Post-Game Talk: When in Doubt, Shootout: Sabres 3 Leafs 4

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Exactly. Hopefully when Bolland comes back Carlyle puts them on the same line.

Bolland Holland Clarkson
D'Amigo McClement Kulemin

Maybe that will help out Clarkson a bit more.

The biggest difference that I've seen from last year is the amount of shots that he was getting per game. He's averaging just under 2 shots per game and when he's scoring goals he was averaging over 3.5. I think he's looking to cycle to much and thinking about too much. If he shoots more, 1 is bound to go in.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Now that's a playoff calibre bottom 6

Deepest team since Quinn.

JVR Bozak Kessel
Lupul Kadri Raymond
Bolland Holland Clarkson

Hopefully the winger rumours are true (big bodied top six) so we can replace Raymond.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Why are people putting Bolland on the wing? Did he play wing for Chicago?

I think it's better to put Holland on the wing over Bolland. It gives him a chance to be more productive.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I think his style of play fits Clarkson better than the other guys have. Neither are the fastest guys, but they're both quality along the boards. Adding Kulemin means we have a line that can grind it out with most teams in a secondary role.

I'm not even worrying about the pick. I'm quite excited to see Holland grow as a young player.

Bolland Can also play wings so I'm not too worried. HOwever yea Holland really is doing with the cycle game that Clarkson and Kulie are good at. Better than Mclemment in the offensive zone for sure.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Deepest team since Quinn.

JVR Bozak Kessel
Lupul Kadri Raymond
Bolland Holland Clarkson

Hopefully the winger rumours are true (big bodied top six) so we can replace Raymond.

Bolland back to C
Switch Holland and Kulemin.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
BeE2_XhCIAAwn5o.png:large

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Why are people putting Bolland on the wing? Did he play wing for Chicago?

I think it's better to put Holland on the wing over Bolland. It gives him a chance to be more productive.
He played a fair bit of wing with the Chicago Blackhawks and he is pretty weak on the draw.

I don't mind where he plays though, Peter Holland looked pretty damn good centering the 3rd line today.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This team has shown a lot of heart over the last few games; lots of games in a small time period with the flu going around and in the midst of the worst slump thus far in the season... they came through.

Hopefully we can put the bad play behind us and play more like we really can.

Polo*

Taking my dad to the game tonight was interesting. I was surrounded by a few idiot leaf fans being incredibly negative. Saying things like "I wish we had scrivens back, Reimer is useless" and one guy yelled "come on Lupul learn how to skate you little punk" and every little thing they criticized. It was incredibly annoying. I did laugh though when they announced Paul Ranger wasnt playing and like 10 people around me clapped

Kadri seems to be really fighting the puck, making some very poor decisions and not really moving his feet.

Clarkson looked very lazy and small out there. I really dont like his game at all. Average third liner if that imo

Was fun to be at a game in OT and even though I dont like shootouts, it was fun to see in person too. And the $5 double rum and cokes at the lonestar made me feel real good about not having to buy much beer at the ACC.

$10.25 for a tall boy of MGD at the ACC. I laughed

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Shootout again? Cripes!

Well at least they are good at it now.

Time for a winning streak. We need to catch Montreal. It'll be tough since they have two games in hand on us, but there is plenty of time left.

A decent sized winning streak would really help us out.

Oh, and as for Ryan Miller - I hope that is the last the Leafs see of him in a Sabres uniform. You always dominated us Miller. Go dominate someone else now please, preferably out West.

Your Pal, Spazmatic Dan.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Every single goal against JR, was weird seeing eye, through the smallest of spaces. Luckily he didn't have to face a lot of shots.

Franson has to shoots pucks in hard.

Kadri was more invisible, than Lupul

Good to get scoring from 3 lines.

Miller's success: no rebounds. Thankfully we did not give him his 50th SO win.

Nolan's teams play hard. They do have our number.

3 games is our longest win streak of the year? now 2x

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada
Every single goal against JR, was weird seeing eye, through the smallest of spaces. Luckily he didn't have to face a lot of shots.

4 games is our longest win streak of the year back in October

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
How is Tampa Bay so good? They lost Stamkos. What upgrades did they make from last year to have them tied for 1st in the conference? It might be a team that could realistically bomb and we could catch.

They upgraded in most important position - goal. They now have goalie that, you know, can stop the puck and from what I saw even steal some games here and there. :(

Penalty Kill Icing*

OT but this is Ducks goalie in tonight's game during a 7 minute 5 on 3 :laugh:

BeFN1M8CYAA25QD.jpg

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Could turn out to be nothing...or may not even be true but I read somewhere on Twitter that Edmonton scouts were at the Leafs game tonight. With their goaltending moves, I wonder if the interest is in Reimer or if there is anyone else that they may be interested in.

And Miller complimented Kessel on his goal tonight and said it was good...get him going for the Olympics :laugh: This season is a total write off for Miller...might as well look forward to the Olympics and scout his teammates in the process.

Also, I really hope he moves West once his contract is up. If Moulson ain't coming here, he can go back West as well. Oh and if a West team can somehow pry Bergeron out of Boston, that would be great.

thunderhawk905*

At the game tonight, a couple keys things I noticed were our puck protection and transition.

Less dump and chase sequences, more passing back to the D while allowing for a line change. They may have started to realize it's easier playing with the puck then fighting against it.

Yes, it's the Sabres but we managed 39 shots and many quality chances. Things are looking up.

mikebel111*

He was doing good in the Boston game.

Thats now like 7 of 8 games where kadri was good on faceoffs.
But people focus on bad game on draws when it comes to kadri. Plus he wasnt terrible tonight on draws.

mikebel111*

Kadri was so invisible on that rielly goal. Terrible pass by kadri. Also terrible play to draw a penalty

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Bolland back to C
Switch Holland and Kulemin.
That'd be a waste. It's either Holland on the top six or the marlies. I feel that he's earned playing time on the depth scoring or shut down line.

Also, I'd keep him as a centre. His face off ability is going to improve while Bolland is pretty mediocre in that area. Whether he plays as a centre or winger isn't going to hinder his defensive abilities. It'd be very similar to the Jamie Benn ( centre turned winger) and Seguin arrangement.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Thats now like 7 of 8 games where kadri was good on faceoffs.
But people focus on bad game on draws when it comes to kadri. Plus he wasnt terrible tonight on draws.

He was not good at all on draws tonight:

He was 2-10 (20%) in the Offensive Zone and 7-17 (41%) overall. Not great. He was best in the Neutral Zone, but until he starts winning in the Offensive Zone, puck possession will continue to be an issue for that line. Last night vs Boston he was slightly better at 5-11 (45%), but again only 1-3 in the offensive zone. The game against Jersey, he was quite good on the draw at 9-11 (82%). But Washington he was back down at 7-15 (47%) and only 3-8 (38%) in the offensive zone. So there's 4 games. This is most definitely an area he needs much much work, especially on the offensive zone draws. Puck Possession in the Offensive zone starts with winning face offs, he must improve in this area going forward. IF you go back to the Winter Classic (8 Games as you said) he is 15 for 41 (36.6%) on draws in the offensive zone; I certainly don't believe that to be good enough for someone many proclaim as our best Centre. He needs to work on it severely, or be moved to the wing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad