Pre-Game Talk: Where do we stand: 2014-2015 PRE season Talk Thread

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Ummm.... Not many people wanted kessel. He won nothing in Boston or Toronto.... And you now expect him to lead a team to the cup?? Weird...

Huh? not many could afford him, his 8 teams most had cap problems. Who would NOT love a fast player with elite goalm scoring, underrated playmaking, is able to create on his own. Sure, he wont LEAD a team anywhere by himself, he's not a player like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, etc but most teams would love him. Boston is ********, they traded Seguin. Nuff said. Leafs HAD to trade him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Ummm.... Not many people wanted kessel. He won nothing in Boston or Toronto.... And you now expect him to lead a team to the cup?? Weird...

Oh boy!

That escalated rather quickly.:laugh:

My point stands that alot of other Metro teams were probably surprised we landed Kessel.
Like a "how? they'll never fit his 8M caphit in" type of thinking.

I won't touch your "lead the team" comment cuz it's not a good one.

Last edited:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Nope. The Central will be nasty this year (and for the next 2-3 probably)

Chicago and St. Louis are already loaded from top to bottom and with few weaknesses. Dallas and Nashville can now also be counted among the teams in that division with sufficient depth at the important positions to give anyone problems in a 7 game series. Minnesota is solid, Winnipeg is solid, Colorado will struggle a bit but still has plenty of talent to build on. IMO that division, not ours, is the deepest / toughest. There really isn't another division in hockey that's close and there probably won't be for a while unless a bunch of trades are made to dilute the depth in that division.

I disagree. I think the Central will end up being old news this year. Chicago lost a ton of depth. St. Louis is going nowhere under Hitchcock. Nashville was one of the worst teams in the second half of the season last year. Dallas needs to show they can keep the puck out of their own net before they are considered playoff contenders. And while Minnesota and Winnipeg may be "solid" teams, they don't strike me as legitimate Cup contenders at all.

Your gold and black glasses, take them off. We're definitely in the picture if we stay healthy but with a very young defense that is pretty much a stange mix of untested pairings right now, you need to keep your expectations in check this year. We may both score a lot and get scored on a lot.

While no one can say the defense isn't a question mark, it's better than the defense the Penguins had going into the playoffs last year.

The Islanders are a deep and talented team. They don't have many marquee names but that doesn't mean they're not skilled, fast, etc. They are getting better every year just by virtue of their young, skilled players getting stronger, more confident, etc. See also: Strome, Lee, etc. The Islanders are a GOOD team. People need to wake up if they think they're not going to be making some noise. I think they definitely will, starting this year and especially the next 2-4 years. Goalie situation is a little sketchy long-term but that's about it.

Maybe, but I don't think it would be surprising if they took a step back before taking another step forward.

In short, I think you're over-selling the Penguins and under-selling some other very good teams. There's going to be a lot of parity in both conferences this year. In the east Tampa, Washington, NYR, NYI, Columbus, maybe even Detroit could all give us a run. Boston will be sorting things out with all their roster changes but I expect within 12+ months they'll be right back in the thick of it after making some adjustments

Meh, Detroit is old news. People need to stop pretending it's still 2008 when they talk about them. And really I think we're crowning Columbus too soon. They win 2 playoffs games a couple of seasons ago and they are labeled contenders.

See above. I think we can handle them if our defense matures quickly but if not, we're going to see some fireworks this year against that team. Some nice 6-5 type games. I don't think with our D anyone can say we're clearly better than the Islanders. We clearly have the bigger group of elite talents but they clearly have better depth and a better D.

I think you're one of those people who bought into the whole "ZOMG THE ISLANDERS HAVE THE BEST 4TH LINE EVAR!!!!" hype. And while their 4th line was good, their middle six was underwhelming. I thought it showed against the Capitals in the playoffs last year. I think the Penguins can easily have better depth at forward than the Islanders do this year. And if the Islanders defense is better than the Penguins, it isn't by much, and the gap could get closer if Pouliot progresses over the course of the season.

On a side note, I find it interesting no one has brought up the Flyers yet in this thread.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Flyers have a pretty impressive D prospect pool now.
I don't see them contending until a few of them are fully mature.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Pierre McGuire says the Penguins are the most interesting team to watch this season. Basically, he believes they'll either be great and change the way a lot of teams build their rosters (with much greater emphasis on scoring goals again), OR they'll implode under the bad and inexperienced blueline and be forced to scrap this four lines of offense concept. I tend to believe him in this case, although probably not as dramatically as he says. But we really can go either way.

For argument's sake, the last time I can recall a team openly trying to implement a four-line attack, it was the 2005-06 Buffalo Sabres (and all they did was win the Presidents' Trophy that year).

I believe Columbus might be the class of this division now. I like their coach. They are as big and mean as any team in the NHL these days, and they have loads of young talent (many of whom seem to fly under the radar). They also might have the best goaltender in the division, and possibly even the best coach (I like Richards' style). Adding Saad was huge, as well.

I expect the Hurricanes to be better. Not good enough to reach the playoffs but definitely enough to be a thorn in everybody else's side. They were really done in by bad goaltending last season but Eddie Lack is quite good imo. I like where they're trending.

We have no idea what to expect from Dave Hakstol and John Hynes, but I think the Devils will be among the worst teams in the NHL this season (and I think they're OK with that). Jersey seems to be trying to do what Toronto is doing, but the big differences are a much weaker prospect pool and a complete unknown behind the bench (instead of arguably the top coach in the biz). As for Philly, who knows! Berube's shelf life was short but he seemed to want to build Philly into a defensive team without the personnel for it. Hakstol might make a big impact but we won't know for a while. I do think they'll be better, though.

The Rangers have the winning pedigree under Vigneault, but their window is closing imo. I still think they're a playoff team. The Caps might be hurt early on without Backstrom but are too good to miss the playoffs, imo.

SO, if the Blue Jackets, Rangers and Caps are playoff locks, then that leaves the Pens, Isles, Flyers and Hurricanes for one or two spots. It may only be one spot. Other teams that could be in the mix for those playoff spots include Detroit, Florida, Ottawa, MAYBE Toronto. I think Boston has regressed to the point where the playoffs are almost out of reach, while the Sabres are nowhere near ready yet imo. I assume Tampa Bay and Montreal are in.

It's going to be a great race. If you are a true hockey fan, not just a Penguins fan, you are hoping this Rutherford style works. Because it should be fun to watch and it would be great if other teams tried to copy.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think the Isles are our competition. They also play a game that has been used to beat us before. They have the characters to get guys riled up and off their game, and the talent to make us pay when we take penalties. Same goes for Columbus.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Pierre McGuire says the Penguins are the most interesting team to watch this season. Basically, he believes they'll either be great and change the way a lot of teams build their rosters (with much greater emphasis on scoring goals again), OR they'll implode under the bad and inexperienced blueline and be forced to scrap this four lines of offense concept. I tend to believe him in this case, although probably not as dramatically as he says. But we really can go either way.

For argument's sake, the last time I can recall a team openly trying to implement a four-line attack, it was the 2005-06 Buffalo Sabres (and all they did was win the Presidents' Trophy that year).

I believe Columbus might be the class of this division now. I like their coach. They are as big and mean as any team in the NHL these days, and they have loads of young talent (many of whom seem to fly under the radar). They also might have the best goaltender in the division, and possibly even the best coach (I like Richards' style). Adding Saad was huge, as well.

I expect the Hurricanes to be better. Not good enough to reach the playoffs but definitely enough to be a thorn in everybody else's side. They were really done in by bad goaltending last season but Eddie Lack is quite good imo. I like where they're trending.

We have no idea what to expect from Dave Hakstol and John Hynes, but I think the Devils will be among the worst teams in the NHL this season (and I think they're OK with that). Jersey seems to be trying to do what Toronto is doing, but the big differences are a much weaker prospect pool and a complete unknown behind the bench (instead of arguably the top coach in the biz). As for Philly, who knows! Berube's shelf life was short but he seemed to want to build Philly into a defensive team without the personnel for it. Hakstol might make a big impact but we won't know for a while. I do think they'll be better, though.

The Rangers have the winning pedigree under Vigneault, but their window is closing imo. I still think they're a playoff team. The Caps might be hurt early on without Backstrom but are too good to miss the playoffs, imo.

SO, if the Blue Jackets, Rangers and Caps are playoff locks, then that leaves the Pens, Isles, Flyers and Hurricanes for one or two spots. It may only be one spot. Other teams that could be in the mix for those playoff spots include Detroit, Florida, Ottawa, MAYBE Toronto. I think Boston has regressed to the point where the playoffs are almost out of reach, while the Sabres are nowhere near ready yet imo. I assume Tampa Bay and Montreal are in.

It's going to be a great race. If you are a true hockey fan, not just a Penguins fan, you are hoping this Rutherford style works. Because it should be fun to watch and it would be great if other teams tried to copy.

Why does Columbus get overrated every single year?

I'm sorry but a team that has Rene Bourque in it's top 6, and Jack Johnson on it's top pair is not "the class of the division"

Wake me up when they win a single playoff round, ever.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Columbus is without a doubt a playoff team. They are sort of us like us in 2007. You know they are going to be good, but not real sure how good.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Im sort of sick of hearing about Columbus. Theyre nothing but potential for now. Bobrovsky isnt a goalie Id trust behind that defense.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Why does Columbus get overrated every single year?

I'm sorry but a team that has Rene Bourque in it's top 6, and Jack Johnson on it's top pair is not "the class of the division"

Wake me up when they win a single playoff round, ever.

Singling out Bourque is dishonest analysis of their roster. Their forward depth is phenomenal.

Their downfall could be their D, however, I do agree with you there. If Murray stays healthy, they are a dangerous team. He probably won't. They are a #1 D away from being top 5 in the league imo.

I watch the Jackets a lot. They are actually good. They can't stay healthy.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Columbus is without a doubt a playoff team. They are sort of us like us in 2007. You know they are going to be good, but not real sure how good.

Say what? We had Crosby and Malkin in 07, there's no comparison there.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
We were an unproven team. That was the point. People thought we were going to do well, but we still hadn't done anything yet.

Yes, people thought we were going to do well because we had Malkin and Crosby. Obviously Columbus doesn't have 1 player of that caliber, let alone 2.

Pit also had Staal, Fleury, Whitney, and Letang in the pipeline in 07. Sorry, but I see zero comparison between the 07 Pens and the current Jackets.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

So basically our offense is going to do well but the young defense has the potential to struggle? That's some real expert analysis by Pierre. So glad this guy never got near being our GM.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Disappointed that there's no scrimmage this year. Hopefully they stream some of the untelevised preseason games to make up for it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
So basically our offense is going to do well but the young defense has the potential to struggle? That's some real expert analysis by Pierre. So glad this guy never got near being our GM.

From what I understand, he was going to be our GM, but he couldn't accept a role without full and complete control. He declined and they hired JR.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00