When hockey fights were actual fights....

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't see how fighting has a place in today's game. The NHL has evolved to a much more skill oriented league.
Can't say I loved fighting back then either. The more recent fights are staged anyhow. With the amount of cash the players are paid today and the way free agency is their isn't real hatred for another team or player Worth brawling with

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I don't see how fighting has a place in today's game. The NHL has evolved to a much more skill oriented league.
Can't say I loved fighting back then either. The more recent fights are staged anyhow. With the amount of cash the players are paid today and the way free agency is their isn't real hatred for another team or player Worth brawling with
See my comments about why come to the fight forum and preach? Go get a Banana
daiquiri when the fights start and leave people who still like real hockey alone.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
If you hate fights so much why come to the fight forum, preach somewhere else with the "new NHL" garbage.
Why is it that the people who feel the NHL should be like the LNAH always respond to anything that doesn’t agree completely with their opinion by claiming the other poster “hates” Hockey and then follow it up with some misogynistic comments?

Kudos for saving the misogyny for your very next post!

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Why is it that the people who feel the NHL should be like the LNAH always respond to anything that doesn’t agree completely with their opinion by claiming the other poster “hates” Hockey and then follow it up with some misogynistic comments?

I am soooooooo sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities but you still didn't answer the question. If fights scare or offend you so much why post in the fights forum? Shouldn't you be in analytics or the SEL forums? Or are you a hockey missionary, sent to save the unwashed masses from a part of hockey they enjoy, a saviour sent from Bettman and Branch to help us understand the error of our ways with your superior understanding of hockey and life? If so I apologize for the misunderstanding and understanding your mission will respect your views on fighting. If not why still so obsessed with something that so offends you?

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I am soooooooo sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities but you still didn't answer the question. If fights scare or offend you so much why post in the fights forum? Shouldn't you be in analytics or the SEL forums? Or are you a hockey missionary, sent to save the unwashed masses from a part of hockey they enjoy, a saviour sent from Bettman and Branch to help us understand the error of our ways with your superior understanding of hockey and life? If so I apologize for the misunderstanding and understanding your mission will respect your views on fighting. If not why still so obsessed with something that so offends you?
Start off with the misogynistic comment, follow it up with false claims about me “hating” Hockey. Very predictable and very obvious you have nothing to add to this discussion.

Later.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Start off with the misogynistic comment, follow it up with false claims about me “hating” Hockey. Very predictable and very obvious you have nothing to add to this discussion.

Later.
Obviously there is a communication issue or something, I didn't state you hated hockey I stated you hated fighting and was trying to determine why you are so obsessed with a forum dedicated to fighting. Also no misogyny here, unless you are so sensitive you see a comment about delicate sensibilities as being misogynistic, which it isn't, it is a critique of your statements. Once again oh great social justice warrior I am sorry if I offended.

Still haven't gotten an answer about you being a hockey missionary or what your goal is in this particular forum. It would be like me going into a European league forum and complaining about lack of hitting and fighting, or a more accurate assessment, me going into a soccer forum and demanding that their be more scoring and hitting and a fight every so often and less diving. You know how you seem to want your hockey, which obviously you don't hate, you just want your vision of.

Anyway have a wonderful day and I have enjoyed our discussion Mr. Branch, maybe someday soon you will be able to enjoy hockey without all that nasty physical play other people enjoy and have your vision of a mid seventies Swedish league here in North America.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Yep, I made a mistake and posted “Hockey” instead of “fighting.”

Obviously you don’t know what misogyny is if you claim you use no misogyny.

I don’t think you know what “obsessed” means either since most intelligent people would not consider making a handful of posts in a forum and obsession. Using your definition of obsession you are clearly obsessed with me. Perhaps I should report you.

What answer should I give you? The question is based on a lie you’ve made up and clearly you are looking for a certain answer. Clearly you are one of those people who attacks and insults anyone without opinions that agree will oth 100% of your opinions.

I apologize as it’s clear something bad happened in your life and you can’t handle different opinions without getting angry. I will move along from this conversation so as not to exacerbate those emotional issues.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Yep, I made a mistake and posted “Hockey” instead of “fighting.”

Obviously you don’t know what misogyny is if you claim you use no misogyny.

I don’t think you know what “obsessed” means either since most intelligent people would not consider making a handful of posts in a forum and obsession. Using your definition of obsession you are clearly obsessed with me. Perhaps I should report you.

What answer should I give you? The question is based on a lie you’ve made up and clearly you are looking for a certain answer. Clearly you are one of those people who attacks and insults anyone without opinions that agree will oth 100% of your opinions.

I apologize as it’s clear something bad happened in your life and you can’t handle different opinions without getting angry. I will move along from this conversation so as not to exacerbate those emotional issues.

Yes the bad in my life is watching a once great game slowly become soccer on skates. Oh and please don't report me for having an opinion, you know what you are accusing me of if somebody doesn't agree with me 100%. Also confused as to what lie I made up, also I'm not insulting you I am being sarcastic but nice, you would know if I was insulting you, trust me. But I'm not a missionary out to convert you to enjoying real hockey, I have no problem with you liking figure skating instead of hockey, I just wish the Bettman's and Branch's didn't cater to fans who feel like you who don't like real hockey and feel the need to demand physical, exciting hockey be replaced with Spartak vs Forlunda

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Yes the bad in my life is watching a once great game slowly become soccer on skates. Oh and please don't report me for having an opinion, you know what you are accusing me of if somebody doesn't agree with me 100%. Also confused as to what lie I made up, also I'm not insulting you I am being sarcastic but nice, you would know if I was insulting you, trust me. But I'm not a missionary out to convert you to enjoying real hockey, I have no problem with you liking figure skating instead of hockey, I just wish the Bettman's and Branch's didn't cater to fans who feel like you who don't like real hockey and feel the need to demand physical, exciting hockey be replaced with Spartak vs Forlunda

Fighting is fine so long as it's for a purpose and the players that do it know the risks. I always hated the canned fighting because I found it boring. When two guys who got five minutes of icetime a game would get into a wrestling match, I'd usually try and make it to the concession stand or the bathroom. It isn't Bettman that should get the credit (or blame depending on your point of view) for that ending, it's teams realizing they had a better shot at winning if they replaced a pure goon with someone that could help score goals or at least stop the other team from scoring goals.

I make no conclusions as to whether the players who did fight a lot knew or should have known the risks. The word of caution I will give to those that are interested in it is that media, and especially sports media accounts of legal proceedings are almost always at the very least incomplete so as to be misleading, and other times downright false. So, for example, whatever you might feel about Mike Peluso's workers compensation case, you should take the time to really read about the entire case before coming to any conclusions. Don't rely on what some writer in The Athletic tells you without a healthy dose of skepticism.

Reactions: ChuckLefley

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Clark Gillies. One of the most underrated tough guys of all-time.

Yes he was, just ask Terry O'Reilly!

Danny Gare fought Clark Gillies and did well, I was surprised. Got in close and let Clark wear himself out a bit before scoring with upper cuts.

But guys like Gary Holt, Gary Howatt, Stan Jonathan, and Danny Gare who were all dangerous. None over 5'8". All strong, tough, and excellent fighters.

Don Cherry has said they were all dangerous because they had the low center of gravity and knew enough to get in close so their shorter arms became an advantage..

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

and kudos to you for being the typical "Im offended" type that actively seeks out things they dont like only to complain and preach to those that do like it.

here's a hint for you, if something offends you...AVOID IT

Reactions: Fenian24

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
and kudos to you for being the typical "Im offended" type that actively seeks out things they dont like only to complain and preach to those that do like it.

here's a hint for you, if something offends you...AVOID IT
Where did I say I was offended by fighting? Where did I say I don’t like fighting? Where did I preach? I did none of the above, thanks for providing a perfect example of what I was talking about.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
That's where the problem is. Back in the days Gretzky almost never had any head concussion, he was protected by guys like Semenko or McSorley, guys willing to hurt him knew that they had to face one of this guy. If Crosby had a Semenko to protect him, I guarantee you that he wouldn't suffered all this head injuries.

Nowadays guys can throw big hits to the head to skilled players without facing any repercussions. McSorley would still have his place in this new NHL, fighting like a maniac and still able to put some points and contribute.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
That's where the problem is. Back in the days Gretzky almost never had any head concussion, he was protected by guys like Semenko or McSorley, guys willing to hurt him knew that they had to face one of this guy. If Crosby had a Semenko to protect him, I guarantee you that he wouldn't suffered all this head injuries.

Nowadays guys can throw big hits to the head to skilled players without facing any repercussions. McSorley would still have his place in this new NHL, fighting like a maniac and still able to put some points and contribute.

You seem to be saying, it was OK for Gretzky not to be hit, and therefore not get concussions, but other players, including his own, would be involved physically, and they could suffer the concussion and injuries. As long as wasn't the stars then it's OK?

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
You seem to be saying, it was OK for Gretzky not to be hit, and therefore not get concussions, but other players, including his own, would be involved physically, and they could suffer the concussion and injuries. As long as wasn't the stars then it's OK?
Enforcers weren't only protecting the stars but the whole team, that's why goons were the most loved and respected guys in their team.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Enforcers weren't only protecting the stars but the whole team, that's why goons were the most loved and respected guys in their team.

Oh, I agree, but their recklessness and disregard for the for safety of players caused injuries. The initial discussion concluded that goons prevented injuries. I disagree.
I suggest that the increase in concussions is caused by the speed of the game and the size of the players. Even in the goon heavy 70s and 80s, the pace of plays was much slower resulting in fewer violent collusions. Also players tried to make passing plays instead of dumping the puck into the corner and then trying to retrieve the puck.
The technology of skates and equipment just makes it a different type of game than a few decades ago.

Reactions: Komarov47

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
No, it shows that the league gets the idea that being a major player in the pro sports world means not having a lot of fighting. The refs are doing what they are supposed to do. I love a good fight, I mail ordered brawl tapes when I was a kid, but the way to being a major player is to showcase the players skill and the skills that make the game so special, not by having guys fight.

The goal of the NHL is to ENTERTAIN.

Today's game has 'skill' it's also boring as hell. Apparently I'm not the only one who things so, outside of the major markets and a few successful expansion teams like the Sharks, a third of the teams are lucky to be half full most nights.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
The goal of the NHL is to ENTERTAIN.

Today's game has 'skill' it's also boring as hell. Apparently I'm not the only one who things so, outside of the major markets and a few successful expansion teams like the Sharks, a third of the teams are lucky to be half full most nights.
The goal of the NHL is to entertain using hockey skills, not boxing matches. The most entertaining hockey, universally, is in the playoffs when fights are rare.

I am sure I will get accused of things I’ve never said or even implied and then, when I respond to those false accusations the person will run away...since that’s how this forum works.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
The goal of the NHL is to entertain using hockey skills, not boxing matches. The most entertaining hockey, universally, is in the playoffs when fights are rare.

I am sure I will get accused of things I’ve never said or even implied and then, when I respond to those false accusations the person will run away...since that’s how this forum works.

I like goals and I like fights, today's NHL has neither.

Reactions: RegDunlop

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Today's NHL is basically a beta male game wheras prior to the lockout it was alpha only.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I like goals and I like fights, today's NHL has neither.
Highest scoring season in the last ten years, second highest in the last 20 years. Many would argue that the league has never seen as much skill as it has now.

Perhaps you should become a fan of the LNAH since it’s much more your style of game than the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad