When does Vokoun become the Pen's starter?

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Last four years:

Vokoun
2008-09 0.926 (Fla)
2009-10 0.925 (Fla)
2010-11 0.922 (Fla)
2011-12 0.916 (Wsh)

Fleury
2008-09 0.912
2009-10 0.905
2010-11 0.918
2011-12 0.913

Pretty significant difference.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
I wouldn't worry too much about what's going to happen 2 seasons from now goal-tending wise. There's a lot that can happen between then and now that no one can guess.

If Vokoun plays well enough to make it something worth worrying about, that's a good thing.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Bernier I like but hasn't proved anything. Reiner I'm not sold on him and if we panic now with Flower we would have multiple strokes with Reimer

But reimer did really good in his first season playing for a defensively weak team like toronto, i honestly think last year was a sphomore slump and he should do much better this year

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
I think Fleury is our guy going forward, but Vokoun definitely should start on Saturday. Ride the hot hand and all that jazz.

Hopefully this lights a fire under MAF, but I'm equally as worried he is too mentally fragile to rise to the occasion. Quite a strange conundrum.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
So everyone wants to get rid of Fleury now, huh?

It is quite interesting though, when the team in front of the goalie plays a full 60 minute hockey game, like in Philadelphia and Ottawa as well as the most recent game against the Rangers, that we see better results from who ever is in goal.

Nah, that involves actually watching the game. WHERE'S THE STAT SHEET!?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
He got concussed last year with an elbow to the head by Brian Gionta. Was never the same after

IMHO I think we should trade for a highupside young goalie, even if he falters we have vokoun which gives us more time to figure things out, even if fleary is not to be traded i want his caphit to be lowered, he is in no way a 5 million dollar goalie, if im not mistaken thats how much quicks going to be making for the next 10 years.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't really care about numbers. It's hard to know what to make of them. Save % can be misleading because not all shots and/or scoring chances are equal. GAA can be misleading because a great defense or conservative system can keep the goals against down.

The thing I like most about Vokoun is he's so calm back there. He's never scrambling around and is very efficient moving the puck to his D-Men. That calming presence has to rub off on the other guys.

Fleury obviously is a great athlete and is capable of more athletic saves. He's also much younger with his best years probably ahead of him but he's also wildly inconsistent at times.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think Fleury is our guy going forward, but Vokoun definitely should start on Saturday. Ride the hot hand and all that jazz.

Hopefully this lights a fire under MAF, but I'm equally as worried he is too mentally fragile to rise to the occasion. Quite a strange conundrum.

Where do yinzers get this idea from? Because he's had bad games in his career? Okay, what goalie hasn't? I'd say Hank looked a little "mentally fragile" in his last two games against the Penguins.

IMHO I think we should trade for a highupside young goalie, even if he falters we have vokoun which gives us more time to figure things out, even if fleary is not to be traded i want his caphit to be lowered, he is in no way a 5 million dollar goalie, if im not mistaken thats how much quicks going to be making for the next 10 years.

:shakehead

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
All I want is a goalie who in the playoffs will not let in the first shot in the first ten seconds in more than 50% of the games.

Why do I even have to ask for such things?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
All I want is a goalie who in the playoffs will not let in the first shot in the first ten seconds in more than 50% of the games.

Why do I even have to ask for such things?

No problem! In fact, you have one that won a Stanley Cup! :D

Personally, I want to see a team that plays 60 minutes regardless of who's in net.

metalan2

May 30, 2008

It is quite interesting though, when the team in front of the goalie plays a full 60 minute hockey game, like in Philadelphia and Ottawa as well as the most recent game against the Rangers, that we see better results from who ever is in goal.

Yes exactly. The team played 100% perfect hockey tonight with zero turnovers. They alwso cleared rebounds out well too. Oh wait they didn;t have to, because here were no rebounds.

So when Vokoun plays team plays perfect hockey, when Fleury plays defense: is horrible, OG Fucckg horrible defense, turnovers!!!!!!!!

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

Where was Fleury's 60-minute game against the Islanders? Or should I say 40-minute game?

- Was it on the first goal where he lays the paddle down and completely commits to a non-existent pass and then gets owned on a wrap-around goal by someone who had never scored an NHL goal?

- Was it on the 2nd goal where he "flashed the leather" to exaggerate a missed save?

- Was it on the 4th goal where he tried the rarely successful 360-spin save and again found himself off balance and out of position?

Sure, you can pin all of the goals on the defense if you like, but that doesn't excuse poor goaltending technique.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Where was Fleury's 60-minute game against the Islanders? Or should I say 40-minute game?

- Was it on the first goal where he lays the paddle down and completely commits to a non-existent pass and then gets owned on a wrap-around goal by someone who had never scored an NHL goal?

- Was it on the 2nd goal where he "flashed the leather" to exaggerate a missed save?

- Was it on the 4th goal where he tried the rarely successful 360-spin save and again found himself off balance and out of position?

Sure, you can pin all of the goals on the defense if you like, but that doesn't excuse poor goaltending technique.

Stop being such a yinzer. Fleury won a cup once.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Why am I not surprised this thread lit up after tonight's game? Vokoun was good, but be honest with yourselves: the team in front of him (as well as the Rangers honestly) made it extremely easy on him.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Why am I not surprised this thread lit up after tonight's game? Vokoun was good, but be honest with yourselves: the team in front of him (as well as the Rangers honestly) made it extremely easy on him.

This isn't a thread that was started by tonight's outcome though. I'm not ready to give up on Fleury yet either, but he's been pretty lackluster when it's mattered for a few seasons now.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Why didn't Vokoun make saves against Winnipeg then? Certainly he could have done better. Swings both ways buddy.

Yo Pittsburgh, you really need to get out of this star-bashing mentality. Because when those stars finally do leave, only then you realize how good you had it. Some might already feel that way about Staal.

Dude, you actually watch the game? According to others here, that's totally lame and means you're arguments are invalid! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE STATS BRO! :sarcasm:

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Why didn't Vokoun make saves against Winnipeg then? Certainly he could have done better. Swings both ways buddy.

Yo Pittsburgh, you really need to get out of this star-bashing mentality. Because when those stars finally do leave, only then you realize how good you had it. Some might already feel that way about Staal.

Dude, you actually watch the game? According to others here, that's totally lame and means you're arguments are invalid! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE STATS BRO! :sarcasm:

maf is not a star. It's kind of the point of the thread. He needs to start by learning from TV on how to control and see the puck at all times. I just want the best goaltender in net.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

No, it doesn't. One was full of technical flaws and the other was standing on his head just to keep the Pens in the game. If you would care to make assessments in any technical flaws that Vokoun displayed during those goals against, then I am willing to listen to them. Otherwise, I'm not interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad