When Was the Last a Time a Backup Goalie Won the Cup

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
... or significantly contributed to winning the cup?

I’m talking true backups, not the Fleury/Murray situation where the team clearly has a 1A/1B situation and has a “backup” that would be a starter on other NHL clubs.

I can’t really think of it happening anytime recently.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Scott Darling for the Hawks , Bryzgalov for the Ducks come to mind playing well for a round .

Both later became starters which didn't work out for their new teams.

Well a backup during the season that became a starter in the playoffs is probably Ward .

Also wasn't Huet the starter when the 2010 playoffs started and Niemi took over during the playoffs ?

Last edited:
Reactions: adsfan

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Didnt Murray only play 13 games in the season for his first Cup? Was he really a 1B?

Yeah good call I guess. I never saw him come up into the league, he seemed like one of those "come out of nowhere straight to starting goalie" types, but makes sense he was pretty much a backup at the time.

In my head I was thinking of a journeyman backup.

Reactions: nnynetpotato

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
... or significantly contributed to winning the cup?

I’m talking true backups, not the Fleury/Murray situation where the team clearly has a 1A/1B situation and has a “backup” that would be a starter on other NHL clubs.

I can’t really think of it happening anytime recently.
Ken Dryden did it.He won a Conn Smythe and then won the rookie of the yr in the next season.Has never been done before or again.

Reactions: nnynetpotato

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Osgood imo

I only just kinda recalled this as well, even though Ozzie and Hasek were kinda 1A/1B that season, but Hasek was the one expected to lead the way in the playoffs but was just too inconsistent while Osgood had been excellent that entire season.

As for Murray - it's true that he was starting because Fleury was hurt (and Murray himself actually missed a game as well due to injury, thus Playoff Game Winning Goaltender Jeff Zatkoff is a real thing), but he was performing well enough down the stretch in the regular season and then in the playoffs as well that there wasn't much controversy over whether he should remain in net. It was a big source of curiosity when Fleury was given the one start he was given, and when it didn't go too well for him, Sullivan turned back to Murray and, well, it didn't end too well for my avatar but it did end well for Murray's team.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Yeah good call I guess. I never saw him come up into the league, he seemed like one of those "come out of nowhere straight to starting goalie" types, but makes sense he was pretty much a backup at the time.

In my head I was thinking of a journeyman backup.

Murray didn't really come out of nowhere. It's true that he wasn't a highly-regarded prospect when he was drafted, but the season before he won the Cup he posted record-breaking stats in the AHL and won several end-of-season awards. The Penguins knew what they had, even if he wasn't getting much buzz elsewhere in the league.

Reactions: Trade

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'll say Matt Murray, but only in 2016. This was a little different of a situation. Fleury was injured and Murray stepped in and played in the playoffs for them. Fleury came back, had a bad game and then they went back with Murray. It turned out the kid could play net alright.

In 2017 it was a split between them as they played close to the same regular season games but this time it was Murray injured and Fleury filling in. Murray took over for the last two rounds. So by then I don't think Murray was a back-up, but in 2016 he was.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
I only just kinda recalled this as well, even though Ozzie and Hasek were kinda 1A/1B that season, but Hasek was the one expected to lead the way in the playoffs but was just too inconsistent while Osgood had been excellent that entire season.

In fact every year the Wings won the Cup with Osgood on the roster he played more games in the regular season than any other goalie they had, including in '97 when Vernon won the Conn Smythe.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
I’m disappointed in you history of hockey. Nobody has mentioned lester Patrick yet. The rangers coach in 1928 had to fill in as goalie in game 2 of the Stanley cup finals. Saved 18 of 19 shots and won the game in overtime. Oh, Patrick was 45 at the time.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

In fact every year the Wings won the Cup with Osgood on the roster he played more games in the regular season than any other goalie they had, including in '97 when Vernon won the Conn Smythe.

IIRC, while Osgood was much better that season, his playing more games than Hasek (they actually both started exactly 40 games) had more to with Hasek missing some time with injuries and Osgood being unusually healthy. Otherwise the split probably would've been somewhere in the realm of 45-50 games for Hasek and 30-35 for Osgood.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Scott Darling for the Hawks , Bryzgalov for the Ducks come to mind playing well for a round .

Both later became starters which didn't work out for their new teams.

Bryzgalov didn't work out for Phoenix? He made the playoffs with the team both in 2010 and 2011 and in 2010 he was runner-up for the Vezina and 5th in Hart voting. I would say he had pretty successful stint in the desert. Yes, he didn't set the playoffs on fire with Phoenix but I don't know how much of that was his fault because I didn't watch the team.

Reactions: The Pale King

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad