Post-Game Talk: When in Doubt, Shootout: Sabres 3 Leafs 4

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I was really impressed with the Clarkson -- Holland -- Kulemin line yesterday.

Love how they cycled in the offensive zone and created scoring changes and increased Leafs time of possession in this game.

Hopefully the trio can build off of this as they bring quite a bit to the table when they contribute in this way.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
The Leafs record leading after two is inflated by NINE shootout wins now. This means that the Leafs are essentially 8 wins, 1 loss, and 11 ties when they start the third period with a lead.

Which is actually an awful record. And does reflect their inability to hold a lead. And that doesn't count games in which they took the lead in the third period and then gave it up, which is hinted at by our 3rd period goal differential (38 GF, 57 GA).
:cry::cry::cry:

We won. We're on a three game winning streak.

Quit your whining and crying and enjoy for once. Why do you people always have to find the negatives in everything?

There are no ties in hockey. Shootouts exist in hockey. Nothing has been inflated, we have earned points the same way as everyone else. :shakehead

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

Quit your whining and crying and enjoy for once. Why do you people always have to find the negatives in everything?

There are no ties in hockey. Shootouts exist in hockey. Nothing has been inflated, we have earned points the same way as everyone else. :shakehead

Right. Lets all pretend that collapsing in the third and then winning in a shootout is the same as winning because we held the lead.

If you look at the league standings sorted by regulation and OT wins, you actually get a pretty accurate ranking of NHL teams. It puts the Leafs tied for 7th last with the Jets.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

It doesn't bode well for the playoffs, though. We need to find a way to finish these games out in regulation.

The Hutch

May 1, 2010
New Westminster, BC
Right. Lets all pretend that collapsing in the third and then winning in a shootout is the same as winning because we held the lead.

If you look at the league standings sorted by regulation and OT wins, you actually get a pretty accurate ranking of NHL teams. It puts the Leafs tied for 7th last with the Jets.

I'll take almost losing over actually losing any day. Doesn't mean anyone wants it to stay that way.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Would you prefer that they just lose in regulation and get it out of the way?

I think we all know what the deficiencies and concerns are with this team. But we're all still fans and enjoy watching our team win. Sometimes it's nice to just soak up a win than have people sound like broken records bringing up the negatives all the time. You aren't saying anything new are you? No one is providing new insight...it's just recycled material (while valid) we're all aware of already. We can't control how the players choose to perform on any given night and I think his point is that you don't need to be a broken record all the time when people are simply trying to enjoy a win when they can get it. It doesn't mean that you know or see more about this team than others do. Believe it or not, there are people who choose to enjoy the good parts as they come rather than constantly complain about what a crap team they are even in the wake of the wins. Nobody thinks we're Cup contenders here.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Would you prefer that they just lose in regulation and get it out of the way?

No, I would prefer that they stop giving up third period leads so consistently.

I think we all know what the deficiencies and concerns are with this team. But we're all still fans and enjoy watching our team win. Sometimes it's nice to just soak up a win than have people sound like broken records bringing up the negatives all the time. You aren't saying anything new are you? No one is providing new insight...it's just recycled material (while valid) we're all aware of already. We can't control how the players choose to perform on any given night and I think his point is that you don't need to be a broken record all the time when people are simply trying to enjoy a win when they can get it. It doesn't mean that you know or see more about this team than others do. Believe it or not, there are people who choose to enjoy the good parts as they come rather than constantly complain about what a crap team they are even in the wake of the wins. Nobody thinks we're Cup contenders here.

Nothing about struggling to beat the worst team in the league should make Leafs fans feel good. Sorry. There are fans, and then there are fans who want to see good things wherever they look. I imagine those fans wearing drool bibs.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Leafs will need to grab one of the top 3 spots in the div or be in big trouble winning any tie breakers.

Took a quick look (so may be wrong..) but since the lockout, only twice has a team not made the playoffs due to losing a tie breaker. I think this is being blown way out of proportion, it's not nearly as much of a problem as people think it is.

Obviously for seed number it's been involved a lot more but the Leafs are more concerned about making the dance not where they will sit.

The Hutch

May 1, 2010
New Westminster, BC
I must admit, until last night I was completely unaware of how many penalties Kadri draws. If the Leafs can combine that with an effective powerplay and responsible defense (Franson!), they could be doing much better consistently.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Have you guys talked about the Moulson goal, yet?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-really-beat-james-reimer-033455892--nhl.html

When you watch the very last angle on the MSG feed (at around :56) it doesn't look like it went in.

Interesting that they didn't take a look at it.

In or not, they called it a goal on the ice, so if they go upstairs, they don't have much to say it wasn't a goal I think. Inconclusive evidence.

It sucks because we've had a lot of bad calls go against us lately but at least we prevailed. Had we lost, I think it would have been a bigger deal.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
No, I would prefer that they stop giving up third period leads so consistently.

Nothing about struggling to beat the worst team in the league should make Leafs fans feel good. Sorry. There are fans, and then there are fans who want to see good things wherever they look. I imagine those fans wearing drool bibs.

I can't speak for every fan but I'd rather not be a fan that turns bitter, miserable and may likely suffer a stroke later in life because I took being a hockey fan too seriously. I imagine that it's possible that those people you think are wearing drool bibs are probably just happier in life, not necessarily naive. Assumptions and insults are fun, huh? Unless I missed something, you immediately made the assumption that the guy that everything was great just because he called you for your complaints rather than just enjoying the win for a bit. There are often some good things to take away with, it's the hope of a fan that their team can find some consistency in bringing those good things and fixing the bad things. It doesn't mean that showing some good things against a Sabres team means the team is on the straight and narrow now. It means that there is hope...that is a lot of what being a fan is about. If it makes you feel you are a superior fan because you complain and nag about every problem (that is common knowledge) and look down on those that would rather have some optimism and hope rather than be bitter...well whatever works for you I guess.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I can't speak for every fan but I'd rather not be a fan that turns bitter, miserable and may likely suffer a stroke later in life because I took being a hockey fan too seriously. I imagine that it's possible that those people you think are wearing drool bibs are probably just happier in life

Followed immediately by:

Assumptions and insults are fun, huh?

Let me repeat that for you so it sinks in, shall I?

I can't speak for every fan but I'd rather not be a fan that turns bitter, miserable and may likely suffer a stroke later in life because I took being a hockey fan too seriously. I imagine that it's possible that those people you think are wearing drool bibs are probably just happier in life

One more time in case it's still not clear:

:laugh:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Followed immediately by:

Let me repeat that for you so it sinks in, shall I?

One more time in case it's still not clear:

:laugh:

Wow...that went completely over your head :laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh:

That was completely intentional. You read it three times and still didn't figure it out? :laugh:

You likened some fans to children with your reference to drool bibs...so I traded insulting assumptions and intentionally acknowledged it to show you why your comment was unnecessary (as it could easily be turned right back on you).

Thanks for the laugh. Sucks though that the my sarcastic, rhetorical question was completely wasted.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Okay but that's not how the regular standings work. You're complaining about something that doesn't need to be complained about

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Okay but that's not how the regular standings work. You're complaining about something that doesn't need to be complained about

I'm complaining about the reason so many of our game are going to the shootout: the fact that we don't hold onto our lead. That is absolutely something that needs to be complained about, and a lot of people are.

The regular standings reflect a record that suggests the Leafs are playing better than they really are. I just think it's interesting how accurate a ranking the standings give you if you sort them by ROW. Most disturbing is the trouble we have beating the few teams below us in those rankings even though we've managed convincing wins over Chicago, Anaheim, and Pittsburgh.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Wow...that went completely over your head :laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh:

That was completely intentional. You read it three times and still didn't figure it out? :laugh:

You likened some fans to children with your reference to drool bibs...so I traded insulting assumptions and intentionally acknowledged it to show you why your comment was unnecessary (as it could easily be turned right back on you).

Thanks for the laugh. Sucks though that the my sarcastic, rhetorical question was completely wasted.

And yet your entire point was still that I'm probably someone who lets hockey be a negative influence on my life. You say it's sarcasm and yet it wasn't. Sarcasm is when you mean the opposite of what you're saying. You mean exactly what you're saying.

Thanks for taking the time to teach my what being a fan is really all about, though. I appreciate it.

:facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad