OT: When do you trade PLD (MOD WARNING to non-CBJ fans post 745)

When do you trade PLD

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Easily whenever you get the right offer.

He clearly wants out. I don’t think it’s anything that’s unfixable or anything that’s going to be hostile (like Bob’s). But he would rather play elsewhere. He has no leverage for two years so we have time. He seems like he’s saying the right things and going to be a good soldier, which is good. Will this stay this way after torts blows up on him the first time? Well see.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If they decide to do it then do it when the smoke clears in the offseason. Just don't let it drag to the end of the contact.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I hope he actually means it when he says he'll try and will be a good teammate. I was on vacation in Japan when Jeff Carter was with Columbus so I never saw him play. Hopefully he doesn't act like Carter until he gets traded. If he plays poorly, value will decrease so then I would tell Dubois, too bad, not trading you until your game picks up.

As for the poll, probably either immediately if you can get someone like Laine or Barzal. If it's only a futures package, wait it out, whether if it's until the season is underway or next off season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We keep winning these trades, and that's what's kept the team competitive. That cannot stop, no matter how grumpy some of us may feel about yet another seemingly disgruntled player. "Right offer" is the only acceptable answer IMO.

Reactions: cslebn

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Whenever you get the right offer is correct, sending him off for some underpayment just because of his comments would be foolish

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the time for all in would be this year. We have the cap space. We have a wide open division. We have draft picks again. And we have young players. It’ll be easier to make trades because teams are going to try to unload money. This is it.

100% agree. I want to see some deadline moves this year, if the team is competitive.

If you do it this year you either
-make enough of a splash, going deep, looking good, that more of our upcoming FAs decide to stay for the winning.
Or, you
- don't win enough, don't make a good enough impression. But oh well, the team has time to sell off some primo assets and get great value.

If you do it the following year you're in a genuine all-in situation and it is probably too late to keep the band together even if the team succeeds, and too late to get great value via trade if it fails.

As for the poll, probably either immediately if you can get someone like Laine or Barzal. If it's only a futures package, wait it out, whether if it's until the season is underway or next off season.

Am I the only one on this planet that watches Jets and Islanders games? One of these things is not like the other. One helps the Jackets replace PLD, the other is an overrated player and a disaster waiting to happen in the locker room. Like you think PLD is a distraction now? That's been Laine every day, even before he asked for a change of scenery.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Where will PLD’s trade value be in a year? If he gets hurt? If he performs poorly? I don’t like that uncertainty.

Trade him now if you can.

Barzal > PLD >> Laine

Unless the injury is something serious like a back injury or head injury, his value will be the same. He’s at no greater risk than anyone else. Hold out until the best offer comes and hope you can change his mind.

If you can get Barzal then fine but I don’t think that’s happening.

Reactions: majormajor

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Unless the injury is something serious like a back injury or head injury, his value will be the same. He’s at no greater risk than anyone else. Hold out until the best offer comes and hope you can change his mind.

If you can get Barzal then fine but I don’t think that’s happening.
The best offer might be something right now though. Food for thought.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Where will PLD’s trade value be in a year? If he gets hurt? If he performs poorly? I don’t like that uncertainty.

Trade him now if you can.

Barzal > PLD >> Laine

Considering that PLD was much better and noticeably faster in August than we had ever seen him before, I'd bet on his value increasing over the course of this season.

Reactions: cslebn

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
During a pandemic year with almost everyone having no cap? I’m going to doubt that.

Again, it will be based on how he performs this year. Jenner had a lot of value in 2015/16.

Considering that PLD was much better and noticeably faster in August than we had ever seen him before, I'd bet on his value increasing over the course of this season.

I hope so. Time will tell. He has not shown it for more than 10 games, that is a very small sample size.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The only obvious way you trade Dubois now is if you can take advantage of the Islanders and their situation. Other than that there isnt much reason to really think about it at the moment

Reactions: majormajor and Fro

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Don’t worry. It’s going to be even worse over the next two years. Might as well get used to the pain because it’s coming hot and heavy in all likelihood.
Pessimistic CBJ hypothetical where Jones leaves

Option 1

Trade Jones for a futures package when he does not want to extend his deal. Then have those picks turn into players who want to leave once they come off their ELCs. Prolonging the middling standing finishes.

Option 2

Hang on to Jones and lose him for nothing, setting the franchise back another 3-5 years.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Pessimistic CBJ hypothetical where Jones leaves

Option 1

Trade Jones for a futures package when he does not want to extend his deal. Then have those picks turn into players who want to leave once they come off their ELCs. Prolonging the middling standing finishes.

Option 2

Hang on to Jones and lose him for nothing, setting the franchise back another 3-5 years.

Just a reminder that the period to start re-signing all of these expiring contracts including Seth Jones starts in roughly 6 months. This coming season is going to be very important to the future of the franchise and being competitive. If this season goes poorly for any reason we could start seeing an early exodus for expiring contracts if they indicate they want to move on versus letting them go for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad