When Is It Time To Move The Sedins?

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
Unfortunately we're stuck with them.

Yeah, poor us. I'm confident that 29 teams would love to have our misfortunes.

The problem with trading the twins is that it is pretty much impossible for any team to come up with good value. You're talking at least two firsts plus two blue chip prospects, at least.

I will be very happy to see them play out their careers here, as they decline and younger players take the first line they will still be quality PP guys till they are in their early 40's. Its not like they are going to be all that affected by losing a step.

Wizeman*

I think after next year they will have to consider 3mil contract for 3 years or try elsewhere . They wont be 80 point players anymore.

They should remain in Vancouver so I keep them as second liners until they want to retire or go back to Sweden.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Not sure we can move them, even if your scenario plays out what contender has an extra $12.2M kicking around at the trade deadline?

Most likely scenario is they walk when their contracts are up, OR sign a moderate contract extension for around $4M each.

Twins are signed through next season, so are UFA in 2014.

To me, term is more important than their cap hit on any new deal. Born in 1980, so in 2014, they turn 34 before the end of the year.

I would not ink them to 5 year contracts.

Thinking 3 years is good especially since a lot of the team is locked up for the next 3-4 years and there isn't much coming through the system.

Better to have all of your players be UFA near the same time so when you do a fire sale, you can load up.

To me, it comes down to how well they perform next season. IMO, I think we've seen the last of the 95 plus point seasons. I think they go back down to being 80 point guys.

But, I do agree, very hard to trade both to a team since they would carry $6 million cap hits. Finding $12 million in cap space, pro rated at the deadline is pretty tough.

HankieDankie

Feb 24, 2012
Vancouver
They'll be great second line players until they retire. Their chemistry and passing is what makes them successful. Those aren't things that are going to decline. They will be 65pt players until they retire, whenever that may be.

If we can get first line players once they start to slow down, this team will remain cup contenders. We're set in net and on D. The Sedins are going to be an automatic 2nd line in a few years, just how they are a automatic 1st line now. Just need the 1st line talent, which ideally we should be hoping to draft this summer/next year.

I don't want to see the Sedins wear another jersey.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
I fully expect them to retire here. It's going to be a Lidstrom situation, not Forsberg or Sundin or even Linden.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't think there will be a time to move them at all. You see what you have in them after their contracts run out. If they're production has dropped, you sign them to cheaper deals.

Would have to be a massive deal to trade them and they want to stay. I'd guess they remain in Vancouver until it's time to go back to Modo. The task will be developing talent around them to remain competitive. If we really nose dive next year, then you let them walk.

It's just not feasible to make a trade where 12+ million dollars is going one way...

Yeah it is because we retain 50%. Both Sedins combined $6.3m, would be one heck of a return.

Just imagine Chicago with both Sedins and Hossa as their winger. Not a bad 2nd line.

Nov 1, 2011
It'll never be time unless they want to move on.

Re-sign these guys when they hit UFA status and let them retire as Canucks.

rajvandam

Unregistered User
Mar 5, 2007
Vancouver
I was going to suggest trading them mid-way through next season for some young players... but i don't know, they won't be superstars anymore in the next few seasons but they'll always be good players... if they play until they're 40 years old, that means about 8 good years at least... but they probably have 2 or 3 more superstar years in them which would leave them with about 5 good years... in those last 5 years i'd like to see them take a pay cut to reflect that decline and it would be upto the canucks to find suitable replacements for the first line.

But 8 more effective years still in them man, you can't just trade that away.

Trade kesler in the next few years for something is what i say... first nurse him back to health and as soon as he bounces back trade him for something that will help us in the future. And with that, if you trade one of the goalies for something... we should be fine.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Don't think the Sedins will play for another NHL franchise ever. After their current deal is up I expect they'll sign another shorter term deal, maybe 3 years. After that if they are still capable of playing and wish to they probably sign one year deals until retirement.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
I hope the Sedins retire as Canucks.

With a little luck we have some guys ready to step up & take over top line duties as the Sedins are ready to step back & be 2nd line players.

Ya never know, in 3 years we might be raving about Jensen Gaunce/Kesler Kassian as the top line.

Twice in the last 13 years I've thought we lacked bonafide top line players going into the season. The 1st time the West Coast express stepped up & became a 1st line. The 2nd time the Sedins were finally given the chance to be top line players & stepped up.

I think the whole "window" thing & needing a firesale to rebuild is exaggerated. It only happens if you aren't having young players developing & ready to step up to take on bigger responsibilities when given the opportunity.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Can't be moved. They're a package deal and have an NTC. They either retire as Canucks or walk away as free agents.

Anyways, they have plans to return to Sweden and play before they exit their prime. I doubt it happens, but it could.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Don't want them moved. Great guys, great players. And honestly, I see them aging better than most other players.

Younger guys that rely on their speed, well that goes as you get older. If you're a crash and bang guy, you're usually looking at injuries. But as terrific passing players with great hockey sense who rarely get injured, they could easily remain solid contributors for a good many years.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Sedins play a game that is based on smarts and not speed or power. I think they should be able to contribute well into their late 30s playing that game. I would be looking at moving Kesler, Burrows, and most of the other core players before I looked to replace the Sedins.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Any young talent we draft or trade for would benefit from their positive influence. As long as the price as right I hope they retire as Canucks.

Beziro

Jun 20, 2012
A few months ago, Henrik Sedin was on Team1040 and said he and Daniel understand that they will not get $6 million a year and they are willing to take a pay cut and go on 1-year deals after this contact is up. I could see a year-to-year plan in which the Sedin's sign for $3 million dollars and if Canucks are out of playoff contention at any time, they will agree to be traded for a chance at the cup (if the Canucks don't win the cup in the next few years). They aren't guys who chase after big money, they always want what's best for the team.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
A few months ago, Henrik Sedin was on Team1040 and said he and Daniel understand that they will not get $6 million a year and they are willing to take a pay cut and go on 1-year deals after this contact is up.

That's class.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Doubt we ever trade them, and I don't see them walking for Free Agency unless we low blow them with a new contract offer which I highly doubt. They're going to retire as Canucks, and nothing else.

LolClarkson*

If the Canucks are not serious Cup contenders by the deadline next season, I think, at the very least, we should start fielding offers...

We did a rebuild on the fly when WCE top line was broken up. If we kept Hodgson and Grabner and with Jensen coming, we could have what resembles a replacement. By some miracle, Kassian may become a top line player I guess..

But I see no reason to trade them. They will just sign again for cheaper cap hits and then retire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad