OT: When do you trade PLD (MOD WARNING to non-CBJ fans post 745)

When do you trade PLD

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
When the best offer comes along.

On an unrelated note I’m really tired of not being able to have nice things.
I would like to know what's going on that this keeps happening. I'm unaware of so many players wanting out of similar small market teams.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
LeBrun: Patrik Laine, Pierre-Luc Dubois trade requests will put GMs to test
LeBrun: Patrik Laine, Pierre-Luc Dubois situations will put GMs to test

Team exec No. 3:
On Dubois: “Columbus will play him this year, see how it goes, is my guess. The agent will keep the heat up and by the draft they will have to move him. When you look at the Jackets roster, there’s lots of free agents coming over the next two years, they’ve got to re-stock. They unloaded a lot of picks for those guys who all flew the coop. His cupboard is fairly bare and his team is getting old, believe it or not. So if I’m Jarmo, I’m looking for picks and prospects, probably not what some of the older players there want to hear. I don’t know that he has any other choice. … I will buy you a steak dinner if Jarmo trades him anywhere in the East. I would be shocked if he trades him in the East. I think that cuts the numbers of teams in half. But there’s still some teams which will have what I think he’ll be looking for. You know, Anaheim, L.A., Chicago, they’ve got lots of picks and prospects if that’s the way he wants to go.’’

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
From Lebrun

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-4_11-45-16.jpeg
    upload_2021-1-4_11-45-16.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 20

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Two trades:

1.Florida get:

-PLD 5M

CBJ get:

-Barkov 5.9M

2. Winnipeg get:

- Seth Jones 5,4M
- Boone Jenner 3,75M
- 2nd

CBJ get:

- Laine 6,75M
- Pionk 3M

Barkov/Laine is a deadly duo and best pals IRL. They actually train together all summers and hang out. I`d bet they want to play together too and CBJ wouldnt have to think about a player leaving. Pionk takes over Jones spot. Voila - Team fixed! :D

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Sooner rather than later. His trade value may be higher now than it ever will be. Him playing well for a year would still be 1 less year that a team would be paying the CBJ for his services.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's a very minor consideration in my book. I think GMs must hate to trade within division partly to spare themselves potential embarrassment if the player succeeds. Like seeing a hot ex. That or they just stink at math. You don't play any one team enough for that one player to add up to extra losses. And seeing the way Jarmo fleeces teams maybe we should prefer he trades within division? :D
That's fair, but imagine trading him somewhere in the east and then having to face them year after year in the playoffs. I could see that happening with our luck. Trade him somewhere and we can never advance past said team having to face Dubois year after year

But in all seriousness, I hope Torts opens up the offense, Dubois and others can have a big season and maybe he changes his mind.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
You think it's bad now, wait until the NCAA Name, Image, and Likeness rule sets in and you've got 10 Ohio State football and basketball players getting most of the commercial opportunities.

Reactions: Cowumbus

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
That's fair, but imagine trading him somewhere in the east and then having to face them year after year in the playoffs. I could see that happening with our luck. Trade him somewhere and we can never advance past said team having to face Dubois year after year

But in all seriousness, I hope Torts opens up the offense, Dubois and others can have a big season and maybe he changes his mind.
We don’t have the personnel to open up the offense unless of course you’re okay with us being at the bottom of the division.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You think it's bad now, wait until the NCAA Name, Image, and Likeness rule sets in and you've got 10 Ohio State football and basketball players getting most of the commercial opportunities.

How Is this a bad thing or pertain to PLD

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
If it’s true he wants a bigger stage, trade him ASAP. It’s clear Panarin rubbed off on him and we don’t need him putting those thoughts into the young guys’ heads.
But... we have control so he doesn’t just get to choose his stage. Send him to Ottawa or Arizona or Winnipeg.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We don’t have the personnel to open up the offense unless of course you’re okay with us being at the bottom of the division.
We do though. PLD, Cam, Bemstrom, Texier, Domi, Bjorkstrand, Foudy, Werenski, Jones. They all shouldn't have a problem with opening up the offense and playing safe. They have the wheels and hands to play that style of offense, hell I'm sure there's some guys I didn't list that wouldn't mind it either, might kick start a guy like Jenner as well

Reactions: majormajor

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If it’s true he wants a bigger stage, trade him ASAP. It’s clear Panarin rubbed off on him and we don’t need him putting those thoughts into the young guys’ heads.
But... we have control so he doesn’t just get to choose his stage. Send him to Ottawa or Arizona or Winnipeg.
Send him wherever you get the best deal. Period. We can't afford to f*** this trade up.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Voted for when the right offer comes ...

though what is considered “right” could change based on a variety of factors.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
"The youngest team in the league is getting older" is not a take I was expecting

It's also pretty untrue. Look up projected average age of starting lineups and we're still among the five youngest teams in the league. Koivu is skewing us older!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In most major markets, professional athletes are used to promote various products so that bolsters their income and name recognition. In Columbus, the CBJ players will play second fiddle to the Buckeyes.

I think that can be easily exaggerated. Outside of Crosby, Ovechkin, Subban, McDavid, and a few Leafs players, no one has endorsement income in the millions. Panarin doesn't make anything, Erik Karlsson doesn't make anything. Most star players in major markets have very low name recognition. Hockey isn't the biggest sport in any city in the United States. It's only in Canada that a few players make big money on endorsements. Montreal isn't even a particularly rich place for that. If Dubois went there he would have a hard time eclipsing Carey Price, who makes closer to $500k in endorsements. Your name will be in every tabloid but you won't get paid much extra for it. It's not about the money.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In most major markets, professional athletes are used to promote various products so that bolsters their income and name recognition. In Columbus, the CBJ players will play second fiddle to the Buckeyes.
That happens when you have a literal hundred-year head start. Get over it already.

Reactions: thebus88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad