Speculation: When Hell Freezes Over: What happens when we're healthy?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
that's why you start Gagner on the 4th line and give him PP time until he's good to go.

He'll be rusty anyway. After that it will be a matter of who plays best.....

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Um since I started this thread I'm wondering if a mod could change the title of this thread to

"When Hell Freezes Over: What happens when we're healthy?"

Prediction: Lander is going to look great. He's going to totally buy into whatever the coach is telling him and then we're going to be splitting hairs between Pitlick, Gadzic, Eager, Lander, Smyth, Action and Jones.

There won't be 2 people on this board with the same opinion on how to do the lines.

Now we're throwing Correy Potter into the mix. I'm sure there are a few people around here who feel he's worth a try. (Not me)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Um since I started this thread I'm wondering if a mod could change the title of this thread to

"When Hell Freezes Over: What happens when we're healthy?"

Prediction: Lander is going to look great. He's going to totally buy into whatever the coach is telling him and then we're going to be splitting hairs between Pitlick, Gadzic, Eager, Lander, Smyth, Action and Jones.

There won't be 2 people on this board with the same opinion on how to do the lines.

Now we're throwing Correy Potter into the mix. I'm sure there are a few people around here who feel he's worth a try. (Not me)

If things continue Potter will be our number one centre shortly

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Obviously a healthy Oiler squad will never exist, but in this fantasy world we're creating, I'd like to see:

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Joensuu - Gagner - Yakupov
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky
Smyth - Acton - Jones

Smid - Petry
Ference - Schultz
Schultz - Belov

Dubnyk

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
With our luck we will get guys like Cleary and Arnott

Boozers who like to get drunk and pick up girls left and right and then "change their ways" after we kick them to the curb.

Too bad we had so many bums like this

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Obviously a healthy Oiler squad will never exist, but in this fantasy world we're creating, I'd like to see:

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Joensuu - Gagner - Yakupov
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky
Smyth - Acton - Jones

Smid - Petry
Ference - Schultz
Schultz - Belov

Dubnyk

Why not switch Perron with Hall around there? I'm not convinced that Nuge and Eberle play at their best with Hall next to them and Perrson is a better player 2 way. At the same time I think Hall would go well with Hemsky and Gordon.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
With our luck we will get guys like Cleary and Arnott

Boozers who like to get drunk and pick up girls left and right and then "change their ways" after we kick them to the curb.

Too bad we had so many bums like this

Ever occur to you that maybe this was an organizational failure? That they didn't provide enough of a social support network or things to do or team activities or team unity-building that resulted in some guys just doing their own thing?

I definitely think so. Some organizations just never have these types of issues.

EDMOilers1984

Oct 28, 2013
Arcobello

How can anyone say at this point on this team he doesn't deserve to be in the NHL?? This guy has been the eptimy of what the oilers need. He has a good +/- on a line with 2 of the NHL's worst +/- players (RNH/Ebs). i am not knocking RNH or ebs because of their +/- because without these 2 guys in the lineup we'd be even worse (hard to imagine)
Arcobello wins faceoffs and plays a pretty sound 2 way game. The points are just coming to him. I hope he is here to stay, finally a player on this team that got no media attention and hype and is playing like a HOCKEY player......

We need a stud DMAN......Ferrence was a great addition, but we need one more. J Schultz is so hard to watch on TV. He is a defensive liability.

Belov has not impressed me at all. Put Grebeshkov back in the lineup. Belov flew from russia, has no idea about the nhl systems and is thrown into game action and if you ask me he looks very easy going out there. I don't see this gritty defensive game.

If smid took less stupid penalties, he would be great! still takes some silly penalties but steps in the line of fire and I like that!

Don't count dubnyk out, overall he's a .911 NHL goalie and I think is worthy of it. he's had no help. Let's see us go in and face 40+ shots a game and see how well we do. You're only as good as the team in front of you. Other teams will come back down to earth (the calgaries and the colorados....) its been 12 games into the season........

Just a thought

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
It's going to be interesting to see who gets to play an who is out if (god willing) all possible forwards end up healthy.

I count 8 guys as locks to play every night, and 10 guys as "maybes", some more maybe than others.

Locks: Hall, Perron, Gagner, RNH, Gordon, Hemsky, Eberle, Yakupov

Maybe: *Arcobello, Acton, Jones, Smyth, Pitlick, Eager, Joensuu, Lander, Hamilton, Gazdic

Out of the maybes: It is hard to include Arcobello on this list but I feel that with Gagner back his future is in jeopardy with the "big club". Joensuu should be playing every night IF he can manage to stay healthy. Jones has really started to play himself back into the mix this past week. Pitlick looks like he at least deserves a spot with the Oilers. Smyth has been at least much improved over last year. Acton has been better than I expected, not a world-beater, but effective enough as a 4C, plus it never hurts to have an extra center in the mix. Gazdic should probably stay as well. If we're keeping 14 forwards, I guess Lander, Hamilton and Eager would be the obvious three of these 18 to send down, although despite his lack of production as an NHL player thus far, I am impressed with what I've seen from Lander as far as defensive fundamentals. Eager has also looked better than last year. Hamilton was ok in his short time, but probably not a great option. And one more still has to go.

So with those three sent down, plus one more, I'm interested to see who would play primarily as the 9-12 forwards on most nights. I know that this may never be the situation, as there alwas appear to be 1 or 2 (or 6) guys injured, but it's still interesting.

The forward group at least looks OK. The bottom 6 at least is better than it has been in a while. Maybe a trade involving one of the higher end guys should be made to address the fact that we have a shortage of legitmate top 4 D. In my eyes, Petry is the only one of our d-men that could play in the top 4 of an average NHL team. Belov is slowly working his way there as well, but this needs to get addressed in one way or another.

I've hard Stauffer saying that the Rangers are likely to sign Girardi in the not so distant future, with his impending UFA status. Maybe we wait for them to sign him and make the Rangers a dynamite offer to get him. With the lack of quality on D for this team, a move needs to be made. IMO it would be more than worthwhile to sacrifice some offense in order to grab a quality D-man that could help stabilize this team. Nurse is on the way, same for probably at least one or two of our other prospects, but this team needs a solid veteran like Girardi who is at worst a #3 and more-so a #2.

What do people think it would take to get Girardi? He sure would help with a lot of what is wrong with this team.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I think once we're healthy keep these two pairs together.

Nuge-Eberle They have proven and great chemistry

Yak-Hall Hall doesn't seem to have great chemistry with Nuge and Eberle. Keeping Yakupov and Hall together with someone like Gagner or Gordon who can keep up offensively but be the safety valve on this line would be great. We saw at the end of last year what those two could do together and I think keeping those two together could work out great longterm.

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
we are never going to be healthy again

Hello darkness my old friend....

TobiasCrying.gif

13371026277.gif

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
He has a good +/- on a line with 2 of the NHL's worst +/- players (RNH/Ebs)

News to me that a +1 is one of the NHL's worst..

Edit: Not to mention that Arcobello doesn't even play on a line with Nuge and Ebs.. I like Arco but some of your points just don't make sense

Last edited:

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Seems like a lock that Arcobello will have to stay up with the big club once Gagner comes back.

He might get tested as a winger...or...Gagner goes to play the wing...or Acton goes down and Arco goes as a 4rth line centre...but...one way or another Arco has earned the right to remain here.

And I have to admit...I really didn't think that would happen. Gotta give this gutsy little guy credit. He's done well with his opportunity.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 6m

Hearing EDM's Sam Gagner (broken jaw) is getting much closer to a return. How close? Good question. This week? Tomorrow? We'll see.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Joenssu/RNH/Eberle
Hall/Gagner/Yakupov
Perron/Arcobello/Hemsky
Smyth/Gordon/Jones

Sethis

May 9, 2004
Joensuu-Hopkins-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky

Obvious top 9 (top 10 including Smyth), then it gets interesting.

Smyth-Arcobello-Jones
Gazdic, Acton

Arcobello - 4th line C who wins faceoffs, generates offense, hits and plays solid D. Yes, yes, yes, yes.

Jones - I would keep Pitlick, but I think he's better served playing top minutes in OKC for one last year. Could be Eager if Eakins is dead set on having extra truculence on the roster. Also, has shown chemistry with Smyth in the past.

Acton - Dude is the perfect guy to have as the 13F. He plays C, which is valuable, wins faceoffs, plays decent D and is passable at everything else across the board. However, he's old enough that having him sit in the box forever isn't a sin. Also, they told him he isn't going anywhere.

Gazdic - If we're gonna have a facepuncher in the lineup, I'd rather it be him than Eager. Can rotate in with Smyth/Jones situationally.

Pitlick, Lander - Better for them to show they can dominate in the AHL.

Eager - As I said before, toss-up between him or Jones depending on what player type you like more. I prefer Jones.

MacIntyre - Was a stupid move, now we have Gazdic and Eager looks okay. Get rid of the bum.

Hamilton - Eakins likes him, and if we didn't have an incumbent Ryan Smyth I might put him on that 4th line. But we do. And for the press box guys you apparently need a goon with MacT/Eakins so Gazdic wins out for that role and Acton is a better bet to keep around.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If we ever actually get healthy I'd like to see

Hall Gagner Yakupov
Perron Nuge Eberle
Joensuu Arcobello Hemsky
Eager/Jones/Gazdic (depending on what team we're playing) Gordon Pitlick

Gordon can take defensive zone face-offs, pk, and swap with arcobello depending on if we need a shutdown matchup on the ice.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 6m

Hearing EDM's Sam Gagner (broken jaw) is getting much closer to a return. How close? Good question. This week? Tomorrow? We'll see.

Won't make much of a difference whenever that is as he'll be rusty as hell. Besides, when one player returns, another gets put onto the IR. The question is, who will it be? lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad