Speculation: When is a rebuild not a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
1 player = thuggin' it up..... :shakehead

Anyways the Sharks are going younger where they can and are trying to change the culture of the team.

Take that for what you want, bottom line is they are getting younger, spending less, and content with staying a playoff team while doing so.

Younger? The entire team from last year is a year older.

They dropped 32 year old havlat, 37 year old boyle, 34 year old stuart.

Added a 33 year old scott.

The team if they stop signing stupid people to contracts, might go down .5 of an year on the average age.

Going younger means, not signing brown, scott, hannan. And giving those spots (even if they are not good enough) to rookies like mueller.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
1 player = thuggin' it up..... :shakehead

Anyways the Sharks are going younger where they can and are trying to change the culture of the team.

Take that for what you want, bottom line is they are getting younger, spending less, and content with staying a playoff team while doing so.

They haven't gotten all that much younger in reality and only Boyle leaving has changed anything regarding the culture. They're content with mediocrity because they couldn't convince the big boys to leave.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
Younger? The entire team from last year is a year older.

They dropped 32 year old havlat, 37 year old boyle, 34 year old stuart.

Added a 33 year old scott.

The team if they stop signing stupid people to contracts, might go down .5 of an year on the average age.

Going younger means, not signing brown, scott, hannan. And giving those spots (even if they are not good enough) to rookies like mueller.

He's going younger in other spots. Hannan serves a purpose. He believes Brown and Scott serve an important purpose.Those young guys who survive camp are the youth movement.

This isn't a matter of being absolutist.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
To me the John Scott signing sends a pretty clear message of: If you message of it you mess with Hertl we will hurt you.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
To me the John Scott signing sends a pretty clear message of: If you message of it you mess with Hertl we will hurt you.

I guarantee you John Scott will not fight a single player that cheapshots Hertl, or any of our players this season (unless somehow the opposing teams goon somehow manages to take out Hertl).

Goons fight goons, end of story. You guys are living in the past. Other goons are scared to fight John Scott ffs, no hockey player is going to agree to it. When was the last time a goon when out and ate an instigator penalty in order to police a cheap hit? Seriously, maybe 1 a year, league wide? Do you think Dustin Brown is concerned about John Scott? lol. He's probably chomping at the bit to get on the ice with him so he can up his goal totals.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
So what are they doing?

Absolutely nothing.

Still a lot of days left to pass, but right now it seems like the plan is to get a little *weaker and just see what happens. :dunno:

* I'll start using the word "younger" when roster spots are actually made available.

I guarantee you John Scott will not fight a single player that cheapshots Hertl, or any of our players this season (unless somehow the opposing teams goon somehow manages to take out Hertl).

Goons fight goons, end of story. You guys are living in the past. Other goons are scared to fight John Scott ffs, no hockey player is going to agree to it. When was the last time a goon when out and ate an instigator penalty in order to police a cheap hit? Seriously, maybe 1 a year, league wide? Do you think Dustin Brown is concerned about John Scott? lol. He's probably chomping at the bit to get on the ice with him so he can up his goal totals.

Goons fight goons, but that doesn't stop a goon from rag dolling Dustin Brown after whistles. I don't expect a cheap shot artist to drop his gloves.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011

That is not why Scott is hated. He doesn't have to drop the gloves to do damage. Last season he took out Ericksson for an extended period of time. Scott will cheapshot right back he is expendable that way.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Apparently Detroit is also committed to mediocrity. Babcock probably plays "glory days" in his office on a daily basis.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Apparently Detroit is also committed to mediocrity. Babcock probably plays "glory days" in his office on a daily basis.

If you talk to their fans, there's quite a few that believe they are committed to mediocrity in so many words. Look at what they've done since Lidstrom left. Holland can't get the job done to replace him to the point that Detroit is a legitimate contender anymore.

Just because they haven't outright said it doesn't mean that their actions don't show that. They aren't rebuilding and they haven't gotten better. Their version of a rebuild is inevitably not good enough to be a contender in the playoffs and not bad enough to make any headway on a legitimate rebuild.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He's going younger in other spots. Hannan serves a purpose. He believes Brown and Scott serve an important purpose.Those young guys who survive camp are the youth movement.

This isn't a matter of being absolutist.

There are no spots for young players to be given. We have 14 NHL forwards signed. We have 6 NHL defensemen signed. There is one spot open on the D, and none up front. That's it. If I'm someone like Freddie Hamilton, who has paid my dues on a bad AHL team, I'd look at the Sharks summer and be pretty ******* mad that I won't even be given a chance to fight for a spot in September because there are no spots to fight for.

I highly, highly, highly doubt that there is a taker out there for Kennedy or Burish.

Scott doesn't intimidate anyone. We need to get the idea that he does out of our collective brain. Nobody cares about John Scott. He's literally irrelevant. No one will fight him, and he isn't a good enough skater to catch anyone.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Scott doesn't intimidate anyone. We need to get the idea that he does out of our collective brain. Nobody cares about John Scott. He's literally irrelevant. No one will fight him, and he isn't a good enough skater to catch anyone.

LOL... he wasn't irrelevant to Ericksson.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Lol... what would send a bigger message to the Kings. Injuring Brown or Carter? Or what about Gabo or Toffoli?

Send a bigger message? Get better as a team and beat the living crap out of them on the score board.

Hurting players does not send a message to the other team. The kings will still laugh there way to a 3rd cup in 4 years while the sharks sit at home all proud they hurt someone on the kings.

Every one needs to stop listening to wilson. He is brainwashing every one with his dinosaur style of hockey.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Yeah, that dirty, dirty, Loui Eriksson really had it coming. Scott really taught Eriksson a lesson about dirty play.

Creaming Eriksson was about more about Lucic than Eriksson - but I think you know that. I don't care for the Scott signing, but the message is clear that if you mess with our kids we will mess with your skill players.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I'm waiting for DW to pick up Kaleta and sign Ulf Samuelsson as assistant coach.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Creaming Eriksson was about more about Lucic than Eriksson - but I think you know that. I don't care for the Scott signing, but the message is clear that if you mess with our kids we will mess with your skill players.

If that happens it will be a new thing because as is that simply does not happen in the modern NHL. The Sharks would likely be looking at regular suspensions and team penalties if they decided to go that route.

I HIGHLY doubt Wilson is planning on that. Maybe he's stupid enough to think Scott somehow deters injuries to his team, I could at least buy that argument, but beyond that, no way.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
There are no spots for young players to be given. We have 14 NHL forwards signed. We have 6 NHL defensemen signed. There is one spot open on the D, and none up front. That's it. If I'm someone like Freddie Hamilton, who has paid my dues on a bad AHL team, I'd look at the Sharks summer and be pretty ******* mad that I won't even be given a chance to fight for a spot in September because there are no spots to fight for.

I highly, highly, highly doubt that there is a taker out there for Kennedy or Burish.

I find it tough to jump on that "we bandwagon" when July isn't over yet, the roster isn't finalized and camp hasn't even started yet. Things may still shake out and you certainly don't know what they may be. As for Freddie Hamilton and Eriah Hayes, too ****ing bad. If they had given the org a reason to bring/keep them up they would be there.

Highly doubt it all you like, the season hasn't started and things aren't finalized yet. Maybe they aren't moved. Maybe the Sharks have to 'suffer' with both of them on the roster. Oh well, fans will have to deal with it or find a new team. Just like Freddie Hamilton.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I find it tough to jump on that "we bandwagon" when July isn't over yet, the roster isn't finalized and camp hasn't even started yet. Things may still shake out and you certainly don't know what they may be. As for Freddie Hamilton and Eriah Hayes, too ****ing bad. If they had given the org a reason to bring/keep them up they would be there.

Highly doubt it all you like, the season hasn't started and things aren't finalized yet. Maybe they aren't moved. Maybe the Sharks have to 'suffer' with both of them on the roster. Oh well, fans will have to deal with it or find a new team. Just like Freddie Hamilton.

Really giving those young players an opportunity, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad