Speculation: When Hell Freezes Over: What happens when we're healthy?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Smyth is hard to bench if he scores goals.
Arcobello wins face-offs and has had some good games.
Belongs on a scoring line.
Gagner can play on the right wing if we keep Arcobello up, but I can't see Hemsky or Eberle moving to the left wing.

Should we be expecting a trade?

Last edited by a moderator:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Just put Gagner in Acrobello's spot and bump him down to the 4th line.

Rotate Smyth in an out when needed.

This.

I'm a believer that Arcobello is getting points as a product of who he's on the ice with, and it will be totally OK to place Gagner in his spot and bump him down.

Just to clarify, Gagner on line 2, Arco on line 4

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Acrobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
You've been watching bad Oilers teams too long (like all of us) if you think Arcobello is hard to demote. He's a good AHLer, but a bad NHLer. So is Acton. This team still only has 3 NHL centres when Gagner is healthy.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Acrobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones

I donno man. I think I'd rather have Joensuu playing third line minutes. I could be wrong... but that 4th line looks like a proper 4th line.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Acrobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones

I like it but I would swap Smyth and Joenuu as he gives size to 2 smaller players, and the 4th becomes a real good checking line with a bit of scoring punch.

I think Jones is done though, but maybe Pitlick may slot in after a bit more experience. Very soft 4th line minutes, add some muscle to the 4th, learn from Gordon and Smyth.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Arcobello has done nothing to prove that he's any sort of long term NHL solution. You send him back to the AHL.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky
Joenssu-Gagner-Yakupov

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Arcobello has been quietly putting together a solid season by any standards. 5 points in 5 games, +4 on a team that's been getting lit up, 60.8% on the dot. I don't care he's undersized, the guy is a pretty good hockey player and should have a spot on the team that suffers from lack of depth. Put him on the 4th line, move Acton to the wing, and Brown to the PB. Problem solved.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
You've been watching bad Oilers teams too long (like all of us) if you think Arcobello is hard to demote. He's a good AHLer, but a bad NHLer. So is Acton. This team still only has 3 NHL centres when Gagner is healthy.

I'll take a bad NHLer who can get 3 points in a game, be +3 and be 70% in the faceoff circle.
He's abeen a lot better this season than you guys are giving him credit for.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm impressed with Arcobellos face off skills, he could be out next Reasoner. When Gagner comes back I'd have him rotate with Acton as the 4th line center. Like another poster mentioned, his assists are more then likely a by-product of who he's playing with.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I'm impressed with Arcobellos face off skills, he could be out next Reasoner. When Gagner comes back I'd have him rotate with Acton as the 4th line center. Like another poster mentioned, his assists are more then likely a by-product of who he's playing with.

It's a product of who he plays with only to an extent that someone like Eberle can convert on the chances that Brown or Acton never would. Arcobello was instrumental in at least two goals today (Eberle's and Smyth's second).

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Hall - Nuge - Hemsky
Perron - Gordon - Eberle
Joensuu - Gagner - Yakupov
Gazdic - Acton - Brown

Arco down.. as decent as he's been there's really no other option.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Perron-Gordon-Eberle
Joensuu-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Arcobello-Jones
Brown

Good lineup....although Gazdic brings a little more to the table than Brown. :nod:

EDIT: I guess I should have scrolled down a little further to see your thoughts on Gazdic.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Our team is obviously much improved, when Gagner returns. Our forward lines may be something like:

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Acrobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Gazdic

Employ Eakins version of MacBlender and...voila! The NHL is our oyster!

Baggman

Aug 24, 2010
Edmonton
Hall - Nuge - Hemsky
Perron - Gordon - Eberle
Joensuu - Gagner - Yakupov
Gazdic - Acton - Brown

Arco down.. as decent as he's been there's really no other option.

Top 6 talent, on a call up basis is depth that every good club should have.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Put Gagner on the wing he can play there and Arco deserves to stay where he is at.

I agree and think it's EDM's best option.

Also, for people suggesting Arco is a product of his linemates, that may be true, but he's still contributing and not hurting the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad