When will the Oilers make the playoffs again?

Next Playoff Appearance

• Total voters

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
massive rebuild incoming so 4 or 5 years, especially if they decide to bring the old boys management group back to "save the franchise"

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Whenever they get a competent modern day NHL coach. They still havent had one while they have mcdavid.

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
They still have McDavid/Draisaitl down the middle, so they can sneak into a WC spot any year IMO.

Don't know what happen to Talbot. If they can get consistent goaltending like they were earlier from their other goalie they might still make it this year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
this season imo.
I think this McDavid kid will get pissed at some point and start to get things going. I can't imagine a team with a player as good as him missing out playoffs too often in this era of parity.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Whenever they get a competent modern day NHL coach. They still havent had one while they have mcdavid.

that's going to get tougher and tougher, with 7 coaches in 12 years, you suddenly have what looks like a coach killing franchise. Plus the organization itself is a mess from the management suite to the player roster.

I doubt any coach with any experience would rush to accept a job unless it was a massive over pay loooong term contract.

The Oilers have not only managed to build a really bad team, but they've probably taken the rolo dex of good coaches that they could call and lit that on fire.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
that's going to get tougher and tougher, with 7 coaches in 12 years, you suddenly have what looks like a coach killing franchise. Plus the organization itself is a mess from the management suite to the player roster.

I doubt any coach with any experience would rush to accept a job unless it was a massive over pay loooong term contract.

The Oilers have not only managed to build a really bad team, but they've probably taken the rolo dex of good coaches that they could call and lit that on fire.
They have Mcdavid and have only had 2 coachs while he has been on the team plenty if good coachs will want to go there.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
this season imo.
I think this McDavid kid will get pissed at some point and start to get things going. I can't imagine a team with a player as good as him missing out playoffs too often in this era of parity.
That's the crazy part. They have two players on pace for 100+ points and they're on track to miss the playoffs. The west is terrible too, doesn't make any sense. The rest of the team must truly be abysmal, as in not even nhl caliber, for this to happen.

Reactions: 13 others

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
The way things are currently, I cant see this year, or next year, for obvious reasons.

Depends what direction Chia decides to take. If he goes with a quick retool, the Oil could possibly slip in the WC, all while setting themselves back more years in the process.

Ideally, the Oil need a complete rebuild. You keep, McDavid, Drai and Klefbom the rest you dump overboard for whatever you can get.

Then you get with the times and build with speed and skill.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
They have Mcdavid and have only had 2 coachs while he has been on the team plenty if good coachs will want to go there.

McDavid's not enough when any coach looks at that teams terrible blueline, terrible forward depth and both goaltenders heading for Free agency as well as precious little help coming from the farm.

The Oilers situation right now is just built for coach failure.

I would argue that the Oilers are at the bottom of the list for any coach with a decent resume.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
McDavid's not enough when any coach looks at that teams terrible blueline, terrible forward depth and both goaltenders heading for Free agency as well as precious little help coming from the farm.

The Oilers situation right now is just built for coach failure.

I would argue that the Oilers are at the bottom of the list for any coach with a decent resume.

As a senators fan I can guarantee you this is not the case. Its alot easier to build a team around a generational player that is 21 years old than it is to start from scratch. They just need to hire Sheldon Keefe he will fix this mess in a hurry. Hitchcock was one of the worst possible options to follow up the worst coach in the NHL. Mclellan is flat out brutal, destroys goalies everywhere he goes.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'd like to vote but honestly I really have no idea.

They could possibly make the playoffs this year if Kostco gets his game back (I don't hold out much hope for one hit wonder Talbot) or it could be another 2 or 3 years. The better question would be when will they be a contender? The answer to that is probably nothing earlier than 3 or 4 years down the road, assuming there is wholesale firings among Oiler management and Katz hires competent replacements and lets them do their jobs.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I picked 2024. I imagine they rebuild starting next year and take 5 years to blow it up and restock.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
depends how many more lotteries they win. If they get Hughes, they'll make it next year. They shouldn't be allowed to win another one but I expect them to win at least 1 more.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
They still have McDavid/Draisaitl down the middle, so they can sneak into a WC spot any year IMO.

Don't know what happen to Talbot. If they can get consistent goaltending like they were earlier from their other goalie they might still make it this year.

Pretty much this but I think it's slipping away.

The Oilers are a team that can't afford injuries on the back end and have some secondary guys who have just stunk this year, yes I'm looking at you Milan Lucic.

And before people go blaming Chia for this they might need to understand the reality of getting free agents to come live with their families in Edmonton.

They are simply last or no go zones geographically for the majority of free agents out there.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
You know its bad when McDavid is the face of your franchise and you still can't make the playoffs regularly.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
They miss this year, Chia gets canned and make it next.

I voted after McDavid just because, but don't really think that.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Next year, Chia getting canned and another lottery pick will help matters a lot. Also, the bad contracts are 1 year less and more moveable while the prospects are more ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00