When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think Tmac will be fired when Chiarelli gets fired. Then katz want more old boys and he hires Jari Kurri to the gm place and he brings his Finnish coaches like Jukka Jalonen to coach Edmonton. But i bet it still better solution than current situation.

Yes because, before Chia got us to the playoffs, the OBC did an admirable job getting us to the promise land. What a better solution

Reactions: ResilientBeast

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I am a Caps fan as well (second to the Oilers), and I DO NOT WANT TROTZ. He has pretty much every single one of McLellan's issues.

hahah you may just be sick of him like we are sick of Todd. Usually around the time a coach has overstayed his welcome the fans start hating him

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
hahah you may just be sick of him like we are sick of Todd. Usually around the time a coach has overstayed his welcome the fans start hating him

Disagree. I think he's better than McLellan, but he has the same issues. Overusage of vets and bottom six/bottom pair players, unwillingness to trust good young players, line juggling, etc.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I still would love to see Todd Nelson come back. I feel like after Chiarelli moved on from him in favor of McLellan it's unrealistic but he really did a great job here. He would do wonders with our PP. I think he has the qualities to be a great head coach. He's not a stubborn guy, players love him.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
So Wild allegedly firing Fletcher and probably replacing him with Fenton. That in turn, puts Boudreau potentially of being let go since GM's love to bring their own.

Edit: not firing rather hes not renewed

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I would love a coach like Torts. Someone that doesn't take crap from anyone, speaks his mind and isn't scared of a fine. TM is way to timid and it cost us wins the past 3 seasons.

Reactions: dawunderboy

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Having Yawney and GG as the assistants wouldn't be bad at all.

If we HAVE to keep McLellan, I like this as well. You go from McLellan and his BFF's that would never be able to take another step in the NHL, just buddies that all are comfy in their spots all agreeing with each other all the time. From that, you go to 3 guys, that all have HC potential working together.

McLellan's pride should kick in and he can't just rest on his laurels and chew bubble gum while pulling stuff out of his bag of tricks from 2007 anymore, and the 2 guys under him are all trying to be the best they can be to hit another level, and actually shown some ability to evolve in todays game (Yawney especially intrigues me because of how the Ducks have turned into a Dman factory in the last half decade). Much healthier situation in IMO in the most competitive hockey league on earth, and much more conducive to success.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If we HAVE to keep McLellan, I like this as well. You go from McLellan and his BFF's that would never be able to take another step in the NHL, just buddies that all are comfy in their spots all agreeing with each other all the time. From that, you go to 3 guys, that all have HC potential working together.

McLellan's pride should kick in and he can't just rest on his laurels and chew bubble gum anymore, and the 2 guys under him are all trying to be the best they can be to hit another level, and actually shown some ability to evolve in todays game (Yawney especially intrigues me because of how the Ducks have turned into a Dman factory in the last half decade). Must healthier situation in IMO in the most competitive hockey league on earth, and much more conducive to success.

And the ducks PK was flat out excellent under Yawney. If this is why the Oilers have been quiet in moves regarding of the coaching staff so far, I will have no issues IF they do hire Yawney.

Reactions: oobga

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Stauffer onOilers Now today saying something about the Oilers waiting for an AHL team to finish as they are looking at someone down in the AHL to join the staff, likely as assistant. Who might this be? Who is still coaching? Rocky Thompson? Todd Nelson? Other?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Stauffer onOilers Now today saying something about the Oilers waiting for an AHL team to finish as they are looking at someone down in the AHL to join the staff, likely as assistant. Who might this be? Who is still coaching? Rocky Thompson? Todd Nelson? Other?

Money's on either Thompson or Nelson.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

I would be ecstatic if it is Nelson but it won’t be, he has stated numerous times he wants to be a head coach only. Till he gets the chance to be that in the NHL, he will probably stay in the AHL as a head coach.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

As much as I'd like to see Nelson back I'm not sure it happens. Didn't he have the opportunity to stay with the Oilers as an assistant when Koala started, but turned it down because he preferred to be the head guy in the AHL?

Why does Nelson come back as an assistant now?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Because he is still in the AHL nowhere closer to the NHL. I don't know, but it would be nice. Then you bring back the best fwd in the KHL Gagarin Cup right away!

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
As much as I'd like to see Nelson back I'm not sure it happens. Didn't he have the opportunity to stay with the Oilers as an assistant when Koala started, but turned it down because he preferred to be the head guy in the AHL?

Why does Nelson come back as an assistant now?
Possibly because he didn't envision being in the AHL so long. He continues to get past over despite success. Maybe he has a change of heart.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Maybe Nelson will figure that if he takes an assistant coaching position in the NHL, this may make him more visible to GMs across the league, and if he's able to have success with the Oilers, it could mean a faster transition to a head coaching position somewhere. Seems like he's tried option A (head coach in AHL) with little success moving up.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Benoit Groulx and Sheldon Keefe are strong options as associate coaches and could be potential head coach material.

Scott Gordon and Tim Army have a lot of coaching experience, could see them as options to replace Herbers and as someone pointed out don't discount Laxdall just cause of his past Oil Kings connections. Lot of other people I could see being considered, but that's a reasonable short list in addition to some of the other obvious names pointed out.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Possibly because he didn't envision being in the AHL so long. He continues to get past over despite success. Maybe he has a change of heart.

Makes sense. Nelson won the Calder cup last year. Not a sniff of an NHL job since.

I think he did very well for himself here. It would be great to have him on staff. tbh, while I'm not 100% on the fire Koala train, I'd be on board with doing it for Nelson.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
31 Thoughts: How different will Maple Leafs look in 2018–19? - Sportsnet.ca

19. Depending on what the Oilers want to do, Glen Gulutzan and Trent Yawney make sense for their bench. Gulutzan probably wants to see what’s out there as head coach first. But both know Todd McLellan. The latter assisted McLellan in San Jose for three seasons. This is longer than I thought Edmonton would take, but word is Peter Chiarelli wants McLellan to return.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
While I wish McLellan were fired, I will admit that Yawney intrigues me.

He's experienced but still young and has been the coach on a few teams that have developed good D men (Chi, SJ, Anh). If he comes on, hopefully he's learned from his early mistakes in Chicago.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think Nelson has a better chance of being a head coach if he takes an assistant coaching job in the AHL. It seems more NHL coaches transition from NHL assistant to NHL coach then from AHL coach to NHL coach. He'll also get paid more, better travel, lifestyle etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad