When hockey fights were actual fights....

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Highest scoring season in the last ten years, second highest in the last 20 years. Many would argue that the league has never seen as much skill as it has now.

Perhaps you should become a fan of the LNAH since it’s much more your style of game than the NHL.

For the past 15 years I've pretty much only watched the world juniors.

I probably watched 45 minutes of nhl hockey in the last 5 years combined.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
For the past 15 years I've pretty much only watched the world juniors.

I probably watched 45 minutes of nhl hockey in the last 5 years combined.
Where there are no fights and it’s all about skill.

Nice job arguing against yourself, I guess I have no need to discuss this with you anymore.:laugh:

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Where there are no fights and it’s all about skill.

Nice job arguing against yourself, I guess I have no need to discuss this with you anymore.:laugh:

It's fast and entertaining though, I also dont care about watching teenagers scramble eachothers brains.

Pro is different, these guys are getting paid millions to be robotic mercenaries plugging themselves into whatever system which doesn't matter because every team plays exactly the same. The nhl's job is to provide entertainment, period.

I went to a Jets game their first season back, I also attended a few habs games when I was given free tickets since I moved to the MTL area. Regardless 90% of 'fans' today are braindead millennials staring at their phones until the lights in the building start blinking. Can't blame them, trap hockey with no physicality isn't exciting.

I'm not even gonna talk about the pair of panthers games I went to in the 2010 season. Saying there was 8000 fans in the stands would be generous. Went to a game in Pheonix in 07 or 08 and it was even worse.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I guess I will post one more time in response to you.

It speaks volumes about you that you sent me a PM talking trash.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I guess I will post one more time in response to you.

It speaks volumes about you that you sent me a PM talking trash.

It speaks volumes that you consider watching boring robots dump the puck in the corner 'skill'.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Only a man that late, but ok. In the mind of the longtime hockey fan, yes. In the mind of a league looking to expand its fan base, no.

You like hockey with no passion? Geez, you should have watched hockey in the 1970s-2004. The pansies hadn't taken over in the media yet by then. They were usually ignored. They still existed, there have always been the Michael Lansberg finger pointers around but they didn't have much of a platform. Now, TSN and Sportsnet is filled with them and they've helped take a lot of the passion out of hockey. I haven't given up on the fact that it can come back to what it used to be but we'd need a major overhaul and we'd have to stop over analyzing every little hit or reading the lips of players to do this.

Hockey was a blast when this didn't happen. That's your fan base.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
You like hockey with no passion? Geez, you should have watched hockey in the 1970s-2004. The pansies hadn't taken over in the media yet by then. They were usually ignored. They still existed, there have always been the Michael Lansberg finger pointers around but they didn't have much of a platform. Now, TSN and Sportsnet is filled with them and they've helped take a lot of the passion out of hockey. I haven't given up on the fact that it can come back to what it used to be but we'd need a major overhaul and we'd have to stop over analyzing every little hit or reading the lips of players to do this.

Hockey was a blast when this didn't happen. That's your fan base.
I love when people make things up.

Where did I say I like Hockey with no passion?

Pansies? Homophobic, are we?

You’re a fool if you think the NHL will go back to the Broad Street Bullies days.

You sure did a great job destroying any respect I had for you in one asinine post.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just shows how much the refs suck these days as they don't allow these guys to even go anymore. They jump in before the first punch most of the time now.

Is that the refs fault? They are just listening to what they have been told and taught by their superiors.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't see how fighting has a place in today's game. The NHL has evolved to a much more skill oriented league.

Not only has it evolved into a speed and skill based game, our knowledge of the consequences of fighting so often have evolved. Why risk a lifetime of problems fighting in a sport? I get fighting in certain areas of the game, but just going at it for the sake of it does not fit anymore.

Reactions: ChuckLefley

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I don't care what anyone says. Fighting belongs in the NHL, and the league is getting worse as it's getting phased out imo. I remember when "Rivalry Night" was a big deal, and teams genuinely hated each other. Now, Rivalry Night consists of two teams who probably exchanged a twitter jab.

Reactions: Big Phil

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't care what anyone says. Fighting belongs in the NHL, and the league is getting worse as it's getting phased out imo. I remember when "Rivalry Night" was a big deal, and teams genuinely hated each other. Now, Rivalry Night consists of two teams who probably exchanged a twitter jab.
For the most part fighting was always staged anyway

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I love when people make things up.

Where did I say I like Hockey with no passion?

Pansies? Homophobic, are we?

You’re a fool if you think the NHL will go back to the Broad Street Bullies days.

You sure did a great job destroying any respect I had for you in one asinine post.

A pansy is a flower, don't be so sensitive, it is a figure of speech.

The Broad Street days there was a lot of passion. You can't deny that. There was hate, and hate and animosity in sports is entertaining. Name two teams in the NHL that genuinely hate each other with a passion and you know right away that there will be fireworks when they meet. Maybe, MAYBE, the Bruins and Habs. Pens and Flyers could be another one. There was actually less fights per game in the 1970s than the 1990s. People don't realize this, because the bench clearing brawls make it seem like there were more, but there weren't. But teams hated each other and that was good for the game.

Now? It's too tame and sanitized. Too many people in the media that wag their fingers have too much power and influence now and the league has taken the bait. It isn't that our game isn't still fun to watch, but hockey was at its best when there was a hybrid of skill, rivalries and passion all blended in. I can't say that 2018 is the most entertaining the NHL has ever been because it isn't. We miss the passion that used to drip within the games. Nowadays the media is all up in arms if two players on the opposite team look each other the wrong way. We're reading lips, and in many ways the NHL has sold out. It is a lot more fun when it is just natural. It still happens, we just get it in glimpses more like the 2012 series between Philly and Pittsburgh.

So yeah, fighting is one of those ways that made the game more passionate, like it or not.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Actually it's not, but you probably knew it, realized you went overboard and tried to back up to escape the wrath of a mod. ;)

Merriam-Webster:
Definition of pansy

plural pansies
1 : a garden plant (Viola wittrockiana) derived chiefly from the hybridization of the European Johnny-jump-up (Viola tricolor) with other wild violets; also : its flower
2 a disparaging + offensive : a weak or effeminate man or boy
b disparaging + offensive : a male homosexual

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I liked the start with the Rags and the Bruins Cashman. He gets jumped and beats the tar out of that Ranger! The old Bruins were a tough bunch. Fight the Rangers, fight the Rangers fans, fight the cops. You have to like people who are going to be pushed around by ANYBODY!

Orr, Sanderson, Wayne Cashman, "Terrible" Teddy Green, Ken Hodge, John McKenzie and the leader of the 1970 SC winning team in PIMs, Don Awrey. Phil Esposito had 152 points and 71 PIMs that year.

Good music for the highlights! So many people have awful music and ruin the videos.
Ranger ?

What Ranger ?

Seems to be Gary Howatt from the Islanders.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I believe fighting became more "staged" after the instigator rule was instituted.
That's how I see it too.

I honestly could care less about the 'staged' fights between the enforcers, but really enjoy the heat of the moment fights between 2 teams that have it out for each other.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Actually it's not, but you probably knew it, realized you went overboard and tried to back up to escape the wrath of a mod. ;)

Merriam-Webster:
Definition of pansy

plural pansies
1 : a garden plant (Viola wittrockiana) derived chiefly from the hybridization of the European Johnny-jump-up (Viola tricolor) with other wild violets; also : its flower
2 a disparaging + offensive : a weak or effeminate man or boy
b disparaging + offensive : a male homosexual

I think that is added on for what is sometimes the slang word. Dictionary.com calls a "pansy" a flower. Either way, I'll stick to what I said earlier. There are too many men covering the game today that are shrinking violets and they have too much influence on how the game is played. This is why hockey is losing its passion and we can all remember a time when it was never a problem, when rivalries were real and entertaining. When you used to have the old guard reporters and they are being replaced by the Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole types of analysts/reporters then it makes a lot of sense why there are so many fingers wagging these days. It was a guy like James Duthie who was "shocked" when he heard Georges Laraque mic'd up asking to "go" with someone else. He equated it with finding out WWE was fake. It just shows you these guys are so distant from what the average fans knows, or likes.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I think that is added on for what is sometimes the slang word. Dictionary.com calls a "pansy" a flower. Either way, I'll stick to what I said earlier. There are too many men covering the game today that are shrinking violets and they have too much influence on how the game is played. This is why hockey is losing its passion and we can all remember a time when it was never a problem, when rivalries were real and entertaining. When you used to have the old guard reporters and they are being replaced by the Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole types of analysts/reporters then it makes a lot of sense why there are so many fingers wagging these days. It was a guy like James Duthie who was "shocked" when he heard Georges Laraque mic'd up asking to "go" with someone else. He equated it with finding out WWE was fake. It just shows you these guys are so distant from what the average fans knows, or likes.
Bravo !

"Shrinking violets", while still negative, is much less offensive than "pansy".

I partly agree with you, the pendulum has gone from an extreme to the other.

Update: Lions 76 Christians 1.

That "1" is a lion that died of acute indigestion.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016

Yes, a homophobic figure of speech, but you knew that.

The Broad Street days there was a lot of passion. You can't deny that. There was hate, and hate and animosity in sports is entertaining. Name two teams in the NHL that genuinely hate each other with a passion and you know right away that there will be fireworks when they meet. Maybe, MAYBE, the Bruins and Habs. Pens and Flyers could be another one. There was actually less fights per game in the 1970s than the 1990s. People don't realize this, because the bench clearing brawls make it seem like there were more, but there weren't. But teams hated each other and that was good for the game.

Now? It's too tame and sanitized. Too many people in the media that wag their fingers have too much power and influence now and the league has taken the bait. It isn't that our game isn't still fun to watch, but hockey was at its best when there was a hybrid of skill, rivalries and passion all blended in. I can't say that 2018 is the most entertaining the NHL has ever been because it isn't. We miss the passion that used to drip within the games. Nowadays the media is all up in arms if two players on the opposite team look each other the wrong way. We're reading lips, and in many ways the NHL has sold out. It is a lot more fun when it is just natural. It still happens, we just get it in glimpses more like the 2012 series between Philly and Pittsburgh.

So yeah, fighting is one of those ways that made the game more passionate, like it or not.

That’s great but it’s just your way of avoiding my question. You lied, you got called on it and now you aren’t man enough to admit it and apologize. I guess I could have expected that from someone who makes homophobic comments and than tries to whitewash them.

Somehow a second post dimished any respect I had for you even further. Enjoy touting the cement head Hockey days, I’ll bet you still tell people the 8-track is the best form of music.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
One another general note, it’s interesting how everyone who decides to engage me in this forum does saw by making up things I never said. I think that speaks volumes about the type of people who think fighting is the most or (near the top) important aspect of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->