When Is It Time To Move The Sedins?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
If the Canucks are not serious Cup contenders by the deadline next season, I think, at the very least, we should start fielding offers...

Pretty sure no contending team will have 12 mil of cap space sitting around to acquire the twins. Not to mention that if you are dealing them to contenders, you will not be dealing them for roster players so the salary coming back will be significantly less than that.

I hope Sedins will stay until 37, 38 and retire as Canucks. Playing as 2nd line and then providing some mentorship to the kids coming up the system offers us way more value than dealing them away (which is not possible anyway)

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
Never. They'll always be worth more than what they would garner in a trade.

Plus, guys whose numbers will get retired should be able to play their last game in their team's colours in front of their fans.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Plus, guys whose numbers will get retired should be able to play their last game in their team's colours in front of their fans.

940-iginla-jarome.jpg

I'm not saying ship them out now; but lets not make the same mistake Calgary did if we really start to tank in a few years.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
940-iginla-jarome.jpg

I'm not saying ship them out now; but lets not make the same mistake Calgary did if we really start to tank in a few years.

If we come to the position of tanking, then I'll consider it. But a lot of teams never had to resort to tanking by making smart signings and drafting well.

The twins are more likely to be effective later in their 30s over Iggy (I love Iggy btw), solely based on the reduced physicality of their play. Kesler is the one I'd consider moving when he comes to being a rental if we need to tank or retool (and that's not based on my dislike for Kes).

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
940-iginla-jarome.jpg

Problem is that the Flames waited a few seasons before beginning the rebuild. We're nowhere near that stage yet nor do I expect that we'll need to. This is always a team that will consistently make the playoffs. They may not end up as cup contenders, but no team will begin rebuilding if they already have a playoff team in their hands.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
It's always a mistake to allow your assets to dwindle in value because of simple loyalty. That's not a successful business model.

Show loyalty to them by moving them (when the time is right) to a team that allows them ample opportunity to get their name on the Cup, with their blessings.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
It's always a mistake to allow your assets to dwindle in value because of simple loyalty. That's not a successful business model.

Show loyalty to them by moving them (when the time is right) to a team that allows them ample opportunity to get their name on the Cup, with their blessings.

As a package I doubt the Sedins are worth as much in a trade as two other players of a similar value. The fact is very few teams would have the cap space or spare assets to trade for 2 star players.

There are very few instances in nhl history when 2 star players are traded for youth/futures from the same team at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad