Speculation: When is a rebuild not a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I think Hayes and Hamilton could presumably win a spot. I don't think the answer is coddling them. They still have to prove they are the better option.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's not like DW's gonna be the one actively blocking them either. They're obstacles but they're hardly vital. It's gonna be up to Todd ultimately.

Yes but players aren't given an equal opportunity for these types of things and the players like Scott and Kennedy and Burish that may still be on the team come camp are obviously going to be given every opportunity to make the team whereas someone like Hamilton or Tierney where they don't risk losing the person being sent down is someone they will look for reasons to send down. It's tough for a developing player to win a spot in that environment.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I can't speak of the state of the defense that year, mainly because I don't remember but Vlasic caught many unawares. I don't believe there was a spot for him to fill, he took it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I can't speak of the state of the defense that year, mainly because I don't remember but Vlasic caught many unawares. I don't believe there was a spot for him to fill, he took it.

There were plenty spots for him to fill that year. That defense was very, very young in most spots. Hannan and McLaren were the only vets and the rest of the four were open for Vlasic, Carle, Ehrhoff, Murray, Davison, and Gorges.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

the sharks training camp roster.

mathieu biron
matt carle
rob davison
james delory
christian ehrhoff
jim fahey
scott ferguson
josh gorges
scott hannan
derek joslin
randy king
matthew mccue
kyle mclaren
doug murray
graham poteur
dan spang
garret stafford
brad staubitz
patrick traverse
vlasic
ty wishart

of those defensemen, players bolded were players coming back from the previous season. 8 players were coming back to start the season, until fahey got traded which opened up a spot on defense for vlasic.

of those 7 returning players only 3 of them had more then 82 games under there belt. those 3 players were scott hannan, kyle mclaren, and rob davison. most of the 4 other returning players had at most 40 games under there nhl careers.

at forward it is near impossible as it is right now to crack the line up for any one. since every one of the 14 players signed other then hertl and nieto (but i think it would take a mirracle for any of the rookies to beat those 2 out) are basically nhl vets with well over 200 games played.

sure at defense there is 1 spot open, but that doesn't sound to much like a youth movement to me.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Creaming Eriksson was about more about Lucic than Eriksson - but I think you know that. I don't care for the Scott signing, but the message is clear that if you mess with our kids we will mess with your skill players.

Yeah, and he really showed Lucic. I'm sure Lucic will never make a dirty play again.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Yeah, and he really showed Lucic. I'm sure Lucic will never make a dirty play again.

In the Scott trade thread on the main board, there was commentary from a Sabers fans indicating Lucic toned down the physicality after Scott got after him, so yes - apparently he did.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
In the Scott trade thread on the main board, there was commentary from a Sabres fans indicating Lucic toned down the physicality after Scott got after him, so yes - apparently he did.

So your point of reference regarding a Sabres player's effectiveness is from a Sabres' fan? There might be an issue with that kind of evidence.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If you obsererved something different I am all ears.

That stuff is all relative. I'm just saying that going by the word of a Sabres fan that a Sabres player was able to do some rough stuff that allegedly toned down the physical element from the opposing player is kind of dubious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad