When does Vokoun become the Pen's starter?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So because there's a goaltending thread, it's okay to twist reality and blame everything on Fleury?

Following that logic, I'm going to make a Mario thread and talk about how terrible of a player he was!

Good luck finding stats to back that up :laugh:

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
So because there's a goaltending thread, it's okay to twist reality and blame everything on Fleury?

Following that logic, I'm going to make a Mario thread and talk about how terrible of a player he was!

Nobody is blaming everything on Fleury. Do you realize how ridiculous you sound with stuff like this?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Why is everyone that disagrees with you a yinzer?

It's not about disagreeing with me, it's about this mentality in Pittsburgh where we want to run the star players out of town during a rough stretch, but we defend the lesser players like crazy. Terry Bradshaw won 4 super bowls, and he got it worse than Ben ever has thus far. It's as if the fans here look for reason to forget all the good a star athlete has done when he does a few things wrong.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
It's not about disagreeing with me, it's about this mentality in Pittsburgh where we want to run the star players out of town during a rough stretch, but we defend the lesser players like crazy. Terry Bradshaw won 4 super bowls, and he got it worse than Ben ever has thus far. It's as if the fans here look for reason to forget all the good a star athlete has done when he does a few things wrong.

Is suggesting that another goalie(Vokoun) might be better, when all the numbers support it, really "running him out of town"?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Is suggesting that another goalie(Vokoun) might be better, when all the numbers support it, really "running him out of town"?

Ah, more numbers and stats from you. But yes, from what your other Fleury bashing buddies have said, it does. How many "TRADE FLEURY!!!!111!!!1111!111!!!one!!!!!" posts have popped up on these threads?

Pittsburgh just isn't a smart sports town. Passionate, but not smart.

metalan2

May 30, 2008

It's not a rough stretch, it's a rough four years, plus a mediocre career. I'd say that warrants a lot of criticism.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Ah, more numbers and stats from you. But yes, from what your other Fleury bashing buddies have said, it does. How many "TRADE FLEURY!!!!111!!!1111!111!!!one!!!!!" posts have popped up on these threads?

Pittsburgh just isn't a smart sports town. Passionate, but not smart.

Good thing there are the super smart fans like you to rein everyone in. :rolleyes:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Because his stat sheet says so?

Yes, actually they are.

Yes, they are piling up with you. You're really running out of things to say besides quoting the stat sheets. :laugh:

Kind of sad isn't it? All that skill Hank has and he can't seem to come up in the big moments. He even has 5 other goalies in front of him and can't get it done.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

See, all I have to do is read that "Hank" is somehow less of a goalie than Fleury, and I truly understand how lost people are.

For years, when the Rags couldn't score more than 2 goals a game, he had to consistently be the team's best player in order to even make the playoffs, much less be a contender.

Lundqvist is by FAR the best goalie in the League. If you don't see that, or at least acknowledged that he's at least a notch above Fleury, then there's no point in talking to you.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
When Fleury starts costing them games, and for an extended period.

Considering they are serious about keeping Fleury fresh for the playoffs, that won't happen this year. Even if Fleury is as bad as the stat boys are saying he is, he's not going to play that many games in a row.

It's not a rough stretch, it's a rough four years, plus a mediocre career. I'd say that warrants a lot of criticism.

Mediocre career? :shakehead

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

See, all I have to do is read that "Hank" is somehow less of a goalie than Fleury, and I truly understand how lost people are.

For years, when the Rags couldn't score more than 2 goals a game, he had to consistently be the team's best player in order to even make the playoffs, much less be a contender.

Lundqvist is by FAR the best goalie in the League. If you don't see that, or at least acknowledged that he's at least a notch above Fleury, then there's no point in talking to you.

Actually, there is a knock out there against Hank for his performance in the playoffs, warranted or not.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Just how in the hell is one supposed to judge a goaltender anyway? All the stats are imperfect measures as they are highly influenced by factors outside of the goalie's control.

So what's left then? Does it end up being completely subjective, which is obviously prone to all sorts of subtle bias and selective memory? Sheer results? Or maybe you end up going back to the stats because though imperfect, you figure that a lot of it ends up evening out in the long haul.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Considering they are serious about keeping Fleury fresh for the playoffs, that won't happen this year. Even if Fleury is as bad as the stat boys are saying he is, he's not going to play that many games in a row.

He needs to make big saves more consistently, which was what made him unique and valuable before. He can't be blamed extensively for most games though. Some people can't accept that.

This is a town where some people actually blamed Roethlisberger when the Steelers put up over 30 points and lost to the Raiders. Just the way it is. The blame's gotta be focused on one guy and the QB and goalie are easy targets.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Really? Someone speculating that Fleury might be a problem is the equivalent of blaming every single thing on him to you? Alright.

Yes, he's saying the team has given up on Fleury and that's why they play poorly. I'd say that's blaming the majority of the Penguins problems on him.

Hank is off to a shaky start. So applying the same logic that the Fleury bashers use, the Rangers should trade him for picks and high scoring wingers.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Because the Penguins don't need a Sharp or a Kessel right now, and Fleury isn't the problem with the team.

God, why can't the yinzer mentality just stay on the Stiller forums?

The Penguins' powerplay desperately needs the symmetry a right hand shot can provide. If you disagree then replace Kessel or Sharpe with a guy like Hjalmarsson in my prior argument.

I never said Fleury was the problem. In fact, I said I thought he's been okay. He's not better than Vokoun. He's younger, but he's also more than twice as expensive.

There's no need to dump him for cap space, but if you take Fleury off the roster the team does not get worse or better come playoff time. He's not a core player in the sense that the Penguins cup hopes don't die if he breaks his leg on the last day of the regular season. He should be on the block if it brings back a long term solution for the top 6 forward or top 4 defense groups.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Yes, he's saying the team has given up on Fleury and that's why they play poorly. I'd say that's blaming the majority of the Penguins problems on him.
Well, read into it however you like, but I don't think anyone is trying to paint the black and white picture that you're claiming. It just seems like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about criticism towards Fleury.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The Penguins' powerplay desperately needs the symmetry a right hand shot can provide. If you disagree then replace Kessel or Sharpe with a guy like Hjalmarsson in my prior argument.

I never said Fleury was the problem. In fact, I said I thought he's been okay. He's not better than Vokoun. He's younger, but he's also more than twice as expensive.

There's no need to dump him for cap space, but if you take Fleury off the roster the team does not get worse or better come playoff time. He's not a core player in the sense that the Penguins cup hopes don't die if he breaks his leg on the last day of the regular season. He should be on the block if it brings back a long term solution for the top 6 forward or top 4 defense groups.

So lets see, you have a goalie that has been to two finals and won a cup, and you also consider the fact the Penguins don't want to wear out any of their goalies, and you think trading Fleury is a good idea? :shakehead

I don't always agree with Shero, but I'm glad he doesn't take advice from the typical fans.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
People here love fleury too much. Who here actually feels that they're team has a chance to win when fleury's in net? I may be being a little too harsh but fleury sometimes shows up to games and sometimes doesnt. Like during the ottowa game he was amazing and we wouldnt have won without him, i finally start having faith in him, then he lets in a bucnh of goals against the islanders that he couldve stopped even if they were caused by thurnovers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad