Line Combos: when healthy

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
He would indeed need to be waived. I'm not fine with that. Andersson has performed exceedingly well on the PK and excels as a defensive center.

He'll undoubtedly be a healthy scratch, and he's certainly demonstrated this season that he can't perform even on the top line. Generally speaking, he's almost as ineffective as Cleary.

He as effective with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but thats it. Thats why I have him with those two when healthy. Though looking at my lineup, it would be cool to see Franzen with Zetterberg/Datsyuk and maybe put Eaves with Helm and Tatar, then put Glendening in the lineup.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
He as effective with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but thats it. Thats why I have him with those two when healthy. Though looking at my lineup, it would be cool to see Franzen with Zetterberg/Datsyuk and maybe put Eaves with Helm and Tatar, then put Glendening in the lineup.

He was of extremely limited utility even when played with those two earlier in the season. Cut it any way you want; he's not fit to be playing on the 1st line, and his presence there would be a detriment. He's old and slow.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
that kenny interview at detroit sports seems to indicate that sheahan and jurco are going down, sooner or later.

Of course they are. Roster limits and salary cap will force to do that, if others, some day, somehow, become healthy. So far that looks never happening...

We also have to re-call Sammy, if all the others become healthy. LTIR made his waivering possible.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Of course they are. Roster limits and salary cap will force to do that, if others, some day, somehow, become healthy. So far that looks never happening...

We also have to re-call Sammy, if all the others become healthy. LTIR made his waivering possible.

not just that.

talked about jurco, sheahan, glendening and then said that it's a men's league and you need a team of men to compete for stanley cup and to win.

and that once you establish yourself as a top notch AHL player, the next step to NHL can happen. sheahan hasn't done that and guess jurco hasn't too for long enough.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
'looking forward to getting stephen weiss back'.

'got some decisions to make re: cap'.

'hope to get pavs and Z back and get little bit of a run and get into the playoffs. once you get in it's wide open'

reading between the lines though, doubt they will be big players at TDL.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
'looking forward to getting stephen weiss back'.

'got some decisions to make re: cap'.

'hope to get pavs and Z back and get little bit of a run and get into the playoffs. once you get in it's wide open'

reading between the lines though, doubt they will be big players at TDL.

I don't think they should be. The playoff race is extremely close, and we've kept up with some good competition while missing our most important pieces. There isn't a glaring need on the team besides moving the old players out and welcoming the new. We've finally seen what Tatar can do for a good chunk of a season, and he's been surprising. Nyquist is steady as well. We have amazing center depth when healthy, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are still world class players. Being healthy in net and on the back-end will be key though.

I would hate hearing this kind of news any other year, but I'm not sure we're making a big playoff run this year. I would've said that last year too and we almost beat Chicago :laugh: But spectating the trade deadline might not be the worst thing in the world.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
This team is definitely not a deadline move or two away from contention. Even if we make the playoffs, I prefer our chances as a darkhorse team over giving away any valuable picks/prospects.

We have a fair shot if we're healthy and clicking on all cylinders in April/June, as does any team. A rental probably doesn't change that.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
if we can move some unnecessary depth plus a pick or lower level prospect for some higher end forward depth thats a good idea(a moulson or hemsky)

apart from that though their is no point in doing anything so dont bother wasting anyones time by pretending to be involved

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
This is how I'd roll the forwards and probably the goalies, while I would try very hard to make a trade for a decent defenseman to clean up after Smith and possibly another one to bump him or Kindl out of the top 6 entirely. Derek Morris maybe? Not wild about him but...

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($3.500m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.630m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.785m) / Tomas Jurco ($0.709m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Joakim Andersson ($0.733m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($0.925m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Xavier Ouellet ($0.670m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
BURIED
Danny Cleary ($0.825m)
Mikael Samuelsson ($2.900m)
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)
TRADED/OTHERWISE DISPOSED OF
Stephen Weiss ($4.900m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2013-14 crunched using simulation date of 2014-01-28)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; BONUSES: $3,190,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $6,250,167

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Those forward lines are perfection. Three lines that can score. All three!

Little disappointed Weiss doesn't factor into my ideal lineup at this point.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Those forward lines are perfection. Three lines that can score. All three!

Little disappointed Weiss doesn't factor into my ideal lineup at this point.

It's sad but I couldn't find a spot to put him. When you contribute less than Abdelkader, Eaves, and even Andersson and Bert, well....

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
when healthy

...eg Never. I am going to FLIP if all these guys play for their teams. Don't play for the Wings? Don't play for the national team, period. But that's too much to ask from this country club for a team.

To be clear, I exempt Z. He clearly played through it, trying his absolute best to perform while 30% of the cap was laid up. Kudos...he deserves his rest to try and put his best foot forward for his national team. Datsyuk? Franzen? No ****ing dice. Too bad, so sad, don't care...at all.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
when healthy

...eg Never. I am going to FLIP if all these guys play for their teams. Don't play for the Wings? Don't play for the national team, period. But that's too much to ask from this country club for a team.

To be clear, I exempt Z. He clearly played through it, trying his absolute best to perform while 30% of the cap was laid up. Kudos...he deserves his rest to try and put his best foot forward for his national team. Datsyuk? Franzen? No ****ing dice. Too bad, so sad, don't care...at all.

I was wondering about that. Have a rule where you have to play a certain amount of games for your team to be allowed in the Olympics.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco got bumped up to the 2nd line what does everyone think would happen?

Or Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist?

Well, didn't see the game tonight, but think I got my answer.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I still think Weiss is getting written off way too quickly. Who knows how long he was playing hurt for one, and two he wasn't bad when he played just... invisible.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I still think Weiss is getting written off way too quickly. Who knows how long he was playing hurt for one, and two he wasn't bad when he played just... invisible.

The one thing that keeps me hopeful with respect to the Weiss situation is that it was really his last (perhaps also first/only?) time to get big money on the UFA market. While it may be morally reprehensible, I could understand if he wanted to delay surgery in the off-season and downplay any possible/lingering injury issues before he got his money and suited up for a new team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Some random thoughts.... (wasn't sure what thread to put em in)

Pretty crazy to me that Zetterberg is a +19, and the next closest guy to him on the team is +8. :amazed:

Also though it was interesting that Brendan Smith has more Even Strength Points than Brian Campbell. A player a lot of guys on here want us to sell the farm for. Maybe if we gave Smith some PP time he could put up some Campbell-like production ;) (Also is only 1 ESP behind Cam Folwer and Drew Doughty)

The +/- for our bottom 6 guys(excluding Tatar/Helm/Abby) is absolutely horrendous.

Cleary -11
Andersson -8
Glendening -8
Miller -7
Eaves -5

And then there is Bertuzzi with a lovely -16

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist please. As a 3rd line of course. Love Jurco, but with bodies coming back. He's destined to be sent back to GR eventually. Then just figure out how you want Dats, Z, Mule, Alfie, Helm, Gator/Weiss in the top 6. Oh and yeah, I echo Frk's sentiments. Put Smith on the PP. Tired of the forward on the point. Put Alfie in the slot. If you need to, put Z back there if you want to load up one unit when a goal is really needed.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
when healthy

Lot of speculation up in here.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist please. As a 3rd line of course. Love Jurco, but with bodies coming back. He's destined to be sent back to GR eventually. Then just figure out how you want Dats, Z, Mule, Alfie, Helm, Gator/Weiss in the top 6. Oh and yeah, I echo Frk's sentiments. Put Smith on the PP. Tired of the forward on the point. Put Alfie in the slot. If you need to, put Z back there if you want to load up one unit when a goal is really needed.

I actually wonder if he's not being played on the PP to keep his cap hit low on his next contract.

I mean for defenseman it's as simple as pts=$$$. Pts even determine Norris trophies now :laugh

Smith has as many even strength points as Campbell, and is 1 behind players like Fowler and Doughty. That's some pretty expensive company to be in.

I'm pretty confident if we have him steady PP time he'd be right around a .5 ppg defenseman. And again, those aren't cheap.

It seems like his production at ES is begging for PP time. So I have to wonder why he's not getting it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad