When will the Oilers make the playoffs again?

Next Playoff Appearance

• Total voters

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If I were to take over from Bobby Nicks:
I would clean house all the way down to Hitch, but not him.
Then follow suit with the farm team.

Hire a GM, who can find scouts who draft, and a farm team who can develop past the 1st round.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Until they have more cap space (Lucic/Russell gone) and have better NHL ready prospects, it's not anytime soon.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
post McDavid Era? seriously? this team can make it this year. still 41 games left. lets see if their recent trades will help, but they are not written off, like cmon. Sekeres is also coming back, I am not saying they are sure in for playoffs no, but 2019 playoffs for the Oilers is not out of the question.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Edmonton has a current weakness on the wings and quality depth on defence. Jones is already starting to emerge though and Bouchard and Bear should be quality pieces moving forward. Moving forward Klef, Larsson, Nurse, Jones, Bouchard and Bear should be a quality d core. The team has strength down the middle. If we retain our first and draft a good winger and 2 of Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Benson work out as middle 6 wingers we are actually in good shape.

I’ll say next season and a true contender in 3 years unless Chia completely shit the bed attempting to make the playoffs with a brutal attempt at an impact trade before the deadline.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
pretty embarrassing a team with mcdavid is gonna be 1/4

karma for the oils fans that were sitting on their high horse after one playoff appearance in a dozen years

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm thinking 2 years after Chia is fired so likely 2021, if Chia stays much longer I could see it morphing from a 2 year turnover to a 3 year turnover to being a good team again.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
They're 4 points behind anaheim with a game in hand, over half the season left to play, and the best player in the league on their roster.

How do only 9.5% of people believe they make the playoffs this year? I voted 2019

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This year. Chiarelli is a desperate, stupid, ignoramus of a man that will do whatever he feels he needs to do to make the playoffs and keep his job.

That and we’re an above average team when healthy. Losing Klefbom really, reaaaaalllyyy hurt us.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
They're 4 points behind anaheim with a game in hand, over half the season left to play, and the best player in the league on their roster.

How do only 9.5% of people believe they make the playoffs this year? I voted 2019
Because the team sucks? This isn’t the NBA.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

Aaaaand that's pretty much it.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
pretty embarrassing a team with mcdavid is gonna be 1/4

karma for the oils fans that were sitting on their high horse after one playoff appearance in a dozen years
Yup.. So easy to blame a team that got overexcited after no playoffs for a decade lol
Let's see how Leaf fans act when they get to the 2nd round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad