Where do the Ottawa Senators Truly Stand?

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Just outside with a decent chance of making it in. Hard to see them being in the McDavid sweepstakes unless the goaltending is really bad. I think (hope) Anderson bounces back after a horrible last season.

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
Honestly could see the Sens in the playoffs. They always seem to excel in the underdog role...and **** the bed when expectations are high.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think they may make some noise this year but I can't see them making the playoffs this year and I think they finish 12th in the East.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Despite what everybody says about them, they are a bubble team.

I think when it comes to the east... you have 3-4 'shoe-ins'...
Basically Atlantic is likely to be some combination of Montreal, Tampa and Boston for top three...
And the Metro will have Pittsburgh in its top three. Then you have the other teams in the Metro fighting for the other two spots - Washington, New Jersey, Rangers, Philadelphia

And then there's the teams left in the Wild Card hunt...
Ottawa, Detroit, Columbus, Islanders, Carolina, Toronto, plus the four aforementioned Atlantic teams.

Then Buffalo and Florida at the very bottom.

And from most sports people - that's pretty much how I've been hearing it play out. Ottawa is at the bottom end of the wild card bubble.

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
No fans wants his team to lose, but I'd like either the playoffs or a lottery pick. Eichel or McDavid would be so damn great, this team would get a huge boost

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Honestly could see the Sens in the playoffs. They always seem to excel in the underdog role...and **** the bed when expectations are high.
Exactly. They've always been this kind of team.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I think when it comes to the east... you have 3-4 'shoe-ins'...
Basically Metro is likely to be some combination of Montreal, Tampa and Boston for top three...
And Atlantic will have Pittsburgh in its top three. Then you have the other teams in the Atlantic fighting for the other two spots - Washington, New Jersey, Rangers

And then there's the teams left in the Wild Card hunt...
Ottawa, Detroit, Columbus, Islanders, Carolina, Toronto, plus the three aforementioned Atlantic teams.

Then Buffalo and Florida at the very bottom.

And from most sports people - that's pretty much how I've been hearing it play out. Ottawa is at the bottom end of the wild card bubble.

Minor point, but you flipped the Atlantic and Metro. It's easy to remember, because the Atlantic division is the one where almost none of the teams are near the Atlantic.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
The fact our GM is calling for PeskySens in a news conference today while ignoring we'd need Hasek-level goaltending from Anderson/Lehner shows we are a long way from elite status. Senators are at best a bubble team but could well be in the fight for McDavid as well.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
We can sustain no slumps for a shot at the playoffs.

Edit: I mean no player season-long slumps.

Last edited:

h2owned

Nov 17, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Eklund and Sportsnet ranked the Atlantic as follows
Ek Sportsnet
1)Tampa Bay Boston
2)Boston Tampa Bay
3)Toronto Montreal
4)Montreal Detroit
5)Detroit Toronto
6)Florida Ottawa
7)Ottawa Florida
8)Buffalo Buffalo

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Eklund and Sportsnet ranked the Atlantic as follows
Ek Sportsnet
1)Tampa Bay Boston
2)Boston Tampa Bay
3)Toronto Montreal
4)Montreal Detroit
5)Detroit Toronto
6)Florida Ottawa
7)Ottawa Florida
8)Buffalo Buffalo

Why in gods name would you quote Eklund?

Since when does he know anything when it comes to hockey?

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We could really use McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, or Kylington.

This would be a great tank year.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Should be better than last year. So yes I predict playoffs

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Minor point, but you flipped the Atlantic and Metro. It's easy to remember, because the Atlantic division is the one where almost none of the teams are near the Atlantic.

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking.
I wish that they hadn't reused the name and then flipped most of the teams from the old Atlantic into the Metro... just too weird.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We will be solidly in 7th or 6th spot by the time the playoffs start

Barring any serious injuries of course

I'm confident in this group

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
I think this team could finish really anywhere, but to be more specific i guess a bubble team.

I think it all depends how they play. Do they play as a true 5 man unit when out there and as a full team, or do they lay back waiting for someone else to do it all? In the preseason they had the msot success when they skated together and did everything by committee. This isnt a star studed lineup for the most part, but they do have guys that can all contribute in all 3 zones and i think if they follow that pesky kind of play then we will have success.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I'd be happy with playoffs, or a top 5 pick. Be disappointed otherwise, although I expect I will be disappointed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad