When does this era end?

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Just my opinion but I will wait till the playoffs to make my decision on Clode and Chia.
I still think we can take a run at this thing. Hope we get Montreal first and build off that to the Stanley Cup.
Even this year when we are on our game and playing our style with precision we can beat ANY team in this league.

Which is telling us that the system is working. This year, it's on the players, first and foremost. I have to say that I was a big PC Supporter but.... not anymore. I understand that there's always a lot of moving parts when it becomes to trade but it seems to me that Chiarelli is a GM without a plan; without solutions.

I have no doubt that the guy is working hard but in the end, our GM become an excuses machine and it seems that he's the only one who can't make a trade or two to improve his team. This year was a big test for him. He failed. His team needed help and he knew that from the very beginning. You didn't need to be an expert to make the conclusion that the Boychuk departure created a gaping hole and that his trade was a terrible mistake. Instead of correcting it, Chiarelli waited; gambling on his youth and depth to "repair: his blunder. Never happened and when he saw it, he decided to wait to the deadline which give him his favorite excuse to justify his inactions: Prices were too high. All purpose excuse to cover the fact that he overrated our depth and youth while not being able to land that significant addition upfront and on D.

Medias in Boston are very soft toward Chiarelli saying that he deserve "another" chance. The last time I checked, this mess was created by Chiarelli himself. The overpriced contract with NMC to marginal players; inability to evaluate our depth and youth properly ( and the bad habit to overrate prospects and players from other teams ); our awful drafting... People are complaining about Clode but when you look at the number of young players who turned into successful NHL'ers under him, you need to applaud. The same way as his system, when applied, give excellent results. The canning of Lewis and the hiring of Julien is probably the best move EVER from Chiarelli.

I said multiple times, in here, that I don't trust Chiarelli going forward. We have huge offseason decisions to make regarding our core players and I hope that Chiarelli's not going to be the guy who will decide. I give him all the credit for the hiring of Claude and the Cup but, in the end, the Bruins need to reach the next level; a level that they won't reach with PC.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
they let the heart of the team walk/ trade them away.

The issues are deeper than Boychuck. He would have a positive effect but this team would be a 5th or 6th seed instead of fighting for an 8. No one on this team can finish and Boychuck would be our only sure thing on the blue line. The play on the top 6 has been awful. Everyone shares the blame but Chiarelli takes the biggest slice of the pie because he has 8 players that are difficult to trade because of NMC or NTC.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It ends next month.

Seems like it.

When you trade your top4D and your 2 top D players are past their prime+ have suffered lower body injuries and you choose not to replace them, well this is what happens then.

Before the deadline we were already thin on D and we were top1 rw and top4D short and after the deadline we are short of top4D and top1 rw.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Careful what you wish for.

Lol, I was scrolling down and was thinking the same thing. No system is perfect if you don't have the correct players for it. Having said that, it's a system that I've never liked. Takes the skill out of the game.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
You are watching the end once this season is over.
Playoffs...... Playoffs..... I don't think this team makes the playoffs. Their schedule is brutal. They have Florida 3 times, TB 3 times, Detroit 2 times, Wash 2 times, Pens, Ducks, Rangers, Philly, Ottawa...Yikes and their easier games are Tor, Buf and Car.
I don't think they make it. Which will be good.

Agree that Claude is the first to go. Chia is a close second. He has two major moves that haunt him. 1) Seguin deal 2) Boychuk deal Two that were not his best 1) Kaberle deal 2) Wheeler deal. Handing out big contracts and NTC's. Letting Horton and Iginla walk for nothing.

Management needs to realize that the system Claude puts out doesn't work anymore. They need an influx of talented youth. Time to say goodbye to Claudes boys. Paille, Campbell and Kelly. Time to say goodbye to Chara and Seids. the GM needs to move these guys for major assets. Maybe Lucic and Krejci need to be moved as well.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
You are watching the end once this season is over.
Playoffs...... Playoffs..... I don't think this team makes the playoffs. Their schedule is brutal. They have Florida 3 times, TB 3 times, Detroit 2 times, Wash 2 times, Pens, Ducks, Rangers, Philly, Ottawa...Yikes and their easier games are Tor, Buf and Car.
I don't think they make it. Which will be good.

Agree that Claude is the first to go. Chia is a close second. He has two major moves that haunt him. 1) Seguin deal 2) Boychuk deal Two that were not his best 1) Kaberle deal 2) Wheeler deal. Handing out big contracts and NTC's. Letting Horton and Iginla walk for nothing.

Management needs to realize that the system Claude puts out doesn't work anymore. They need an influx of talented youth. Time to say goodbye to Claudes boys. Paille, Campbell and Kelly. Time to say goodbye to Chara and Seids. the GM needs to move these guys for major assets. Maybe Lucic and Krejci need to be moved as well.
If Claude is the first to go, I will have to conclude that the ownership is more clueless then expected. The likeliest scenario is a double firing, IMHO.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Claude is the first to go, I will have to conclude that the ownership is more clueless then expected. The likeliest scenario is a double firing, IMHO.

They have to be fired at the same time,

Julien= everyone knows his game plan, habs continues to humiliate us because julien won't chance anything and he keeps playing our slow veterans over fast youngsters. Last night I watched Spooner and thought wow they are going to bench this speedster so they can play campbell.

Chia= built this team and this mess, and his deadline actions were bad,
before the deadline we were top4 D and top1 rw short and after deadline we are still top4 D and top1rw short, and he wasn't even after players like that.

Last edited:

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I have come to the conclusion that Claude's system is flawed. His lack of offence constantly puts a stress on our goaltending and defense. Prior years they have been up to the task but with the departure of some key defensive players, and locker room voices, I truly believe Claudes time has come. the league is moving in a different direction and he is not accommodating it.

2010/2011 - Bruins #5 in the NHL in goals scored
2011/2012 - Bruins #3 in the NHL in goals scored
2012/2013 - Bruins #13 in the NHL in goals scored
2013/2014 - Bruins #3 in the NHL in goals scored

so in the past 4 years the Bruins have been top 5 in goals scored three times in the NHL and you think its CJ's lack of offence system?

Sorry I have to 100% disagree.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
2010/2011 - Bruins #5 in the NHL in goals scored
2011/2012 - Bruins #3 in the NHL in goals scored
2012/2013 - Bruins #13 in the NHL in goals scored
2013/2014 - Bruins #3 in the NHL in goals scored

so in the past 4 years the Bruins have been top 5 in goals scored three times in the NHL and you think its CJ's lack of offence system?

Sorry I have to 100% disagree.

This! So much this! :laugh:

If people want to complain about Claude's lack of trust in some younger players, his horrific personnel decisions at the end of games (Campbell as the 6th attacker), his unwillingness to switch up lines, run with a line that's hot all night out every other shift or him rolling four lines to a fault I'll will 100% concede. He can be overly frustrating in these regards.

But these broken narratives that he isn't good for young players or that he stifles offense are tired, old and just plain false.

Let's face it, Chia didn't give him the ponies to play the way he wants so most nights the team is losing 1-2 or 2-3. If we had another coach that opened things up the Bruins also don't have the ponies to run that race and the loses would be 3-6 or 3-5 or whatever. Point is this is one of the worst roster and most injury riddled seasons this team has had in a while, one of the few reasons they're even in a playoff position right now is that big guy behind the bench that makes all those funny faces.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
the team has been missing it's first line center for half the season.

When DK was here and supposedly healthy he wasn't making a difference and I don't think he's that great anyway. He'd be a 3rd line center on most other teams maybe 2nd line center on a cellar dweller. Wait a minute, Bergy is REALLY the #1 center here so I guess DK is the 2nd line center here. So what does that make the Bs? Well whenever he gets back, I'm looking forward to seeing the "magician" as Jack and Brick keep calling him, though I get the feeling I'm going to be waiting and waiting and waiting for this apparent magic to appear for a while as I have when he has been here in the past.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
This! So much this! :laugh:

If people want to complain about Claude's lack of trust in some younger players, his horrific personnel decisions at the end of games (Campbell as the 6th attacker), his unwillingness to switch up lines, run with a line that's hot all night out every other shift or him rolling four lines to a fault I'll will 100% concede. He can be overly frustrating in these regards.

But these broken narratives that he isn't good for young players or that he stifles offense are tired, old and just plain false.

Let's face it, Chia didn't give him the ponies to play the way he wants so most nights the team is losing 1-2 or 2-3. If we had another coach that opened things up the Bruins also don't have the ponies to run that race and the loses would be 3-6 or 3-5 or whatever. Point is this is one of the worst roster and most injury riddled seasons this team has had in a while, one of the few reasons they're even in a playoff position right now is that big guy behind the bench that makes all those funny faces.

I don't think anyone is saying there are no good things about Claude but just imagine if he did what he does AS WELL AS CHANGE THE BOLDED, then maybe the results would be there?

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
When DK was here and supposedly healthy he wasn't making a difference and I don't think he's that great anyway. He'd be a 3rd line center on most other teams maybe 2nd line center on a cellar dweller. Wait a minute, Bergy is REALLY the #1 center here so I guess DK is the 2nd line center here. So what does that make the Bs? Well whenever he gets back, I'm looking forward to seeing the "magician" as Jack and Brick keep calling him, though I get the feeling I'm going to be waiting and waiting and waiting for this apparent magic to appear for a while as I have when he has been here in the past.

:whaaa?:

I don't think anyone is saying there are no good things about Claude but just imagine if he did what he does AS WELL AS CHANGE THE BOLDED, then maybe the results would be there?

The thread was about him stifling offense which is just patently false. The things you have in bold of mine are definitely worth a discussion but the bottomline is he gets results. Every coach has their warts, hell even Detriot fans complain about some of the things Babcock does, in the end all you have is their track record to go by and Claude is top-5 in the league in that regards IMO.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I don't think any time soon. Our core is still young, and while this season has been a disaster, and riddled with injuries and issues; we are still cliniging to the 8th spot.

If anything the coach has shown that he can overcome not having the right tools in the box and still contend. I don't think I drink the kool-aid, but I still feel like this team has the core to contend for several more years; which means that Claude isn't likely going anywhere if he doesn't want to.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Julien_zpsfrrcueyv.jpg

Yeah, he's pretty sucky.. In eight years here, a .630 PTS%, basically finishes 1st or 2nd in the division every year, won a Jack Adams, been to the finals twice, won a cup.
:rolleyes:
Any coach can only do with what he is given... and if you're going to blame someone for this season, take a look at the guy who's given Claude Julien the roster he was given, because ALL THE NTCs, NMCs, and bonuses etc HAVE FINALLY REARED THEIR UGLY HEAD, which has subsequently led to ridiculous decision making by the same individual.

Yeah, that damn Claude.:shakehead

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Injuries.... Name me one team who could withstand injuries to their top center, #1 dman, #3 dman returning from big injury (Seidenberg).

Clode drives me crazy at times, Chiarelli's love affair with everything 2011 is foolish, but this season falls on injuries AND the players lack of hunger.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I know this wont go over well but I think if we can trade Chara at the draft for a young D it would go a long way towards helping his team. Don't get me wrong Chara has been the heart and soul of this team and he will go down as one of my favourite Bruins with Orr ( yes I'm old ) Bourque, Neely etc but from a pure business perspective it's time to try and let him go and rebuild the D. He looks old and slow out there and moving forward his cap dollars along with losing a few others would help this team in the long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad