When game is tied after OT - alternatives poll

Preferred action when tied after OT

• Total voters

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Currently the league forces a winner in every game. It feels wrong to me that a game ending in a shootout yields more combined points than a game ending in regulation. So when the game is tied after OT, would you rather:
a) end the game in a tie, with both teams getting one point. Neither team wanted the win enough so they share the two points.
b) give three points for a regulation time win, but otherwise keep the current system.
c) get rid of the loser point, but otherwise keep the current system
d) just keep the current system.

Does anyone even like shootouts and the loser point? Cast your vote!

Edit: Added continuous 3 on 3 as an option.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Figuratively speaking, human emotion killed the hockey tie.

You mean this one?
s-l300.jpg

Good riddance.

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Currently the league forces a winner in every game. It feels wrong to me that a shootout win gives more combined points than a normal win. So when the game is tied after OT, would you rather:
a) end the game in a tie, with both teams getting one point. Neither team wanted the win enough so they share the two points.
b) give three points for a clean win, but otherwise keep the current system.
c) get rid of the loser point, but otherwise keep the current system
d) just keep the current system.

Does anyone even like shootouts and the loser point? Cast your vote!
If they don't want ties then take the gimmicks out and play 5 on 5 till a team scores. You know real hockey ,team sport.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I’d rather just a 3 point system:

3 - ROW
2 - SOW
1 - SOL
0 - ROL

I know it doesn’t have much of an effect on the standings, but I just hate how some games are “worth” more than others

That’s the second option (b). Agree that all games should be worth the same.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
they should do 4 on 4 ot for 5 minute then a 3 on 3, instead of a 3 on 3, then to a shoot out.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
I’d rather just a 3 point system:

3 - ROW
2 - SOW
1 - SOL
0 - ROL

I know it doesn’t have much of an effect on the standings, but I just hate how some games are “worth” more than others

I like this option the best. That being said, I think sack races, 3 legged races, arm wrestling, and dance offs are all solid options.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm fine with the current system. Shootouts are quite rare...I think there have only been 27 so far this year. About 6% of games make it to the shootout? That's fine.

Different point systems don't end up making a huge difference I don't think (I've seen some analysis over the years where different scoring systems were applied to the current standings at the time and there were a few instances where teams switched places, but it mostly had no great effect).

Adding another 5 minute 3-on-3 period would probably reduce the shootout frequency to 1% - 2% (at which point you could bring back ties, I guess).

The whole reason for the loser point is to encourage teams to try to score in OT. You're already getting 1 point, so pin your ears back and go for it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Added it as an option.

Don’t think it’s viable as games would still go on an unknown amount of time though.
I think that was an issue before Teams started using Charters, shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
SO is easily the worst way to decide a game. I would love to see continuous OT. Maybe Drai and McD can try to play the whole time! (They were on for close to 4:30 of the 5:00 last night)

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Honestly?

Continuous 3v3 until someone wins. Just keep doing 5 minute periods. And also remove the loser point. A win is a win.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
Either keep it the same or go with 2 points for a regulation win, 1 point for an OT/SO win and 0 points for any loss.

Added it as an option.

Don’t think it’s viable as games would still go on an unknown amount of time though.

This can technically still happen with a shootout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad