When Is It Time To Move The Sedins?

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Before anyone inevitably freaks out and starts bashing me, I'm not a hater (quite the opposite)...
I love what these two guys have done (and are still doing) for this team, organization and city, but having seen how the Iginla mess played out, I would hate to see us do the same thing here in Vancouver.

Their slow descent as arguably the best players in the NHL has begun, as has the teams...

When do we consider moving them to assure we receive the greatest return?

Barring a big change in this teams fortunes, and a huge turn around by the Sedins, I think we should consider moving them either next season (if someone blows us away with an offer), or more realistically two seasons from now at the latest.

The assets we receive in return will go a long way towards helping to make our rebuild a lot shorter than it otherwise will be.

While I'm all about loyalty, I think it would be really bad business to allow them to retire as Canucks simply out of loyalty for their great service. I think the way to repay them would be to trade them (when the time comes) to a team that has a legit shot at helping them get their names on the Cup.

The temptation is always to wait until it's too late.

If the Canucks are not serious Cup contenders by the deadline next season, I think, at the very least, we should start fielding offers...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Not sure we can move them, even if your scenario plays out what contender has an extra $12.2M kicking around at the trade deadline?

Most likely scenario is they walk when their contracts are up, OR sign a moderate contract extension for around $4M each.

Anzes Eyes

5th line centre
Jun 2, 2011
Let's see what they want on their next contract. If they want to retire and play second line roles at the home discount I think that is ideal. Their value to the franchise is more than a return for their declining abilities.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Let's see what they want on their next contract. If they want to retire and play second line roles at the home discount I think that is ideal. Their value to the franchise is more than a return for their declining abilities.

this, best case scenario they sign a contract with the ability to be secondary players. Will be too hard to move them both @ 6 mill each, and at a discount they are worth more to us then their return imo.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
idk but we really need to evaluate this asap. if they look like they're no longer viable 1st line options in the near future i would look to move them if we can't get them to resign for <4mil each

Dado

It already is, in some sense. IF the goal was to facilitate a rapid rebuild, the time to do it would have been immediately after the '11 playoff run. They would have each brought back more than Toronto gave up for Kessel.

But they're already less valuable now than they were then, and late enough in their contracts that, should they be willing to re-sign for second-line dollars, we may well be better off keeping them than we are trading them. I believe we can start talking extension after the end of this season, right?

God only knows where our first line scoring is going to come from, though...

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I don't think there will be a time to move them at all. You see what you have in them after their contracts run out. If they're production has dropped, you sign them to cheaper deals.

Would have to be a massive deal to trade them and they want to stay. I'd guess they remain in Vancouver until it's time to go back to Modo. The task will be developing talent around them to remain competitive. If we really nose dive next year, then you let them walk.

It's just not feasible to make a trade where 12+ million dollars is going one way...

Alflives*

Before anyone inevitably freaks out and starts bashing me, I'm not a hater (quite the opposite)...
I love what these two guys have done (and are still doing) for this team, organization and city, but having seen how the Iginla mess played out, I would hate to see us do the same thing here in Vancouver.

Their slow descent as arguably the best players in the NHL has begun, as has the teams...

When do we consider moving them to assure we receive the greatest return?

Barring a big change in this teams fortunes, and a huge turn around by the Sedins, I think we should consider moving them either next season (if someone blows us away with an offer), or more realistically two seasons from now at the latest.

The assets we receive in return will go a long way towards helping to make our rebuild a lot shorter than it otherwise will be.

While I'm all about loyalty, I think it would be really bad business to allow them to retire as Canucks simply out of loyalty for their great service. I think the way to repay them would be to trade them (when the time comes) to a team that has a legit shot at helping them get their names on the Cup.

If the Canucks are not serious Cup contenders by the deadline next season, I think, at the very least, we should start fielding offers...

Even the best of players need to be moved out for better - younger - players for a team to stay at or near the top. The Sedins would be a summer trade, around the draft.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Hopefully never. I'm hoping they accept a slightly reduced salary after this contract as they drop down to second liners, then continue there until they retire. They're the best players the franchise has ever had, and they deserve to blow every franchise record out of the water. For example...I'd love one of them (likely Henrik) to be the first player in franchise history to break 1000 pts.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
idk but we really need to evaluate this asap. if they look like they're no longer viable 1st line options in the near future i would look to move them if we can't get them to resign for <4mil each

Not sure if serious.

We'll keep the Sedins for as long as they're willing to stay here.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
It's not time.
I agree, it's not time, as we are still (somewhat) in a position to get hot and compete for the Cup (esp if we can get our PP going again).

So at this point I wouldn't move them. But, as I said in the original post, 1-2 seasons from now, I think Gillis and Co would be making a HUGE mistake to not be listening if someone came to them with an offer...

And yes, the salary cap is a large problem for any team looking to bring them in...but, a team like the Pen's just brought in 11.1 mill with Iggy/Morrow.
Picking up 12.2 from the Sedin's, with another salary being shed b/c of a player coming back to Vancouver...it's not possible for everyone, but while difficult, I think a team on the brink of challenging for the Cup could make it happen.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Just looking at capgeek, it looks like virtually every NHL team, could take on the Sedin's salary at next years deadline, esp with salary shed by trading a player(s) back to the Canucks.

I'm a rookie on capgeek, so maybe I'm reading it incorrectly.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Not sure we can move them, even if your scenario plays out what contender has an extra $12.2M kicking around at the trade deadline?

Most likely scenario is they walk when their contracts are up, OR sign a moderate contract extension for around $4M each.

Or the most probable scenario. They resign for exactly the same salary they have now and retire as Canucks. They aren't being traded ever.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Just looking at capgeek, it looks like virtually every NHL team, could take on the Sedin's salary at next years deadline, esp with salary shed by trading a player(s) back to the Canucks.

Capgeek only accounts for current team contracts. Odds are pretty good a majority of teams will have spent most of their cap by this time next year.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

not all teams can spend to the cap, also you have to account for the new cap and raises from other players. I don't think many teams that are in a state of "win now" could take on both Sedins

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
In theory, I understand that if Gretzky can be traded, anybody can.

However, Vancouver being so undesireable in terms of travel, taxation and rain relative to some markets, I think that you have to treat your best players with a certain amount of deference to encourage UFAs to sign here.

I feel that signing UFAs carries with it an implicit promise to keep them around. Sure, the GM should move them with a clear conscience if the players themselves want to be moved, or if it is just not working out. (But what about Marco Sturm you ask? Well, I think that is a case of the favour being the extension of his career by signing him in Vancouver.)

So, while I have no way of knowing what the future would hold, I would think that the Sedins will remain in Vancouver on year by year contracts until the time comes to return to Sweden for a couple of years. And they will be back to see their Vancouver sweaters raised to the ceiling.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Sedins are very together people. They won't leave the Canucks without forewarning.

I think, if they'd won a cup, they'd be gone after this season, back to Sweden. MODO plays 55 games a season. Without rings, I think they play out the contract and retire. Canucks don't seem to be in Cup mode any more. They won't rebuild around two thirty four year olds. On the bright side, if they get their rings next season and retire to Sweden it'd be all good, especially if Luongo retires, too.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Whenever they want to. They've earned that respect from the organization. Just like Iginla.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Sedins are very together people. They won't leave the Canucks without forewarning.

I think, if they'd won a cup, they'd be gone after this season, back to Sweden. MODO plays 55 games a season. Without rings, I think they play out the contract and retire. Canucks don't seem to be in Cup mode any more. They won't rebuild around two thirty four year olds. On the bright side, if they get their rings next season and retire to Sweden it'd be all good, especially if Luongo retires, too.

More or less agree with this. Henrik and Daniel will either re-sign for cheaper contracts as secondary veteran players to aid this team in the pursuit of a Cup, rather than as core players to build the team round, or they'll retire and go back to Sweden. Either way, it's Canucks or bust for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad