When does the Yzerplan start getting criticized?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
DeBrincat misses his preseason over/under DraftKings Goal total by 9 despite playing 82/82 games. Not sure why people are acting like he had a good enough season.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
View attachment 853369

I think this speaks for itself
Hard to disagree.

I think the wings forwards are pretty good defensively as a whole which helps because that defense + goalie combo this season had to easily be bottom 5 in the league. It was hard to watch most nights as the team constantly had to outscore their problems but that's what made this season fun as a result.

I really hope Steve does a lot better this summer for the defense if he wants the team to take another step.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Hard to disagree.

I think the wings forwards are pretty good defensively as a whole which helps because that defense + goalie combo this season had to easily be bottom 5 in the league. It was hard to watch most nights as the team constantly had to outscore their problems but that's what made this season fun as a result.

I really hope Steve does a lot better this summer for the defense if he wants the team to take another step.

They already upgraded to Simon Edvinsson. Kid is going to be a stud. Yzerman is going to promote within. They have a lot of talent in the development pool.

Reactions: Realgud

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Hard to disagree.

The Wings team got pretty lucky this year on the shooting percentage front. The team is likely to take a step back next year, and they aren't particularly young.

Doesn't seem like a recipe for success to me.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
They already upgraded to Simon Edvinsson. Kid is going to be a stud. Yzerman is going to promote within. They have a lot of talent in the development pool.
People don’t realize that Detroit has some pretty nice prospects ready/nearing ready to make the next jump. This team is still in a rebuild.

The veterans on the team are just to help insulate these younger players and create a winning atmosphere.

Being 1 point out of the final tournament isn’t a bad result for this team. Another improvement from the prior years.

Next year should be another step forward in the right direction. Big off season for some of the young guns and Stevie to see who’s being kept and who else he will bring in via free agency or trade to help improve the team again.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
As always, I'm sure the "nEuTrAlS" will suggest firing Yzerman, having a fire sale, and bottoming out for the next 5 season and "hope to win a lottery pick to build around".

This forum can be such a broken record sometimes.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
DeBrincat misses his preseason over/under DraftKings Goal total by 9 despite playing 82/82 games. Not sure why people are acting like he had a good enough season.
People trying to save fact after all the taunting last summer.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Anyone who wants to criticize the Yzerman rebuild should point out what he could have done differently that would have the team in a better spot. He can’t pull star talent out of thin air and he has drafted very well in the first round so far. He’s made a bunch of small moves that have worked out and improved the team and the future incrementally. Blaming Yzerman for lousy lottery luck is nonsensical

I mean the FIRST thing that comes t mind is not signing Holl, he's not good, he doesn't make you better, he's a mistake machine and Detroit doesn't have the scoring depth to cover for that.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Growing pains. We had a few years like that with him in Tampa. Just have to be patient. Clearly trending in the right direction. There's a lot to be happy about now more than recent years for Detroit fans. The biggest criticism I had with him is complacency when a team is a legit contender. Brisebois had the balls to do what he never did, but clearly Yzerman can build a solid team. Detroit will get there, just have to be patient.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Chiarot had a pretty good season tbh.

I really don't know what to think of Chiarot. He didn't look nearly as bad as last year, but I dunno if it's because he was better or because Petry and Ghost were just so f***ing bad in their own end that he wasn't as noticeable.

Either way, Chiarot has moved himself down to the low end of the priority list for shitty defense. If I had it my way...

Buyout/trade Holl and Petry. Trade a mid-pick to LAK for early access at Matt Roy before he gets sucked into the UFA bidding war. Roll into 24-25 with pairings along the lines of:

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Roy
Maatta - Chiarot
Johansson

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
People who predicted the Wings would get 70-80 points will now act as if they knew all along they weren't a playoff team when they miss in a 91-point tiebreak situation.
Detroit rode some good fortune for sure.

Their Expected GF% was around 46%. Good for 29th in the league. Not convinced Detroit is as good as their record. They will have to fix 5v5 play if they want a shot at playoffs next season because it seems highly unlikely they finish top 2 in shooting percentage again.

Ask Seattle how finishing top 3 in shooting % worked out for them the next season.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Probably because he didn't want loser mentality developing like it has in certain other organizations that were considered "Ahead of Detroit" in their rebuild.

Thats exactly what happened. They were too good to bottom out completely and had some young pieces around that needed to start playing real meaningful games. Thats exactly what happened this year, the entire season meant something and we got to see Raymond especially step up and become what looks like a future superstar.

People talking about regression might be right next season, who knows. But youre also talking about a year older and experienced for Raymond, Seider, and Edvinsson who are probably 3 of the 4 most important players for the team going forward.

The people worried about guys like Perron getting older and saying the wings have only signed UFAs dont realise this roster still has 3 top 8 picks heading their way, and a couple of top ~15 picks who are playing extremely well heading their way in the next few years. They also have the ridiculous amounts of 2nd and 3rd rounders coming that were acquired over the last few years rebuilding. They'll get a player or two outta there.

The wings are set up pretty well going forward, we'll see what happens in free agency as well

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I hate the Wings as much as every other Blackhawks fan but I don't think there's much room to criticize Yzerman right now.

The Wings just put up a 91pt season. They fell short because of the result in Wsh-Phi but sometimes you gotta do your best and get lucky. Washington did their best and got lucky.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I hate the Wings as much as every other Blackhawks fan but I don't think there's much room to criticize Yzerman right now.

The Wings just put up a 91pt season. They fell short because of the result in Wsh-Phi but sometimes you gotta do your best and get lucky. Washington did their best and got lucky.
The only criticism I have would be 2 more seasons for Holl/Chiarot.

SY does have a lot of work to do this off-season. The following are significant (bolded significant):
RFA: Seider, Raymond, Veleno
UFA: Perron, Kane, Sprong, Ghostibehere, Reese, Fisher, Czarnik, Reimer

It would be interesting to see SY's goes with this off-season. As Seider & Raymond come off their ELC's - big commitments are likely coming there. There is plenty of talent in the pipeline, so it'll be interesting to see how many are on the roster comes October.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad