When does Vokoun become the Pen's starter?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Well, read into it however you like, but I don't think anyone is trying to paint the black and white picture that you're claiming. It just seems like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about criticism towards Fleury.

That's better than going out of your way to criticize one of the stars on this team, which is all too common in Pittsburgh.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
That's better than going out of your way to criticize one of the stars on this team, which is all too common in Pittsburgh.

Well we've gotten to the crux of where we disagree. I mean obviously a happy medium is best, but if given the choice, I'll take critical fans over fans that just accept whatever is in their city. Homer vs Yinzer I guess. :laugh:

Sideline

May 23, 2004
So lets see, you have a goalie that has been to two finals and won a cup, and you also consider the fact the Penguins don't want to wear out any of their goalies, and you think trading Fleury is a good idea? :shakehead

I don't always agree with Shero, but I'm glad he doesn't take advice from the typical fans.

Chris Osgood.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Well we've gotten to the crux of where we disagree. I mean obviously a happy medium is best, but if given the choice, I'll take critical fans over fans that just accept whatever is in their city. Homer vs Yinzer I guess. :laugh:

So not bashing Fleury is just "accepting whatever is in the city?"

Okay then....

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We don't need stellar goaltending. Make the saves you should and we're golden. I have no problem dealing Fleury.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
TVs elite rebound control on display tonight. Anyone else think the pens are still in it with MAF in net?

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

See, all I have to do is read that "Hank" is somehow less of a goalie than Fleury, and I truly understand how lost people are.

For years, when the Rags couldn't score more than 2 goals a game, he had to consistently be the team's best player in order to even make the playoffs, much less be a contender.

Lundqvist is by FAR the best goalie in the League. If you don't see that, or at least acknowledged that he's at least a notch above Fleury, then there's no point in talking to you.

Lundqvist definitely looking like the best goalie in the league by far tonight :shakehead

JimsDoors

May 11, 2010
Tri-State County
TVs elite rebound control on display tonight. Anyone else think the pens are still in it with MAF in net?

The above is the type of post that you get everytime with these type of threads.

"My specualtion on the saves made > your speculation of what saves would have been made"

"therefore I'm right
"

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Lundqvist definitely looking like the best goalie in the league by far tonight :shakehead

Every goalie has an off night, pens have had his number so far this year. But Lundqvist is the best, or at least in the conversation as the best goalie in the league. Fleury, isn't. That's not to say that many of Fleurys detractors aren't idiotic.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Vokoun is just superior to Fleury in every way but athleticism.

Tonight is not the be all end all, but how much more comfortable does everyone feel with him in net?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
My preference is that the Pens make the best goalie to be their starting goalie. That being said, Vokoun's results speak for itself:

SV% = .940
EVSV% = .965
GAA = 1.81

As for Fleury's so far:

SV% = .890
EVSV% = .890
GAA = 2.95

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Nothing would make me happier than Vokoun grabbing the reigns and carrying the team through the season and a couple playoff rounds.. because Fleury's $5 million cap hit can be spent elsewhere.

That said, that's unrealistic. And comparing stats after 7 games is silly. They'll both have their streaks and slumps, as will the team in front of them.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Vokoun had some good luck with the posts tonight, but just the same I just feel more secure with him in net, and with what we've seen so far this season, Vokoun should at least be allowed to try and build on this to establish himself as our number 1. Whether temporary or not.

I might be one of the biggest MAF doubters on this board, but you just cannot argue that Vokoun has not been the better goalie so far, and unlike our past backup... Vokoun does not need to be considered a backup. He can take that spot and run with it.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Nothing would make me happier than Vokoun grabbing the reigns and carrying the team through the season and a couple playoff rounds.. because Fleury's $5 million cap hit can be spent elsewhere.

That said, that's unrealistic. And comparing stats after 7 games is silly. They'll both have their streaks and slumps, as will the team in front of them.

And then what if Fleury is gone. Who do you target?

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I like the competition this creates and Vokoun has certainly played better, but settle the hell down folks, it's been a few games.

With that said I have no problem rising the hot hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad