli and ownership seem content to watch the team struggle the rest of the season, and tank for a top 5 pick. I can accept that, IF there is a plan in place to fix the blueline before next season starts. I can't yet believe that Chiarelli is too stupid to try fielding the current team (+ a top 5 pick) and just filling the blueline with a few more bottom-pairing castaways from other teams.

But trust me on this. If the roster doesn't show some major rebalancing changes before next season starts I am done with this team for good. Katz bringing in Chiarelli and TM bought him one more year from me so he better not blow it. I see more and more empty seats at Rexall all the time. This team is truly on the brink of disaster imo.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I'm 37 years old. I played hockey from 3 years old. I watched the Oilers as far back as I can remember. I was lucky enough to remember the last 4 Oiler cups and got to see the old dynasty in person.

Now that I have a family and a job, my son plays hockey. And I share a seasons ticket with friends. I am exactly the demographic that the Oilers and Katz cater to. I have disposable income, spend money at the games and always had intended to be a lifelong season ticket holder.

But for the first time in my life my patience with this organization is razor-thin. I am close to throwing in the towel. Chiarelli and ownership seem content to watch the team struggle the rest of the season, and tank for a top 5 pick. I can accept that, IF there is a plan in place to fix the blueline before next season starts. I can't yet believe that Chiarelli is too stupid to try fielding the current team (+ a top 5 pick) and just filling the blueline with a few more bottom-pairing castaways from other teams.

But trust me on this. If the roster doesn't show some major rebalancing changes before next season starts I am done with this team for good. Katz bringing in Chiarelli and TM bought him one more year from me so he better not blow it. I see more and more empty seats at Rexall all the time. This team is truly on the brink of disaster imo.

If things stay the same I sort of see the point where the bottom absolutely falls out.

Older fans from the 80's have moved away altogether for retirement, or many have less patience or just fixed costs of income prevent them from seeing a lot of games.

From ages 30-55 at some point you seen some winning teams so you probably have the most patience, and also have kids that will want to see the big name stars when they come into town.

If you are under 30, you seen the last cup run, but before that it was mostly just trying to get past Dallas, Colorado, and just years of frustration & anger. You also seen E.I.G. the rallying behind a community owned team with respect & care for the fans. The 05' run back alot of fans who were fans of other teams (bandwagoners) many went back or stayed with there teams.

This generation will be like the Browns or Clippers where you will have massive amount of fans who cheer for other teams, and that is all. You seen it in the early days of the Oilers where fans of Bruins, Leafs, Wings, Canadiens came in droves. Fans are endeared to guys like Mcdavid and will stick with him, but as a collective even now fans are so apathetic to seeing guys score goals and rack up points.

I always say what good does it do if a guy like Eberle absolutely sucks defensively. If it wasn't for big names on the roster, there would be no young fans cheering for this team at all, or in the very small numbers. Katz and co. will stick with that model so I can see it very hard trading a Nuge or Hall even with Mcdavid here.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I swore off spending any Oiler money last year - including games or gear. Its a small gesture but it helps. There is no way in hell I'd be buying season tickets after this long. Now having said that with the McDavid effect, I bought into a couple games early in this season. They lost them both of course. Now I'm at the same point as last year - although this time it will probably last longer. They will have to prove that they are actually improving longterm before I ever buy anything Oiler related once again. Its bad enough having mental attachment to this discombobulation - little alone financial attachment.

From what I've heard some of the players seem to give less of a **** about their poor performances than the paying fans do.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Didn't realize the oilers have won 12 regulation wins out of 60.

Seemed high right? I'm as shocked as you ;)

Joking aside, that's a pace of 16 regulation wins in 82 games.

Some recent history:

09/10 - 18/82
10/11 - 21/82
11/12 - 25/82
12/13 - 15/48
13/14 - 20/82
14/15 - 17/82

Yeah...we're not getting better. Although many argue Krueger was just a lucky dude. He could have got only 1 more regulation win in 34 more games (against all eastern teams if he had a normal season) to have a year similar to this one (lol).

Oh, and just for fun, we have 2 wins in regulation against western opponents this year. Yes...2, out of 33 games. We had 11 in 13/14 and 7 in 14/15, both out of 50 games. I'll let you guys to the complicated math of what we're on pace for this year out of 50 games.

The next worst Western team at winning in regulation vs the West is the Canucks with only 8 after tonight's win. Yeah, we're exactly where we should be in the standings.

Last edited:

Elric

May 1, 2015
In Wheat
If things stay the same I sort of see the point where the bottom absolutely falls out.

Older fans from the 80's have moved away altogether for retirement, or many have less patience or just fixed costs of income prevent them from seeing a lot of games.

From ages 30-55 at some point you seen some winning teams so you probably have the most patience, and also have kids that will want to see the big name stars when they come into town.

If you are under 30, you seen the last cup run, but before that it was mostly just trying to get past Dallas, Colorado, and just years of frustration & anger. You also seen E.I.G. the rallying behind a community owned team with respect & care for the fans. The 05' run back alot of fans who were fans of other teams (bandwagoners) many went back or stayed with there teams.

This generation will be like the Browns or Clippers where you will have massive amount of fans who cheer for other teams, and that is all. You seen it in the early days of the Oilers where fans of Bruins, Leafs, Wings, Canadiens came in droves. Fans are endeared to guys like Mcdavid and will stick with him, but as a collective even now fans are so apathetic to seeing guys score goals and rack up points.

I always say what good does it do if a guy like Eberle absolutely sucks defensively. If it wasn't for big names on the roster, there would be no young fans cheering for this team at all, or in the very small numbers. Katz and co. will stick with that model so I can see it very hard trading a Nuge or Hall even with Mcdavid here.

Guess I can see that given the economy in AB it will be harder to sell tickets (esp corporate ones). But I was here in the 80's and went to the streets after winning the 1st one. One of the best experiences in my life. Might see it again if I'm lucky. I don't care too much if Katz makes or loses money but I once again have a chance to watch a truly generational player play for my team. For 82 games a year (against the maybe 50 I saw in the 80's). Might see a game or two live but mostly will watch on TV for free given I have the channel anyway. LOL at the complainers. See Cubs.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I truly don't feel "rage" these days when it comes to the Oilers. I used to live and die with every win and loss, and when the dark times hit all those years ago with so many more losses than wins, it was coming to a point where it felt like it was starting to negatively impact my emotional well-being.

So I forced myself to stop watching most games, and only follow the team via their twitter updates and replays of their goals via Facebook. Sure I watch the occasional game when it's on CBC if I've got nothing else going on, but even then if they starting sucking ass and go down by more than a couple goals I just turn it off and find something else to watch or do with the wife and/or kids.

At the age of 46, life's too short to waste it on negativity. :)

Oh yeah, and dipping into my huge Steam library helps take the edge off too. :thumbu:

duul

Jun 21, 2010

Some recent history:

09/10 - 18/82
10/11 - 21/82
11/12 - 25/82
12/13 - 15/48
13/14 - 20/82
14/15 - 17/82

Yeah...we're not getting better. Although many argue Krueger was just a lucky dude. He could have got only 1 more regulation win in 34 more games (against all eastern teams if he had a normal season) to have a year similar to this one (lol).

Oh, and just for fun, we have 2 wins in regulation against western opponents this year. Yes...2, out of 33 games. We had 11 in 13/14 and 7 in 14/15, both out of 50 games. I'll let you guys to the complicated math of what we're on pace for this year out of 50 games.

The next worst Western team at winning in regulation vs the West is the Canucks with only 7. Yeah, we're exactly where we should be in the standings.

This is an insane stat. Really shows how weak this team is. Nowhere close to competing in the west.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
This is an insane stat. Really shows how weak this team is. Nowhere close to competing in the west.

This whole east west thing is overrated. The Oilers are the Blue Jackets of the west and yet i can argue that even they are a vastly superior team in terms of roster makeup.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
This whole east west thing is overrated. The Oilers are the Blue Jackets of the west and yet i can argue that even they are a vastly superior team in terms of roster makeup.

I think it's more how teams have us completely figured out. The more you play us, the more you know how to shut down our butter soft fancy boys. Eastern teams that don't see us much still try to play run and gun because they just assume we're terrible based on the standings and it's gonna be an easy stat-padding night. They get burned now and then. Western teams know to take their time, grind us down wait for the inevitable defensive breakdowns and the points are in the bag unless we get lucky. Only 2 times in 33 has a western team walked away without at least 1 point vs the Oilers this year, they know what they're doing.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I think it's more how teams have us completely figured out. The more you play us, the more you know how to shut down our butter soft fancy boys. Eastern teams that don't see us much still try to play run and gun because they just assume we're terrible based on the standings and it's gonna be an easy stat-padding night. They get burned now and then. Western teams know to take their time, grind us down wait for the inevitable defensive breakdowns and the points are in the bag unless we get lucky. Only 2 times in 33 has a western team walked away without at least 1 point vs the Oilers this year, they know what they're doing.

It could be a case of them knowing what they are doing or the Oilers being completely clueless how to break a defensive trap.

I would not give the competition credit for beating up on the handicapped child of the NHL.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
People get enraged still? I thought that wouldve worn off long ago. I watch almost every game and Ive just learned to live with the constant disappointment. Its just about enjoying the small victories for me. McDavid highlights, the occasional blowout and win streak. Ive begun to grow numb to the pain I guess.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Some recent history:

09/10 - 18/82
10/11 - 21/82
11/12 - 25/82
12/13 - 15/48
13/14 - 20/82
14/15 - 17/82

The next worst Western team at winning in regulation vs the West is the Canucks with only 8 after tonight's win. Yeah, we're exactly where we should be in the standings.

more to these crazy bad stats....

this team has 3 regulation wins away from home all year out of 30 games...just insane

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Some recent history:

09/10 - 18/82
10/11 - 21/82
11/12 - 25/82
12/13 - 15/48 or a 26/82 game pace
13/14 - 20/82
14/15 - 17/82

And Krueger was fired after one season? More reason to shake your head at the inanity of MacT's time as a GM.

It's tough judging MacT as a member of the organization. He was a solid 3C for this team for 9 years. He had mixed results as head coach, but you can make a pretty solid case he was the most successful coach we have had in the last 20 years.

He was undeniably terrible as the GM.

Do you rage against the horrible time as GM and the fact he is still part of this organization? Or do you look at the entirety of his involvement with the team and be at peace with the team taking care of him when it's not necessarily his fault he was given a job he was really, really bad at?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
And Krueger was fired after one season? More reason to shake your head at the inanity of MacT's time as a GM.

It's tough judging MacT as a member of the organization. He was a solid 3C for this team for 9 years. He had mixed results as head coach, but you can make a pretty solid case he was the most successful coach we have had in the last 20 years.

He was undeniably terrible as the GM.

Do you rage against the horrible time as GM and the fact he is still part of this organization? Or do you look at the entirety of his involvement with the team and be at peace with the team taking care of him when it's not necessarily his fault he was given a job he was really, really bad at?

Just lots of rookie mistakes as GM. Maybe he could have been good if he went out and earned the job the right way. Get on a scouting staff, work your way up to be an assistant for an experienced GM, then finally hit the ground running as a GM with all the knowledge gained.

Instead, he took a pay-to-pass weekend EMBA program and thought that's all he needed to compete against the best minds in hockey. Went in thinking everything he touched would turn to gold and did huge amounts of damage to the franchise (excluding 1st round draft picks of course :) ). I blame Lowe more than him though. Lowe should have known better.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I just tune into the HF Oil site to keep up to date on all the great trades they are making to get out of this mess. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad