Speculation: When Hell Freezes Over: What happens when we're healthy?

Koto

May 3, 2011
Hall-Arco-Gagner
Yak-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Acton-Joensuu

This is what i got.

Hall RNH Gazdic
Smyth Gagner Yakupov
Joensuu Arco Hemsky
Perron Gordon Eberle

or

Yakupov RNH Perron
Joensuu Gagner Eberle
Hall Arco Gaz
Smyth Gordon Hemsky

4 scoring lines. Two lineups dependent on whether Perron and Yak play their off wings or not

Do you remember the JFJ experiment....no thanks.

last night, I checked nhl.com. It turns out we are 5th in the league in face off percentage. I would like that to continue even though it appears there is not correlation between face off percentage and winning.

when gagner comes back, he should be a winger until arco proves he is not an nhl player.

Hall - RNH - Yak
Perron - Arco - Eberle
Smyth - Gordon - Gagner

This so much, but you forgot Hemsky in your lineup, yaaaaaaay smyth to 4th line.

Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Yakupov - RNH - Eberle
Jonesuu - Arcobello - Perron
Smyth - Gordon - Jones

Yeah I like Penalty kilers instead of face punchers.

I'd actually prefer Acton to Jones, hes really not that bad, jones is a chicken with his head cut off.

I have no idea why some would be willing to send Arco down. The guy has been great and gives the most consistent effort of anyone on this team. Sad statement when (one of) our most willing hitters is 5'8 and 170, but he has been just that. Would be fine in a 4th line role when we're healthy. This is my lineup:

Hall-Gagner-Yak
Perron-Nuge-Ebs
Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Arco-Acton
Gazdic, Brown

5 centers in the lineup is ideal so that we're never taking a defensive zone draw without 2 centers on the ice. Allows you to cheat more (less worried if you get waived). Brown or Gazdic inserted if needed.

i'd rather give arco the chance to play with skill and see less of smyth.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Hall-Arco-Hemsky
Perron-RNH-Eberle
Gagner-Gordon-Yakupov
Smyth-Acton-Joensuu
Gazdic, Brown

Yakupov + Gagner, I prefer, over Yakupov on his off side. Then again, Yak-RNH-Ebs produced points, but i'm going to place that on Eberle going God mode over Yakupov suddenly finding his game.

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I think with Arcobello it's one of those cases where yes, he's played good and you want to see him stay, but Gagner will just be a better player at the position.

I am Lorde

Feb 20, 2013
I think most of us are expecting arcobello to quit playing so well. But until that happens theres no way we can send him down. I hope he keeps it up because he's been one of our best players.

McSaviour

Mar 6, 2013
Edmonton
31849-why-dont-we-have-both-gif-meme-IfmC.gif

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
Yak-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Arcobello-Hemsky
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Ganger-Joensui

Switch players around as needed. Play the lines that are going during the game???

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If fully healthy

Hall - Gagner - Arcobello ( Gags and Arco can switch positions as needed)
Yakupov - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky
Smyth - Acton - Joensuu
Gazdic, Brown

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I seem to remember Gagner being more effective as a C in the open ice than as a fwd battling along the boards. And he doesn't quite have the speed to play the speedy winger with hands game(ala MSL). I think the Oilers should play to his strengths.

Perron - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
Joensuu - Arco - Hemsky
Smyth/Gazdic- Gordon - Pitlick/Jones

Then roll 4 lines. We've been complaining about the Oilers C depth since the summer. If the team ever gets some, they should make use of it, imo.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Well Pitlick looked great, but...

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Perron-Acrobello-Hemsky
Jonesu-Gordon-Yakupov
Gazdic-Gagner-Pitlick
Smyth-Action-Jones
Eager-Smack

There are so many good things about this line-up and so many bad things.

1: Given how well Pitlick played, he deserves more minutes.
2: Yakupov deserves to play with better line mates.
3: Gagner deserves more minutes and better line-mates... so I'm going to change the bottom six.

Joensuu-Gagner-Yakupov
Gazdic-Gordon-Pitlick

If Gagner can win face-offs, this will work very well. If he can't, then I think you throw Gagner on the ice with Yak and Joensuu whenever there's a line-change in the middle of a play.

Gazdic-Gordon-Pitlick. That's a really tough line. It's way to confusing plus we've got way too many forwards up.

Obviously you send down guys in the following order: Smack, Eager, Jones, Action.

No. I don't want Smack on this team. He can't play hockey. Whenever he wants to fight people can skate away from him at 1/3 speed and he'll never catch them.

I'm done with Eager and pretty much done with Jones. Jones would have to get on a roll and start playing the best hockey of his life for me to want to keep him. Even if he does that I'm pretty sure I'd rather trade him to another WESTERN team for a draft pick, because I don't think he'd be able to keep it up. He's never been one to punish the opposition so I don't mind playing against him often.

Action gives good effort, but he's a bum at times. He did have a few good shifts today, but if we could get the kids playing with his confidence and 1/2 of his will power he'd be nothing to us.

If Yakupov gets hot or Hemsky gets cold, I'd switch them around.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
If the Oilers could pick up one more useful bottom-6 winger, they could have 4 relatively complete lines when healthy.

A draft pick and/or one of their d-men would likely do it.

For argument's sake:
Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Arcobello Yakupov
Smyth Gagner Hemsky
Joensuu Gordon ?????

As far as call-up options go, Acton, Lander, Omark, Jones, Eager, Pitlick, Hamilton, etc. are an embarrassment of riches.

A body-banging PKer with cycling ability would go a LONG way with the Oilers right now, and they could probably even overpay for it with one of Smid or Nultz....assuming that player had enough upside to potentially justify the overpayment.

Of teams looking to get better defensively in a hurry right now, Edmonton could realistically target:

Brian Boyle
Marcel Goc
Shawn Matthias
Scott Upshall
Ryan Garbutt
Antoine Roussel
Kyle Clifford

Honestly, I'd go strongest after Goc or Garbutt. Goc is a versatile player who could probably be had for very little. Garbutt is probably a perfect fit. Hometown guy, fought tooth and nail to get into the NHL and has stayed up. Can PK, hits a lot, is a pesky little *******, and they've got a player very similar in Roussel, who's younger and better, so they wouldn't lose too much by losing Garbutt. That 3rd rounder could probably land him.

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-Arcobello-Hemsky
Joensuu-Hopkins-Eberle
Gazdic/Smyth-Gordon-Pitlick

Roll the lines that are going three real scoring lines and one grinder shutdown line. All can play maybe except gazdic 10-15min

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Perron-Gagner-Eberle
Smyth-Gordon-Hemsky
Joensuu-Arco-Jones/Eager

Petry-Belov
J. Schultz-Ference
Smid-Grebs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad