Pre-Game Talk: Where do we stand: 2014-2015 PRE season Talk Thread

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I would like for Perron and Bennett to be the top-6 LWs, even if I don't like Bennett on the left side much. I'm glad they both had strong games, although with us sending about 3 NHL forwards, I would be concerned if they didn't stand out.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I figured this team would get lit up with the young guns CBJ had in the line up.

Good on the D and Goalers.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Kind of a pleasant surprise, honestly. I know the Jackets weren't exactly putting their best roster out there, either but they have a good bit more young promising players than the Penguins do. Particularly up front. So to hold them scoreless at least seems like something. If not awfully boring, from the sound of it.

Really good to hear Bennett and Perron starting out strong. Hopefully Bonino just sharted himself, or something.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I hope Sheary and Sundqvist get a shot. The Pens should move either or both Duper and Kunitz and go for youth and cap relief.

Shed Dupuis, Lovejoy, Scuderi, Kunitz before July 1, then sign Boedker in the offseason and have some youth. Cullen will have his spot taken by Sundqvist for 1, Sheary as you said, keep Farnham around for energy and PK.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
On defense, Warsofsky got the most ice time with 25:45, Oleksy and McNeill the least with around 17:00 (both these guys had 7 minutes in PIM, though) and the rest all had about 20:00-21:00.
The forwards were also relatively balanced with Perron, Beau and Sheary leading the way while Sestito, Zlobin and TK saw the least ice.

Damnit i wanted to be complete debbie downer. It's not a Pens season without it afterall.

Don't worry, there'll be PLENTY of opportunity for that. ;)

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I like the wait and see approach right now.

Seasons about to start. Injuries are gonna happen.

Either we may need the Kunitz's, LJ's or other teams in the league will need a Kunitz or Scuderi's, etc.

ETA: Before July.1 though, i'm all for it.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Shed Dupuis, Lovejoy, Scuderi, Kunitz before July 1, then sign Boedker in the offseason and have some youth. Cullen will have his spot taken by Sundqvist for 1, Sheary as you said, keep Farnham around for energy and PK.

I've been summoned. Let's do it, and get Despres back. The dream lives on!

Boedker-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist
Plotnikov-Bonino-Bennett
Sheary-Sundqvist-Fehr
Farnham

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot/Dumoulin-Despres
Pouliot/Dumoulin-Cole
Clendening

Fleury
X

Depressingly close to having that team, tbh. Don't trade Despres and it's only Boedker that they'd be missing, there's no such thing as a perfect team but damn.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
On defense, Warsofsky got the most ice time with 25:45, Oleksy and McNeill the least with around 17:00 (both these guys had 7 minutes in PIM, though) and the rest all had about 20:00-21:00.
The forwards were also relatively balanced with Perron, Beau and Sheary leading the way while Sestito, Zlobin and TK saw the least ice.

Warsofsky was the only real PP QB type in the lineup, so it makes sense that he played a bunch.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Here's a stream-of-thought post for you guys:

Was at the game tonight and it wasn't pretty. I can't really say anyone had a good game. Bennett was the best player on the ice the second half of the game, but again, that isn't saying much. He was shooting and he had some nice chances and a couple nice passes. The team was starved of talent.

I actually did not like Perron's game at all tonight. I'm not sure he passed one time during even strength.

That being said, both teams decided to take the approach that involved not dumping the puck and trying to out-skill the opposition. The Pens did more dumping than the Jackets, but Perron was holding on to the puck far too often and not generating chances while doing so. He had more turnovers than shots from my count.

Every goalie who played tonight was good, for both teams.

Sundqvist camped in front of the net on the power play, Bennett was roaming the blue line for the most part. Bennett killed some penalties too, and did not look out of place doing so.

Honestly, the player who had the best game in my opinion was David Warsofsky. He's a good skater, appeared to have good instincts and did not look uncomfortable with the puck. He was the first d-man out there during 3-3.

Half the reason I went to this game was obviously for the Pens, but I was very curious to see how the young CBJ talent looked. Bjorkstrand had a couple chances, but was as invisible as can be when he didn't have the puck. Same with many of their other youngsters, such as Milano and Rychel. I don't remember saying Rychel's name once. They also decided to never dump the puck and try to out-skill the Pens (can't blame them - there was little to no offensive talent on the Pens' roster).

Farnham was the most dangerous offensive player for the first half of the game. I'm not sure if that's a compliment. He was a ball of energy. He took a nasty spill into the boards late in the game and didn't come back out. He was on the bench, though.

3-3 was fun. It's going to be ridiculous seeing Crosby/Malkin/Kessel/Letang. It will be unfair and I would not be surprised if the Pens' 3-3 record was overwhelmingly positive.

Definite negatives:

- first three penalties for the Pens were committed by Perron, Lovejoy and Bennett.
- Perron needs to learn how to pass or dump upon entering the offensive zone and being covered by the entire opposing team.
- The team as iced tonight was ****ing boring. I expected it, but holy ****.
- Bonino was announced as a starter but didn't play?
- Sundqvist didn't do a lot. Wasn't bad, but really didn't do anything of value, either.
- Nobody really did anything of value, actually.

The management staff had dinner at Ted's Montana Grill, which is also where I had dinner. It was delicious. JR is much shorter than I expected and Billy G was looking pretty stylish. He was bigger than expected. I hope their food was as delicious as mine, and you guys should definitely go there and get George's Cadillac (bison burger) if/when you go to a game in Columbus.

EDIT: Big + to the guy from Cincinnati who was sitting beside me with his daughter. He clearly watches the team a lot. Had a great grasp on the team and who actually sucked vs. who the team wants us to think is good. He was not a fan of Sutter, Scuderi or Kunitz. I hope it was one of you guys, because he knew enough to make me think he spent his free time posting about hockey, lol. Section 204. WHICH ONE OF YOU WAS IT

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Thanks for the rundown, digits.

Bonino was announced as missing the game because he was sick.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Awesome! Sounds mostly-bad but still... thanks for the rundown. I don't mind the puck on Perron's stick since he has a lot of talent... but he's certainly going to have to learn to distribute much better if he's going to have a long-term spot next to Crosby or Malkin. It's kind of funny since that's at least part of the reason that they have him on his wrong wing right now, right? So he can take/make passes easier on the breakout?

In any case... everyone seems to agree that Bennett has looked good just about every day of preseason and camp, so far. Same as last year, given. But still a good sign.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Thanks for the rundown, digits.

Bonino was announced as missing the game because he was sick.

Gotcha. The team needed him tonight (well, you know what I mean). I actually think Perron/Bonino/Bennett would be a really good line.

I was hard on Perron. Let me clarify that. He didnt have an awful game. I just expected more from the most talented offensive player in a game full of prospects and AHLers. His center was Sundqvist for the most part, who I think doesn't look quite ready.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I was hard on Perron. Let me clarify that. He didnt have an awful game. I just expected more from the most talented offensive player in a game full of prospects and AHLers. His center was Sundqvist for the most part, who I think doesn't look quite ready.

His center was Sundqvist? Was he on the LW or RW then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad