Speculation: When is the end of the Hawks' Cup window?

Blackhawks Cup window nearing the end......When?

• 2020-21 or later

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • 2019-20

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • 2018-19

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • This season is their last shot......They better make the most of it!

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • It is already shut. 2015 was the last Cup for this group of core players

Votes: 21 50.0%

• Total voters

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Doesn't matter that he was wrong about Crawford's other X amount of starts, he FINALLY got one right!

Tell me what I have been wrong on since this is the "finally" moment and you have kept track or the horde of times I have been wrong, please include at least 5 examples, I will be waiting :)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Tell me what I have been wrong on since this is the "finally" moment and you have kept track or the horde of times I have been wrong, please include at least 5 examples, I will be waiting :)

Well, just off the top of my head, every single time you've said Corey Crawford isn't a great goaltender.

That should be good for roughly 1000 examples of you being provably wrong.

Happy to help.

Last edited:

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I believe if the young guys turn out to be difference makers (like they have for the Penguins) This group will have a few more shots at a cup in another year or two.

Schmaltz, Hartman, Murphy, Forsling, etc.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I believe if the young guys turn out to be difference makers (like they have for the Penguins) This group will have a few more shots at a cup in another year or two.

Schmaltz, Hartman, Murphy, Forsling, etc.

true enough... if these guys can play like their young counterparts at Pitt --- but I doubt that they can. They are not --- as a group --- the same level as those in Pitt that have stepped up. Further, if you are 2 years out for the proposed Cup run, you will need a goalie. Now Crow is great... but he is getting old --- any sustained run starting two years after this one will as well need probably 2 new goalies --- one very good starter and one very good backup. We may (or may not) have those people in the system. Pitt had a magic goalie appear out of nowhere... we will need something of that as well. Again... doubtful, but possible.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
true enough... if these guys can play like their young counterparts at Pitt --- but I doubt that they can. They are not --- as a group --- the same level as those in Pitt that have stepped up. Further, if you are 2 years out for the proposed Cup run, you will need a goalie. Now Crow is great... but he is getting old --- any sustained run starting two years after this one will as well need probably 2 new goalies --- one very good starter and one very good backup. We may (or may not) have those people in the system. Pitt had a magic goalie appear out of nowhere... we will need something of that as well. Again... doubtful, but possible.
i really don't agree with the idea of an absence of a viable goalie. chi has always seems to find these franchise kind of goalies.

if they do have this of goalie now in the system, i really don't know, but finding a backup would be easy.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

You do realize that the best goalie year ever was done by a guy in his late 30's, right?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So Joh Dietz reports Keith told him he wolkd lije to play till age 45 ..Remember that Keith will be 39 when his 13 year deal ends 5 seasons after this current season ....that woukd be after tge 2022-23 season...To extend him even 1 year year stating 2023/24 seems unthinkable now let alone expecting yearly extentions till age 45...I doubt in his final current deal season in 2022/23 that he will be playing in the top 4 anymore ...perhaps not even in tge 3rd pairing. ..Probably a 6th D-man playing sparingly. I JUST DO NOT SEE a CHELIOS situation of top 2 or 3 competency by 2022/233...
Sorry but I do not see his wish getting full filed. .When the 13th year of his deal is over ...ge shoukd ve over and ...out!

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Keith is a cyborg and will probably be in great shape still at that age but his style of game will take a big hit as he ages. So much of his game is predicated on speed, quick bursts, etc. It's hard for those things not to fade with age and I don't know how he adapts when that happens. Not saying he can't, it's just an unknown. Even though we've seen it with a handful of guys (Chelios, Lidstrom, Jagr off the top of my head), the reality is being an effective NHL player into your 40's is extremely rare.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Keith is a cyborg and will probably be in great shape still at that age but his style of game will take a big hit as he ages. So much of his game is predicated on speed, quick bursts, etc. It's hard for those things not to fade with age and I don't know how he adapts when that happens. Not saying he can't, it's just an unknown. Even though we've seen it with a handful of guys (Chelios, Lidstrom, Jagr off the top of my head), the reality is being an effective NHL player into your 40's is extremely rare.
i don't know about keith and 40's. it is evident that he is starting to show his downward spiral. in the coming yrs he will not be a 1-2 type of d-man ..... i just don't know.

Reactions: Blue Liner

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Players always say they feel great right up until the day they retire.

At the end of last season, Seabrook said he still feels like he has a lot of hockey left in him, a lot more to give.

Spoiler: He doesn't.

Keith will get to a point where he can't go anymore, and it's already approaching. I say he's probably done as a top 4 guy by 36-37, tops. And even that is a testament to his freakish physical ability.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad