Pre-Game Talk: Where do we stand: 2014-2015 PRE season Talk Thread

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Awesome! Sounds mostly-bad but still... thanks for the rundown. I don't mind the puck on Perron's stick since he has a lot of talent... but he's certainly going to have to learn to distribute much better if he's going to have a long-term spot next to Crosby or Malkin. It's kind of funny since that's at least part of the reason that they have him on his wrong wing right now, right? So he can take/make passes easier on the breakout?

In any case... everyone seems to agree that Bennett has looked good just about every day of preseason and camp, so far. Same as last year, given. But still a good sign.

BB looked great last pre-season, got hurt, then he was behind the 8 ball all season. I just laughed when JR said they rushed him or whatever nonsense he was sputtering. BB got hurt in college. Then he got hurt in the A. Then he got hurt in the NHL.

Can you spot a pattern?

Anyone who questions his talent to play in the NHL is clueless. He has never put together a full, healthy season since I started following him during his draft year. So it's kind of obvious what needs to happen for him to fulfill his promise.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
No mention of Jary? Was it an unimpressive shutout?

Zatkoff played the first two periods and looked really good, with one shot that hit the post when he was down and beaten. Jarry played the third, 3-3 and shootout and looked just as good.

The goalies really weren't tested all that much, though. There were chances, but few great ones.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Zatkoff played the first two periods and looked really good, with one shot that hit the post when he was down and beaten. Jarry played the third, 3-3 and shootout and looked just as good.

The goalies really weren't tested all that much, though. There were chances, but few great ones.
Thanks.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
BB looked great last pre-season, got hurt, then he was behind the 8 ball all season. I just laughed when JR said they rushed him or whatever nonsense he was sputtering. BB got hurt in college. Then he got hurt in the A. Then he got hurt in the NHL.

Can you spot a pattern?

Anyone who questions his talent to play in the NHL is clueless. He has never put together a full, healthy season since I started following him during his draft year. So it's kind of obvious what needs to happen for him to fulfill his promise.

I see the pattern, Bennett wasn't manly enough and his lack of manliness repeatedly sidelined him with shame.

I could see someone thinking Bennett gets injured so much because he was rushed and therefore not ready for the level he found himself in, leading to injury. I'd say he's just cursed with highly questionable durability, to put it kindly. Saying he was rushed is being kind to Bennett, tbh, JR should know better, if that's what he really thinks.

I'm confident in the player but not the body holding up; this is probably his last shot and I'd wager that he had it last season.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Can you spot a pattern?

Oh, for sure.

I've gotten down a bit on BB over the years. But it has very, very little to do with what I have seen of his body of work once he's healthy and relatively settled into the lineup after a few games. It's just that that is such an unfortunately small sample size to this point in his career. Mostly due to injury... but also some misuse.

It's not too late for him. He's just missed a lot of time. Not impossible to overcome, just more difficult with each passing week on IR and away from game action. It's all just health. If he can somehow turn his fortunes around there, I still think he can force the issue and work his way into an important role on this team.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Guy has been super unlucky. I know at this point, people don't want to hear it, or care. You miss that much time and the reason kinda becomes irrelevant, I guess, but man.......Gets his wrist cut from an opponent's skate, gets his knee rolled up on and gets the mumps just name a few.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I hope Sundqvist and Bennett stick around for a long time. They could be something special, and end up being 2/3 of a damn good 3rd line.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I see the pattern, Bennett wasn't manly enough and his lack of manliness repeatedly sidelined him with shame.

I could see someone thinking Bennett gets injured so much because he was rushed and therefore not ready for the level he found himself in, leading to injury. I'd say he's just cursed with highly questionable durability, to put it kindly. Saying he was rushed is being kind to Bennett, tbh, JR should know better, if that's what he really thinks.

I'm confident in the player but not the body holding up; this is probably his last shot and I'd wager that he had it last season.

Oh, for sure.

I've gotten down a bit on BB over the years. But it has very, very little to do with what I have seen of his body of work once he's healthy and relatively settled into the lineup after a few games. It's just that that is such an unfortunately small sample size to this point in his career. Mostly due to injury... but also some misuse.

It's not too late for him. He's just missed a lot of time. Not impossible to overcome, just more difficult with each passing week on IR and away from game action. It's all just health. If he can somehow turn his fortunes around there, I still think he can force the issue and work his way into an important role on this team.

JR acting like him playing in the A would have prevented him from being injury prone or made him better is silly. He just needs to be healthy, but I have no clue if that's even possible. I've watched him for five years and each year he's been hurt in one form or another.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
JR acting like him playing in the A would have prevented him from being injury prone or made him better is silly. He just needs to be healthy, but I have no clue if that's even possible. I've watched him for five years and each year he's been hurt in one form or another.

I think that was JR trying to deflect some criticism off of Bennett more than him honestly thinking he could've prevented any of his issues by handling him differently.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Yes.

Like you said very well and very succinctly... "He just needs to be healthy... but is that even possible?" Unfortunately I ask myself that question too often these days about other players on the team. Rather massively important and expensive players.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think that was JR trying to deflect some criticism off of Bennett more than him honestly thinking he could've prevented any of his issues by handling him differently.

It's possible, who knows. However, people are going to hate him for being injury prone no matter what JR says.

Yes.

Like you said very well and very succinctly... "He just needs to be healthy... but is that even possible?" Unfortunately I ask myself that question too often these days about other players on the team. Rather massively important and expensive players.

I'm not sure they will ever get 82 games a season from BB. If they can get 70 or so, that will be a blessing.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

It's definitely silly, Bennett gets more of the fluke injuries than the standard hockey injuries. He can be in the Crosby club.

Wrist cut by a skate, wrist doing whatever it did the second time, failed surgery, knee taken out by Sill in practice, that player going after his other knee, irrc, and the mumps. These aren't really awkward hit injuries or a too weak player getting crushed badly. The wrist now might be a chronic vulnerability, but we'll see going forward.

There's not much that can be done there, it could have happened anywhere and at any time.

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
@3074326
Thanks for the recap. I'm hoping to catch a game in person here in enemy territory, kind of liked it better when they were a Western team and I could cheer for them. Since I had to miss both the Pens & Bucs because of a job interview, it's nice they both won. I think the next Pens game is televised, can't wait.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
@3074326
Thanks for the recap. I'm hoping to catch a game in person here in enemy territory, kind of liked it better when they were a Western team and I could cheer for them. Since I had to miss both the Pens & Bucs because of a job interview, it's nice they both won. I think the next Pens game is televised, can't wait.

I liked it better when they were in the West for the same reason. It's a nice arena and I like the fans. But they don't like me. They hate Ohio (especially Columbus-area native) Penguins fans. And I get that.

Stubhub has killer CBJ ticket prices by the way. When the Pens are off and I'm off, I go every time.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Hope (not just a Beau anymore) Man Bennett gets the luck he's deserved the last few seasons. Excited to see what he can do with capable linemates once the games get real.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hope (not just a Beau anymore) Man Bennett gets the luck he's deserved the last few seasons. Excited to see what he can do with capable linemates once the games get real.

Yes and no. He's been with capable linemates before...and he did nothing with it. Last year he got time with Geno and couldn't stick. Injuries didn't help. When he came back he shied away from any and all contact. So let's not act like it's been Glass-Adams-Bennett his whole career because it hasn't.

We know what we're getting really. We know what he's capable of. The question will be if he sustain it. The real test for Bennett will be come December/January. More importantly if he can stick or not when given chances. Pre-season / camp is all well and good and I'm happy he's doing well...but bear in mind it IS pre-season and camp, not he regular season.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Not all 1-0 games are boring games. Just like not all 7-6 games are exciting games.

On average your 7-6 game is going to be a hell of a lot more exciting than the 1-0 game.

Even in the playoffs most 1-0 games arent exciting, its just the ramifications of the game that make tensions high.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
On average your 7-6 game is going to be a hell of a lot more exciting than the 1-0 game.

Even in the playoffs most 1-0 games arent exciting, its just the ramifications of the game that make tensions high.

Yeah. Honestly I tend to agree with this.

I suppose it matters a lot as to what you watch hockey FOR, primarily. Like... some people say they love the game for stuff like board battles, smart defensive plays, shot blocks and face-punching. These are all things that I appreciate but don't really watch the game FOR. To each their own... but none of that really strikes me as high quality entertainment.

There are 1-0 goaltending duels that can be exciting. But that just isn't MOST 1-0 games in this league, nowadays.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Awesome! Sounds mostly-bad but still... thanks for the rundown. I don't mind the puck on Perron's stick since he has a lot of talent... but he's certainly going to have to learn to distribute much better if he's going to have a long-term spot next to Crosby or Malkin. It's kind of funny since that's at least part of the reason that they have him on his wrong wing right now, right? So he can take/make passes easier on the breakout?

In any case... everyone seems to agree that Bennett has looked good just about every day of preseason and camp, so far. Same as last year, given. But still a good sign.

I tend to think coaches want wingers on their natural side is for defense purposes. Because coaches think defense more than offense 90% of the time. And to be fair, it probably IS more difficult to get pucks out of the defensive zone if you're on your 'wrong' side.

That said, some guys have been playing their wrong side for years. So it really bugs me when a coach moves an obvious right or left winger to their 'natural' side. It's dumb.

Can you spot a pattern?

I think two things need to happen, actually: he needs to stay healthy, but ALSO someone in this org. needs to actually believe in his talent. That hasn't happened yet, imo, and now we're two regimes in.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yes and no. He's been with capable linemates before...and he did nothing with it. Last year he got time with Geno and couldn't stick. Injuries didn't help.

Well the few games Spaling-Malkin-Bennett were a thing they were pretty dominant despite Spaling being unable to finish, so I think saying he couldn't stick is a bit disingenuous.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Impossible to draw a lot from a 5 minute highlight vid, but beau looked very visible... As he should considering that lineup. Still nice to see him play well though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad