Jul 8, 2016

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Loved reading the part at the end when he talks about the pockets of guys eating in groups of 5 but by the end it was large group

He's Gallant 2.0- both in terms of what he will accomplish and in how the Oilers will pass on him as well. It's painful to see this org blow chances at improvement year after year.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Nelly has no interest in playing second fiddle. He was offered an assistants position during wrong todds onboarding . He said no at that point and would say no again. Give him the keys to the bus and maybe there is a chance.
I pretty much agree with this but I’d go even further to suggest he wouldn’t come back here at all if Mactavish is still here. I just found it weird that Stauffer would be pumping his tires. He’s usually pro whoever is here now and boosting Nelson in this climate goes against that.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He's in the detroit system and their HC is on the hot seat. He may just move up a league as that was kinda the trajectory and reason for him agreeing to go back to the A with them.

I think this was posted earlier but bears repeating

Sunday Q and A: Todd Nelson and his "jam it down their...
I wonder if he’ll be in the same situation with Detroit that he found himself in here. If Blashil gets fired will Wings fans want their next coach to be another AHL guy instead of somebody with a proven NHL track record? Helps him , I guess, that Holland is sticking around.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
If they bring Nelson on as associate, Perry pearn as assistant, and we get a great defensive coach as another assistant. I would be happy to roll with that, though I still prefer to see Tmac move on.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He's in the detroit system and their HC is on the hot seat. He may just move up a league as that was kinda the trajectory and reason for him agreeing to go back to the A with them.

I think this was posted earlier but bears repeating

Sunday Q and A: Todd Nelson and his "jam it down their...

Lol, that bit at the start where he talks about how if you expect bad things to happen they will. Wish McLellan thought like that. He spent all summer, training camp and pre-season talking about how our players may be buying the hype about themselves, and if they fail, it will be because they thought they were too good. How about just focusing on beating the hell out of everyone we play and just having an us against the world mentality? Nah, better for McLellan to ensure a narrative is built where failure wouldn't be his fault.

Applies at game time too. This team constantly looks like they expect the worst. We are a completely different team with a lead.

Reactions: onetweasy

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If they bring Nelson on as associate, Perry pearn as assistant, and we get a great defensive coach as another assistant. I would be happy to roll with that, though I still prefer to see Tmac move on.

Didn't we burn that bridge? MacT is still in our org. The guy that refused to give Nelson any credit for dragging the psyche of our team out of the pits of hell that Eakins threw them in, and seemed to not be able to wait to get Nelson out of town as quickly as he could. Even went out of his way to be Nelson's awkward training wheels for his first 5 games as an NHL HC.

Can't see Nelson wanting to come here with all the useless baggage we are still carrying around.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
I pretty much agree with this but I’d go even further to suggest he wouldn’t come back here at all if Mactavish is still here. I just found it weird that Stauffer would be pumping his tires. He’s usually pro whoever is here now and boosting Nelson in this climate goes against that.
I've been saying for a while they need to load macT on a plane with a briefcase full of katz cash and his favorite apologizing lipstick to go get nelly back.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Feels more like when you drive with the check engine light on but do nothing because the car still works.

You know most check engine lights since 2006 are just failing some sort of emission standard, right? There is a decent chance in most cases your check engine light wont effect safe operation or long term engine life at all, in some cases you may even see improved fuel economy and more power.

Not that one should ignore emission standards, but if you dont have the expendable income, then its not the worst choice in the world to just leave it. Needlessly getting your Catalytic converter replaced because the voltage in your bank 2 O2 sensor is kinda like trading a young superstar away in a losing trade because of minor partying or percieved attitude problems.

I can't believe we traded Hall. -_-

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
You know most check engine lights since 2006 are just failing some sort of emission standard, right? There is a decent chance in most cases your check engine light wont effect safe operation or long term engine life at all, in some cases you may even see improved fuel economy and more power.

Not that one should ignore emission standards, but if you dont have the expendable income, then its not the worst choice in the world to just leave it. Needlessly getting your Catalytic converter replaced because the voltage in your bank 2 O2 sensor is kinda like trading a young superstar away in a losing trade because of minor partying or percieved attitude problems.

I can't believe we traded Hall. -_-

Like most things, when you get tired of throwing parts time and money into it and still getting the same annoying light pop up you drive it down to the dealership, get something new and let it be someone elses problem.

Taylor wasn't a loose gas cap in edmonton he was a blown transmission. Putting a little piece of tape over that part of the dash wasn't gonna fix the problem.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Like most things, when you get tired of throwing parts time and money into it and still getting the same annoying light pop up you drive it down to the dealership, get something new and let it be someone elses problem.

Taylor wasn't a loose gas cap in edmonton he was a blown transmission. Putting a little piece of tape over that part of the dash wasn't gonna fix the problem.

A blown transmission??

o_O

What kind of car with a blown transmission ever can preform at top 5 in its class (position)??

I'd put Hall's issues here more along the lines of small leak in a vacuum hose somewhere. Annoying, has some effect on performance, hard to fix, but at the end of the day not really a big deal; especially since if we placed the car in the right environment anyway, the problem would likely fix itself.

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
A blown transmission??

o_O

What kind of car with a blown transmission ever can preform at top 5 in its class (position)??

I'd put Hall's issues here more along the lines of small leak in a vacuum hose somewhere. Annoying, has some effect on performance, hard to fix, but at the end of the day not really a big deal; especially since if we placed the car in the right environment anyway, the problem would likely fix itself.

While a bad vac line can cause the whole vehicle to run like crap (an astute metaphor as well even though it wasn't the one you where trying to make) it is far closer to the blown tranny, No reverse (not even sure where the d zone is) , a bad band that slips will get you down the road just fine and might even reach top speed till you put a real load on it, then there is lots of smoke , burnt fluid and little progress.

but do tell me what magical brand of car is capable of fixing itself. The transformers don't count... taking it on a road trip doesn't fix the problem.

regardless, This is a thread about the navigator in the passenger seat being blind and lost. I await our switch to google maps...

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
When Nelson left in 2015 it was said he would rather be a head coach in the AHL than an assistant in the NHL. He wants to run his own bench.
I doubt he believed he would spend the next 3 years in the AHL though. With Detroit not firing their coach, maybe an associate position with us is more appealing today than it was back then.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Still wish we gave him a true shot

He's had 3 more seasons to marinate as a Head Coach. He has enough experience, seemed to do wonders for so many of our skilled guys and a respectable special teams when he was with the big cub IIRC. I would take him over Todd McLellan.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As long as that weasel MacTavish is still part of the organization I doubt Nelson ever comes back. MacTavish also probably still resents him because Nelson proved to be a much, much better coach than Eakins ever was.

If Katz ever wants repectibility he'd get MacT TF out of here. If word gets out that MacT and Lowe are still meddling who would want to come here unless they are getting paid ridiculous coin?

BigFuzzyDice

Jul 8, 2016
If Katz ever wants repectibility he'd get MacT TF out of here. If word gets out that MacT and Lowe are still meddling who would want to come here unless they are getting paid ridiculous coin?

Part of my like for Nelly was the absolute disdain MacT had for him. Watching craig have to eat his words in pressers once neslon had them playing a respectable team game again to the point the media took notice made me believe we had our man. He didn't seem to stick to the obc mandate on how to treat the kids.

So... since the source is buffet bob, If it's a power struggle which side floated the nelson balloon. ChiaBob or the OBC? I'd guess craig's so not on it if this name is being discussed.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I would be excited about next season if Nelson is the new coach. Any scenario that has Tmac running the bench will be another wasted season.

Agreed, great special teams but poor bench management would catch up with us at some point.

Part of my like for Nelly was the absolute disdain MacT had for him. Watching craig have to eat his words in pressers once neslon had them playing a respectable team game again to the point the media took notice made me believe we had our man. He didn't seem to stick to the obc mandate on how to treat the kids.

So... since the source is buffet bob, If it's a power struggle which side floated the nelson balloon. ChiaBob or the OBC? I'd guess craig's so not on it if this name is being discussed.

I was a little down on Nelson after he didn't get more out of our AHL team during the lockout. That said in hindsight Nuge wasn't right because of his shoulder and we lacked depth in many areas. What he did with the big club however gave me some hope. And yeah Craig would not be on hiring Nelson so that works for me since he really liked T Mac IIRC.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
While a bad vac line can cause the whole vehicle to run like crap (an astute metaphor as well even though it wasn't the one you where trying to make) it is far closer to the blown tranny, No reverse (not even sure where the d zone is) , a bad band that slips will get you down the road just fine and might even reach top speed till you put a real load on it, then there is lots of smoke , burnt fluid and little progress.

but do tell me what magical brand of car is capable of fixing itself. The transformers don't count... taking it on a road trip doesn't fix the problem.

regardless, This is a thread about the navigator in the passenger seat being blind and lost. I await our switch to google maps...

I have an RX7 with a vac leak that only exists when it's 10°C or higher outside, ha ha.

The problem doesn't go away i guess, just the shrinkage of a tube somewhere seals the leak. If I was less lazy I'd go find it but it feels like searching for a needle in a haystack. Ha ha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad