Where do the Ottawa Senators Truly Stand?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It all depends on how this team grows during the season.

We have the potential for player growth from Ryan, Turris, Ceci, Cowen, Lehner, Lazar (if he sticks past 9 games), Weir, Hoffman, Chiasson, Stone, Zibby and Karlsson. If the majority of those guys get a little better, be should be in decent shape.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Something that doesn't get mentioned much is how the Atlantic division is pretty weak. And who in it truly improved for this season?

Boston will still be good but they lost Iginla and Boychuk. That will matter.

Montreal has like one guy that can score, 2 good defensemen, and a great goalie, not much else.

Tampa is ok, but they really rode Bishop last year for points. Let's see if he can repeat that and we'll also see what missing MSL for a full season will be like.

Detroit you can't count out.

Boston is on the decline. Other than what you said, Chara is turning 38 this year and they will be much less of a threat without him patrolling the blue line half the time. He already took a step back last season, another one this season and their blueline takes a big hit, also with it being minus Boychuk.

Detroit is on the decline too, but they have some goos youngsters like Nyqvist, Tatar. We'll see what they do this season.

Tampa is good, they might even win the division. I'm not scared of them though.

Montreal has many holes, they're like a smaller and worse version of us. Better goaltending though, obviously. They lost a ton of leadership in the off season, and we saw what that did to us last year.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Boston is on the decline. Other than what you said, Chara is turning 38 this year and they will be much less of a threat without him patrolling the blue line half the time. He already took a step back last season, another one this season and their blueline takes a big hit, also with it being minus Boychuk.

This is crazy. Chara on the decline, sure, but Boston as a whole? Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron and Marchand all ares are under 30. They also have two young defensemen in Krug and Hamilton who picked up some solid experience last year and have much to build on for this year. That Rask guy ain't no slouch either.

I don't see them repeat as Presidents Trophy winners but this idea of them being on the decline is ludicrous.

BigBush*

I would say Boston is certainly on the decline. Trading Seguin was the main reason, losing Iginla and Boychuk hurts. Chara is starting to show his age.

They are still a great team with good youth but I don't think they are better than last year

BigBush*

I should add I agree with some of the above posters. While I don't think Ottawa has a great team, I think they will have a decent season because a lot of teams in the Atlantic didnt improve this year.
I think Boston, Montreal, Detroit, and Toronto are all a little worse then last year.
Florida got better, still not great. Tampa got better, but will need another Vezina like season from Bishop to be the top dog in the east

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
This is crazy. Chara on the decline, sure, but Boston as a whole? Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron and Marchand all ares are under 30. They also have two young defensemen in Krug and Hamilton who picked up some solid experience last year and have much to build on for this year. That Rask guy ain't no slouch either.

I don't see them repeat as Presidents Trophy winners but this idea of them being on the decline is ludicrous.

You think they'll continue to be Cup contenders?

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
You think they'll continue to be Cup contenders?

I do. Has more to do with the lack of competition in the east though.

They may have taken a step back, but I don't think that step is far enough for anyone in the Atlantic to challenge them. Anything can happen, but they're still clearly the best team around these parts.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That doesn't mean they're Cup contenders, but I guess we'll see.

I don't think they are as good as last year but they are pretty damn close. When you have that d core with Krejci Bergeron down the middle and Rask in net they are strong in all the positions you need to be.

Seidenberg didn't play last year he is better than Boychuk so really they just lost iginla. They have some good youngsters coming up too I don't see a big difference.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'm not scared of their D without Chara.

They lose that element of fear top line players had when they played the Bruins.

The "Oh no I'll be matched against Chara all night, I gotta watch my ass" feeling. It's a real thing.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
a few years ago Boston was essentially unbeatable. they've stayed strong but I see them as a lot more human now. i'd still say they're the team to beat, sure. pittsburgh automatically gets that pass too. but after that? tampa gets a lot of love, but they had a break-out year with a really young team, nothing to say they can repeat it, young players sometimes take a step back as we well know ;)

as to the rest, bring 'em on :D

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I love Boston so I'm of the mind that they remain the best team in the East and I think by far. No doubt that Montreal owns them though!

The Senators are going to be solid this year: Montreal lost leadership and I expect them to suffer for it in ways they didn't anticipate (like us without Gonchar and Alfie), Toronto remains unthreatening due to their system and coaching (if they change coaches though watch out), Tampa is looking solid but we shall see if Bishop can maintain his incredible numbers, Buffalo is rebuilding, Florida isn't looking too hot and Detroit is in the decline.

I could see the Senators being top 2 in the division

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm interested to see the psychological after-effects of the big, bad Bruins getting steamrolled by a bunch of smurfs. We have to remember, that happened one year after a heartbreaking Cup final loss, as well. Two years of that knife twisting in the heart will have some lingering effects.

I have a strong feeling they're going to have a big drop this season, but then have a recovery year next year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would say Boston is certainly on the decline. Trading Seguin was the main reason, losing Iginla and Boychuk hurts. Chara is starting to show his age.

They are still a great team with good youth but I don't think they are better than last year

Yes, it certainly appears to be the case that Boston is in decline. I don't think they will do as well as last season.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The more I think about it, the better I think we will do. We are better than last year, and I can see us finishing higher in the division than everyone but Boston and Tampa

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Well unless Anderson stands on his head, I don't see the sens doing all that well.
Bobby Ryan has been brutal the last two years, I have no idea how he got that contract, at least Kyle looks better and better as he gets older and stronger. Our top forwards will finish with around 60 points at best so I am not sure how they can win enough games to make any noise.
On the bright side Anderson should be on his good year again I think.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
To be fair to Ryan, and I was hard on him last year, but he did start exceptionally well and then took a big nosedive after he got injured/wasn't selected for the Olympics. I think that he'll have a nice rebound season.

The thing is that our team is hardworking from top to bottom. Generally, even without a high average level of talent, hard working teams can overachieve with the right coach. MacLean showed two years ago he can be that kind of coach.

Obviously goaltending will matter a lot as well because we did get otherworldly shot stopping that year. That said last year we suffered from really poor and inconsistent goaltending as well. Something in the middle I think will give us a shot at the playoffs, anything better and we're in IMO.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Anyone else notice some of the "experts" beginning to walk back their predictions last night? Funny we went from a bottom 5 lock to potentially being able to squeek in to the playoffs in about a week's time, i expect this to continue. My fav was the prediciton that EK would win the Norris yet we would still finish second last in the div (Hey ya never know but that would be a very strange season).

love this trojan ad :sarcasm:

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
Yes! I honestly wanted to make a topic about this. I understand the need for ads for monetization, but I click close and it comes up another 4 times. It's excessive.

Every time you scroll your mouse over the ad, it opens.Quite annoying, and easy to forget.

I think the Senators may just squeak into the playoffs (Boston, TB, NYR, Bruins, Penguins, Devils, Philly, Ottawa). The first twenty games are going to be important for confidence over the season, regardless of whether or not the rest of the season goes well.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Minor point, but you flipped the Atlantic and Metro. It's easy to remember, because the Atlantic division is the one where almost none of the teams are near the Atlantic.
Montreal, Toronto, Boston, and Buffalo connect to the Atlantic via a navigable waterway, while Florida plays in an arena just a few miles from the Atlantic, and Tampa Bay is on the Gulf of Mexico. In the Metropolitan Division, New York, Brooklyn, Philadelphia, and New Jersey have harbors, while Washington is on the Potomac. Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Carolina are landlocked, as is Ottawa in the Atlantic Division. Who really cares about the nomenclature?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad