When will the Oilers make the playoffs again?

Next Playoff Appearance

• Total voters

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I don't even care that much if the Oilers make the playoffs or not, it is not like they can compete for the cup anyway, nor are they doing anything to move in that direction. Until they fix their roster every season is nothing more then white noise. If not for McDavid, I am not even sure I would care to watch the team.

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The year after they trade McDavid for 1/4 of an NHL roster and a couple of 1sts.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
It's a Mickey Mouse franchise. They aren't serious about winning, you aren't serious if you keep the same managers for decades that have had zero success apart from a cinderalla run 12 years ago.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Given the state of the West, I still wouldn't be completely shocked if it was this year. The bottom playoff teams are duelling each other right now to see who can drop the fastest.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
The problem guessing this is that the Oilers aren't a team sitting and waiting for their youth to take the reigns. Although they do have some good prospects coming, the key guys are on the team and are doing what they need to be doing for the most part (McDavid, Draisitl, Nurse...etc). The Oilers are a team that I don't think are going to be a playoff team without some sort of personnel change. Doesn't need to be an add, but they definitely need to make changes to make their roster competitive (more than bubble team competitive at least). They need any kind of production from a player not named Connor, Leon, or Ryan. So, I think the answer for me would be whenever their front office finds a trade to fix the roster.

Reactions: snipes

Ibanezrokr

Mar 22, 2018
Jack Hughes will surely turn that franchise around.
That's what they thought about RNH, yakupov, hall, etc... Nothing is going to change until they make some big changes. And chiapet needs to be the first to go.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Given the state of the West, I still wouldn't be completely shocked if it was this year. The bottom playoff teams are duelling each other right now to see who can drop the fastest.

Yup.. Edmonton is right in it still. The top 3 of the Pacific is set though barring a major collapse, but the Central has really fell off a cliff.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Probably mostly depends on when Chia is fired, and if they can hire someone competent in his place.

A good GM could probably get the team playoff bound in a couple years following getting hired.

A season to move out the awful contracts and hire an new player development staff, and then hope for a bit of luck to kick in.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad