When will the Habs streak of awful play end?

ukhab

Dec 19, 2015
Norwich, UK
First post so cut me some slack

Am kind of new to Ice Hockey, from the UK but decided to support the Habs due to a great holiday in MTL and decided to follow this incredible support before the season started this year. I play floorball, so I kind of get some of the tactical play and all that, much prefer hockey, but harder to play over here in the UK.

Personally, I feel like the injuries, plus a couple of losses have meant that the players are giving up on Therrien, Pacioretty especially - seems disinterested and not overly worried about a result. That said, players like Carr and Galchenyuk have impressed me personally

Also, I worry about quality - I think we need a solid top quality player, but I am not overly familiar with the trades and stuff - how likely is it that we can trade for/acquire a top quality, goal scoring, jersey selling player?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

Am kind of new to Ice Hockey, from the UK but decided to support the Habs due to a great holiday in MTL and decided to follow this incredible support before the season started this year. I play floorball, so I kind of get some of the tactical play and all that, much prefer hockey, but harder to play over here in the UK.

Personally, I feel like the injuries, plus a couple of losses have meant that the players are giving up on Therrien, Pacioretty especially - seems disinterested and not overly worried about a result. That said, players like Carr and Galchenyuk have impressed me personally

Also, I worry about quality - I think we need a solid top quality player, but I am not overly familiar with the trades and stuff - how likely is it that we can trade for/acquire a top quality, goal scoring, jersey selling player?

Welcome to the board. Have some fun and dive into some of the debate about our "excellent" coach as some proclaim. As a sorta outsider you can see the value Galchenyuk has but our Coach can't. Ironic isn't it.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Welcome on board man! :cheers:

And yes, you seem to have a good intuition for hockey. Galchenyuk is indeed one of our best players. He's even a top player in the league for points per 60 minutes.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
When Price comes back, we'll be playing the same way in front of him but winning.

Then our "streak of awful play" will end.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
?

2012-13 - Finish first in North East div, 4th in League
2013-14 - Finish 9th in the League (100 points)
2014-15 - Finish second in the League
2015 - Now - Top 3 in the League since the season started (+ Historic start to the season)

I look past things like this. Records mean nothing in the playoffs. What has, historically, determined Cup champions is good all around play in the regular season. Perennially, the Habs have had a dreadful offense which means that cannot score in the playoffs. In fact, it is horrendous. Last playoffs they had a GF of 1.72. This is with the six goal game against the Bolts taken out of the equation.

As for the streak it will only end when Price comes back. His absence has affirmed what many on this thread believed; he is the team.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
I remember when I was in my 20's being on the habsfan board and I was wearing the rose coloured. We had an awful team but there was a lot of guys on the team that cared. No one floated much(ok berezin but that was a short time) Now that I am a older and have watched a lot more hockey I don't pretend and be optimistic.

There are a lot of passengers on this team. Very few people look motivated. That starts with the coach and works its way through the Captain and A's down to the vets. Young guys still have some fire in their belly, but it gets extinguished as they play for more than 20 games. Something is wrong.

Say what you will about Saku and our 2000 team but they had loads more heart with 1/5 the talent. Petrov makes 90 percent of the guys look like crap who have been playing the last dozen games. Sad statement.

I have followed the Habs since I was seven, that was 25 years ago. Through that time I have witnessed a couple of highs and far too many lows, one of which is when Brodeur scored a goal against the Habs in the playoffs. Who can forget the Roy fiasco?

Through these twenty-five years, especially in the last twenty, the number one glaring hole in the organization has always been offense. Even during the Petrov/Koivu era they were a middling defensive team but their offense was always in the bottom-third of the league. It still is. The transition year was 1996. In that year the last number-one center we had was traded, Pierre Turgeon. Since then the only player to come close was Koivu. A case can also bee made for Plekanec but he is a bottom-teir number one, excellent number-two. It is sad to see an organization like this, even with Timmins at the helm of scouting, produce nothing on offense for a prolonged period of time. It is baffling.

As well, you mentioned the heart factor. Too many players lack that on the Habs. They could care less. I would when you have a coach such as MT playing DD, Byron, etc more than Galchenyuk. Who needs to score, right? It is also disconcerting when your GM has done nothing for five season. Getting plugs does not count. You add poor player development and suspect drafting at times and you have a team that cannot compete with the best. No wonder there is no heart on the team when this is the case.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
When Carbo got fired, I believe.

Damn we were that bad?

Losing streaks
Overall 12 February 13, 1926 - March 13, 1926
Home 7 December 16, 1939 - January 18, 1940, October 28, 2000 - November 25, 2000
Away 10 January 16, 1926 - March 13, 1926

Who would have thought that we'd be going for the most consecutive wins to start the season and most consecutive losses all in the same season? This is insane.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
When Carbo got fired, I believe.

Just checked. Most consecutive losses for Carbo was four although he did go through a stretch of 2-7-1 in february. We had Laraque and Marc Denis back then and a player name Ryan Flinn. Only difference is that Flinn played in the AHL while we have Flynn on our first line. Explains a lot. :sarcasm:

Honestly if we lose tonight I really really don't understand how this coach still has a job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Montreal_Canadiens_season

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
When was the last time the habs went on a 10 game losing streak?

In 2000-2001 the Habs went on a nasty losing streak like this one.

Yet, with 9 straight wins, this team also had the best start in 105+ years of history. They were flying in many of those early games. :amazed:

Crazy season. :laugh:

This much is clear by now...

Carry Price is the leader of this group... with Gally providing essential grit and inspiration on the forward position.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Why is there no 'tank' thread yet? :)

This is HF, man!

(I guess that realistically, HFers know that management has to first go all in for our cup window (yeah right) before burning it all to the ground and trading everyone for picks & prospects.)

Habser

May 20, 2015
Regina
The team will continue to play with a handy cap until MT is out. Even with a win tonight it does not fix the issue .

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Why is there no 'tank' thread yet? :)

This is HF, man!

(I guess that realistically, HFers know that management has to first go all in for our cup window (yeah right) before burning it all to the ground and trading everyone for picks & prospects.)

Flexibility Dude
The sign of a true Championship Franchise.
"Able to leap tall buildings" :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad