Speculation: When is a rebuild not a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoast

Oct 25, 2006
I think most of us would agree this if anything would be a retool not a rebuild, DW has been acting a fool in the media. Way to stacked to constitute an actual rebuild.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
DW is lighting a fire under some *****...

a motivated Thornton/Marleau >>> anything we get in trade

(still needs to add a damn good d-man though)

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
When it's the 26th of June, and nothing of value can happen yet?

I think most of us would agree this if anything would be a retool not a rebuild, DW has been acting a fool in the media. Way to stacked to constitute an actual rebuild.

I'm not sure he's really been that foolish, unless you choose to get hung up on verbiage as so many in the media do. Folks want to paint DW with all sorts of brushes, from emotional to (over) reactionary to inept to crazy. There's a plan, some kind of blueprint he's going off of.

Iron Chef

Sep 24, 2011
I think that the use of the word rebuild was strategic and calculated by DW. I don't think it had anything to do to scare Jumbo and Patty into waiving their NMCs. I believe the purpose was:

1) Making sure that vets would be ok with handing the reigns of leadership to the young core.

2) If they weren't happy with that, putting the ball in Jumbo and Patty's court about a trade because the reputation of the franchise with the fan base and players around the league would be severely damaged if he essentially "forced" a trade.

3) To light a fire and weed out anyone who is not on board with his plan going forward

4) To simmer down expectations of the fans so that we're no longer in the "Our season is a failure if we don't advance to the finals" mentality. I'm actually guilty of that as I find myself not as engaged in the regular season as I used to.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I think that the use of the word rebuild was strategic and calculated by DW. I don't think it had anything to do to scare Jumbo and Patty into waiving their NMCs. I believe the purpose was:

1) Making sure that vets would be ok with handing the reigns of leadership to the young core.

2) If they weren't happy with that, putting the ball in Jumbo and Patty's court about a trade because the reputation of the franchise with the fan base and players around the league would be severely damaged if he essentially "forced" a trade.

3) To light a fire and weed out anyone who is not on board with his plan going forward

4) To simmer down expectations of the fans so that we're no longer in the "Our season is a failure if we don't advance to the finals" mentality. I'm actually guilty of that as I find myself not as engaged in the regular season as I used to.

Excellent post! I wish I could articulate this as well as you just did.

Honestly, I do not really expect Jumbo or Patty to waive. I will be a bit surprised if one or both are not on the opening day roster. I do think DW was also letting teams know that he is a seller and wants potential vs proven.

If any of our modified NTC players have a window, and DW receives an offer he can't refuse, those guys are gone. (Might need to be a sky high offer for some, but DW will pull the trigger even on guys he has said were the new core). For the full NMC guys, I expect he would honestly inform them of the opportunity to go play at X team, but would not technically ask them to waive (leaving the leaving up to the player, as is their right as written in the contract).

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
It's pretty hard to call it a "rebuild" if Marleau/Thornton both stay. That seems to be out of DW's control at this point based off what Joe and Patty have said.

Only fitting that DW is the one that tied his own hands with the NTC's.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
DW better have learned his lesson about handing out NMCs/NTCs like candy. Not sure what he could have done though. Marleau and Thornton would have never signed if there wasn't an NMC involved.

Iron Chef

Sep 24, 2011
DW better have learned his lesson about handing out NMCs/NTCs like candy. Not sure what he could have done though. Marleau and Thornton would have never signed if there wasn't an NMC involved.

Agreed. Just look at the Kings. Not a single person on the team has an NMC.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA

Really? I find that a little hard to believe based on how much they like playing and living in SJ. More than likely it was DW way of negotiating the length of the contract down to only 3 years.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Really? I find that a little hard to believe based on how much they like playing and living in SJ. More than likely it was DW way of negotiating the length of the contract down to only 3 years.

He failed then considering thornton in his 15 year career has never signed anything more then 3 years. Its a good term for him and its a good term for the teams also.

What he gave the nmc for was less money.

allworldcaucasn*

If the same core is back next season, it is a failure if we don't go to the finals.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
He failed then considering thornton in his 15 year career has never signed anything more then 3 years. Its a good term for him and its a good term for the teams also.

What he gave the nmc for was less money.

Did not realize that. Seems like all these other stars are signing these 7-8 years deals, so I assumed that Marleau and Thornton figure this may be their last chance to really cash in and would have wanted a 4 or 5 year deal.

sjsharklover

Jun 22, 2008
san jose
I know the draft is not til tomorrow and things could change but aside from the talk of Doug Wilson I foresee this off season to be like all the rest. A couple little moves. Maybe a minor signing during the free agent period and a tweak or two at the deadline. I really believe this course of action will result in the same outcome..
The kings however at the deadline the two years they won the cup picked up key players that helped put them over the top.. Jeff carter and this year gaborik. ..
I'm not saying the sharks have NEVER done a big deal at the deadline or landed atop free agent but Wilson's tendency (and he talks about this) is to not overpay or get caught up in all the free agent frenzy...
Unfortunately that way has not produced results..
Does anyone think if we could have landed Gaborik instead of the Kings that maybe just maybe we would have the edge?
Does anyone think that if we landed Jeff Carter that maybe we have the edge in 2012?

The second one maybe not but the first scenario if it would have not made us better it sure would have made the Kings worse..

But our Gm doesn't think that way..

The Kings took a chance and really didn't give up all that much...they took a chance , the players saw that ownership was doing what it took and the team stepped up at the right time.( it doesn't hurt you Quick in net).

So,if it plays out like most years lets celebrate our Mike Brown signing and let's talk about how you address the issues in the clubhouse and let's celebrate another 100 pt season ,only to lose and talk about the same things next year....

I can't wait to get my hopes up again....

Try something different this year Mr Wilson

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
This is a good question, and I think we can safely say moves 1 & 2 are happening (but it ain't done until it's done).

1) The Sharks don't resign Boyle or Hannan...and we (hopefully) replace them with at the very least younger players. That's just normal Free Agency and what we all expect them to do (not a rebuild or even a retool).

2) Use a compliance buyout on Havlat...replace him with a cheaper & better player...that definitely isn't a rebuild, and is at best a slight retool depending on cost & talent of replacement (Ditto for Stuart & Burish).

Since we're certain (as we can be) that those 3 players aren't coming back, and will obviously be replaced...then just those 3 people being replaced is neither a rebuild or retool. A "rebuild" means you blow up & trade away just about the entire team for propects & picks, not just trading #19 or #12, or even both of them. They're gone, and then #8, #39, and #44 are all on the block, and at least one of those 3are moved. No players on the team over 30 except for that one or two "leadership vet", then that's finally a rebuild to me. A retool would be trading a major player(s) for another major player or prospect (and not just one move, that's simply a trade). A retool would require multiple trades. New faces do not equal a retool, or every single team retools every year.

If you get rid of #9, #22, and #27...plus trade either #12 or #19 (not both), that's Free Agency & a trade...which all that I realistically expect to happen. Then they got younger, faster, and hopefully better...and DW can also claim "I did what I said I would do, we made changes", and I'd call that a minor retool at best.

Now if they find a way to do all of the above in the "minor retool", and then buy out/trade Stuart, Kennedy, Burish, and get rid of least of 2 of those 3 players, then I'd call that a real retool.

A true rebuild is just being used as a threat and a buzzword...it will never happen.

Last edited:

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
It's when other teams in our conference retool there teams to perfection and we like to watch as they make some impressive trades and signings. Gaborik for 5 mil per and Kesler we better start cooking.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Wasn't sure where to post this but I read Hartnell's quote just now about how his trade to Blue Jackets went down even though he has a NMC and read Mitchell's quote about leaving the Kings, and it made me wonder...

It's no stretch to assume DW wants Joe and Patty out yet hasn't explicitly asked them to waive their NMCs. However, if you're one of them, and hearing all DW's said about not signing UFAs to go for the Cup, turning the team over to the youngsters, etc. etc. , why would you stay on a team that doesn't want you? Sure, I get that some players care about other things than winning but if a team doesn't want you, why would you stay?

Both Hartnell and Mitchell accepted it. Granted Mitchell's a pending UFA and had no choice but both players said similar things. "If you don't want me, I don't want to be here."

I also recognize that Joe and Patty may be thinking "we signed sweetheart deals to stay so if you want me out, buy me out." If that's the case, this just seems like it'll head to a nasty divorce.

Hartnell said he was shocked to learn last week that his time was up in Philadelphia and the Flyers were intent on trading him, even though he has a no-move clause in his contract.

“It was a pretty stern talk, and they basically said I was done there, that they were going in a new direction,” Hartnell said. “This is only a game we’re playing, I know, but it kind of turns your world upside down a little bit to hear you’re not wanted anymore.

Mitchell:
"I get the business side of it too. It's probably better to go in a new direction to where they're excited to have you. I told him, it's not about what I want. It's about you guys wanting me. And if you don't want me, I don't want to be here."

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
AND WE GET AN ANSWER LOL

it's not :sarcasm:

On Thursday, Wilson wanted to clarify his message and declared that he still has high expectations for next season.

"I never lowered the expectations of making the playoffs, because we're still a very good team," Wilson said.

His use of the term rebuild, Wilson added, applied to San Jose's hierarchy and culture -- not the more conventional usage that indicates a team focused on the future at the expense of the present.

"I can understand when people say there are different types of rebuild," he said. "We're not going to finish last to try and draft people first or second. This is not something this franchise can do, because we already have some good players in key positions. You're not going to see us with 50 points next year -- we're too good a team for that."

"I expect this team to do well, but it doesn't really matter what I think. It's what they think, and they know what they need to fix in that room," Wilson said. "And I give them credit, they're doing it. They are talking to each other, they are taking ownership in some things."

"I said, yes, we'll take a step backward and we'll take a big step forward when everybody steps to the forefront," he said. "That will take place in September."

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_26125178/sharks-re-sign-scott-hannan

DW to Sharks fanbase: PSYCH HAHAHA JUST KIDDING! Man I really fooled you guys... :biglaugh:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He's playing god damn mind games with the rest of the hockey world. In a way, I love it. However, being a fan of this team, he's making it real frustrating.

Also, two weeks was not long enough to let the emotions to die down and to make a concrete decision.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Foot firmly in mouth, we will have such a youthful roster after we will all of our openings with old goons?

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
He said the right things for damage control and now once everyone has calmed down and ready to renew their season tickets, he switches things around. Smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad