Where do you place the blame?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You know what I find hilarious about this whole thing? How deeply it contracts with what Pierre Lebrun reported after Game 3. He noted how the Sharks were very calm and reserved after the Game 3 OT win, how they were humble and didn't get ahead of themselves.

It just goes to show how the same thing can be interpreted a hundred different ways.

Doughty's a piece of ****.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think most confuse poor result and execution to things like effort. Do you really think they didn't try in game 5 this year? Yes, they lookes horrid, that's because they got out played in every zone. It's not like they really thought 'oh well, we got a couple more chances'.

No, but they still failed to execute.

I don't think it was an issue of effort. But really, losing while trying hard isn't that much better than losing while not trying hard.

Effort issue? Change the team because that is a problem. Execution issue? Change the team because that is a problem...

Game 5 against the Wings, leading going into the 3rd. They sat back and got what they deserved.

and this year's Game 5, I think it was a combination of complacency and lack of focus/attention to detail/commitment to the game. The Kings came out firing and the results showed for themselves.

I think the lack of details isn't an issue of effort, it is just that they don't have the details.

Some teams like the Kings and the Rangers have a great defensive structure that they can fall back on. It helps them hold leads. The Sharks, especially just after the lockout, were really bad at that.

To me that's the definition of complacency / lack of focus/ lack of attention to detail...

Moreover, teams have points where they break. At points in game 3, you saw that from the Rangers. The Sharks just seem to have an earlier breaking point than what good teams should have, and seem unable to recover from it as quickly as good teams should be able to.

You know what I find hilarious about this whole thing? How deeply it contracts with what Pierre Lebrun reported after Game 3. He noted how the Sharks were very calm and reserved after the Game 3 OT win, how they were humble and didn't get ahead of themselves.

To be fair, Doughty was talking about game 4. And I think many of us saw the issues start in game 5...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
To me that's the definition of complacency / lack of focus/ lack of attention to detail...

They didn't come into game five ready to play but that doesn't mean that they were complacent. Complacency is being satisfied with the way things were and not wanting to change them. I saw no sense of satisfaction with the team after game three and not going into game five. I certainly didn't see them keep things the same after the first three games since they had gotten away from what was working.

They were tentative going into game five and that turned into panic when they got ran over.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

It just goes to show how the same thing can be interpreted a hundred different ways.

Doughty's a piece of ****.

Doughty was talking about game 4, not game 3. Doughty is right and the exact player and personality we need.

He's a winner. Period.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
So one game (which was fairly even) completely changed everything? Nah son.

Maybe Doughty's a revisionist.

But it's not so far-fetched that after Game 4, he was being confident and optimistic thinking... "We have a good shot to win game 5 (since they did the same thing back in 2010 round 1). We win that, we'll win game 6 at home and then the Sharks will panic at some point in Game 7 and we got them in the bag."

A confident leader thinks that way.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Doughty also said he thought they would win the series in '11.

Point is, Doughty says a lot of things. Great player, but he talks a whole hell of a lot. Will be interesting to see if he's the same when he's older and regressed.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

Point is, Doughty says a lot of things. Great player, but he talks a whole hell of a lot. Will be interesting to see if he's the same when he's older and regressed.

No doubt - he's a cockysonofa*****. 24 and will have 2 Cup wins. It's only going to get worse until he is older and regresses. We'll be hearing this kind of crap even more for the next 6-8 years though...

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA

Will be interesting to see how many cups he has when he's older and regressed.

Not even mad...... the team deserves those words.

Doughty's arrogance is justified.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
If Doughty really felt that way at the time, he would've called us out at the time as frauds like Toews did with Vancouver in 2011. I hate that guy and I'll even give him credit for that. What Doughty did was chicken ****

sjsharklover

Jun 22, 2008
san jose
So one game (which was fairly even) completely changed everything? Nah son.

Game 1 and 2 sharks dominated . Game 3 could have went either way in fact I think even in the overtime the sharks got out played but ended up winning...the kings adjusted after that ,the sharks did not The kings will win it all because of that..I don't know about the rest of you but I got the sense after game 4 that we lost it all..i was even more convince before Game 7 when Thornton was interviewed and was telling us all how relaxed he was....that is the main reason they have been leaving the playoffs early...that killer instinct...but we already know that

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Will be interesting to see how many cups he has when he's older and regressed.

Not even mad...... the team deserves those words.

Doughty's arrogance is justified.

It is not right to be arrogant just because things worked out your way. Doughty needs to be taught a lesson in humility. Saying that your team was confident is one thing, but saying that the other team was scared and given up is another. Also, saying the team deserves to hear this is a pretty ****** thing as well because they were the ones playing on the ice and the series loss affects them more than any of us (fans).

Honestly though, too much attention is being given from our side regarding the who/what/how of the Kings. Who the heck cares? They beat us, its done. Lets just look at the future and worry about things we can do/control. Concerning ourselves with what other teams players are saying will do nothing but rile up our fans on the forums. As if we really need any more of that.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
If Doughty really felt that way at the time, he would've called us out at the time as frauds like Toews did with Vancouver in 2011. I hate that guy and I'll even give him credit for that. What Doughty did was chicken ****

No more chicken **** than Thornton calling the Rangers soft after the Sharks just lost to them.

Doughty knows he'll have to answer for it. ..... At least i hope he thinks he will have to answer for it. ..... Ok, so he probably thinks the Sharks are cowards and won't respond. Can't blame him for drawing that conclusion. I guess lifting a cup makes you completely forget a JT beating only weeks before.

Makes him sound like a cocky d-bag, but his play justifies his attitude. Still..... it's distasteful. He could try and be a little more humble while being one of the best in the world.

Can the Sharks even feel the salt? :sarcasm:

Game 1 and 2 sharks dominated . Game 3 could have went either way in fact I think even in the overtime the sharks got out played but ended up winning...the kings adjusted after that ,the sharks did not The kings will win it all because of that..I don't know about the rest of you but I got the sense after game 4 that we lost it all..i was even more convince before Game 7 when Thornton was interviewed and was telling us all how relaxed he was....that is the main reason they have been leaving the playoffs early...that killer instinct...but we already know that

After game 4 the Sharks were fine.

After game 5 i know the fans leaving SAP were anticipating diarrhea. Can't speak for the team, but the Stalock Curling goal sure looked like the laxative that broke the dam. :laugh:

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
I still want to know what happened in game 5. That first period will haunt my dreams forever. It was like they just did not care at all.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I still want to know what happened in game 5. That first period will haunt my dreams forever. It was like they just did not care at all.

I was wrong - it wasn't complacency. It was a combination of lack of focus, lack of attention to detail, deer in headlights, passiveness, lack of urgency and then panic

Everything opposite of... drumroll...

Having a killer instinct.

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
It is not right to be arrogant just because things worked out your way. Doughty needs to be taught a lesson in humility. Saying that your team was confident is one thing, but saying that the other team was scared and given up is another. Also, saying the team deserves to hear this is a pretty ****** thing as well because they were the ones playing on the ice and the series loss affects them more than any of us (fans).

What he said wasn't even arrogant imo. They smelled fear (or complacency or lack of discipline, or whatever the hell it was) and jumped on it like rabid dogs. We didn't. Quick was almost crying, or on the verge of punching out reporters in his media scrum after game 3. The Kings were rattled, and we didn't twist the knife. It was telling that last year, after games 1 and 2, several Sharks players said that after game 1 they "realized" they could beat the Kings. To me, that suggests they went into the series expecting defeat. Sure, the Kings are the better team (not THAT much better, though the gap is widening), but if you expect to win, you have to believe it even when it's borderline irrational to do so. Put Doughty on the Sabres, and lock them into a seven game series with the Hawks, and he'll still go in believing 100% that the Sabres can win the series.

And yes, the team absolutely deserves to have their noses rubbed in this mess. I'm sorry, but there was just no excuse for what happened.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
Doughty is obviously rooting for us to win the cup next year like everyone else. :nod:

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
No more chicken **** than Thornton calling the Rangers soft after the Sharks just lost to them.

Doughty knows he'll have to answer for it. ..... At least i hope he thinks he will have to answer for it. ..... Ok, so he probably thinks the Sharks are cowards and won't respond. Can't blame him for drawing that conclusion. I guess lifting a cup makes you completely forget a JT beating only weeks before.

Makes him sound like a cocky d-bag, but his play justifies his attitude. Still..... it's distasteful. He could try and be a little more humble while being one of the best in the world.

Can the Sharks even feel the salt? :sarcasm:

After game 4 the Sharks were fine.

After game 5 i know the fans leaving SAP were anticipating diarrhea. Can't speak for the team, but the Stalock Curling goal sure looked like the laxative that broke the dam. :laugh:

Saying something right after a game is a little different than waiting a month to bring it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad