When game is tied after OT - alternatives poll

Preferred action when tied after OT

• Total voters

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I see zero issues with continuous 3 on 3. Play your best players and eventually they will become tired and be scored upon, or mix in lesser players and likely be scored upon. I bet 95% of games would end within ~8 minutes of 3 on 3.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Hockey is entertainment. 3 on 3 - which is attainable during regular game time and therefore definitively not a gimmick - is simply hockey at its most exciting. I’d like to maximize that.
Playing without goalies is also attainable.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
3 points for regulation win. Rated above OT for tie breaker.

2 points for OT win. Rated above OT loss for tie breaker.
1 point for OT loss. Rated above SO win for tie breaker.

2 points SO win. Rated above SO loss for tie breaker.
1 point SO loss. It is what it is.

I'm just throwing numbers out there -- haven't even bothered to see what this would look like for prior seasons just to see what the standings would look like.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted continuous 3v3. But there'd have to be a solution for games that go too long. In the playoffs it's great to see a game go to 4th or 5th OT - i wouldn't want that in regular season, it would be dumb imo. Maybe cap it off at one, or even 2 20mins OT. And after that it's a tie (and give more points for winning vs losing in OT, to balance it out and force players to try).

member 157595

I never had a problem with ties, personally. I don't like any system that awards the same number of points to a shootout winner as a regulation/OT winner.

I don't expect anyone to agree but If I can't have ties, I'd have 2 points regulation/OT win, 1 point for a shootout win and no points for a loss of any kind. Never liked the idea of getting a point for a loss. But I'm stupid so w/e.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I hate the shootout more than anythjnf but extending OT is unrealistic although that's what I'd want

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I went with keeping the current system. 3-on-3 is fun to watch, and gives teams extra potential to recoup the big money they pay for their superstars. And I've always loved shootouts - I think they're very exciting.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I personally have more of a problem with games having different point values than forcing a winner (which I also dislike).

So if I can’t have ties I’d go with a three point system (second option - 3 points for regulation win, 2 for OT/SO win and 1 for loser), or just drop the loser point (but in that case ties would be better because the winner would be a coin toss). The three point system would put weight on actual wins and balance the points to be equal for every game.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Unplug the clock and play 3v3. If there are struggles ending games they can get creative and not allow any line changes if there is a faceoff in the defensive zone. This would encourage goalies to play the puck more often and keep the play moving.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The system is the way it is because of two things:

1. The league wants parity. Awarding three points for dominating teams that win in regulation is just going to separate certain teams from the pack. I don’t disagree that, in all fairness, regulation wins should count for more. But it’s never going to happen, especially if it hasn’t happened already. Everyone has thought of it. The league does not want it. To think that there is going to be a downturn in excitement as a game goes to OT because you know your team can no longer earn the maximum points would be a real downer and contrast to the exciting prospect OT is supposed to be.

2. I doubt the player’s association wants to allow OT to extend indefinitely. Everyone clamored for 3 on 3 and thought it would follow a 4 on 4 tie. Then, they just made OT 3 on 3. And kept the shootout because before it everyone said “I hate ties”.

There is no perfect system here, but at this point...with all the changes that have occurred...I don’t see it changing again any time soon and it’s honestly good enough for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad