When do you realistically see the Wings challenging for a cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
unless Kh changes his approach to team building its going to be over a decade at the MINIMUM

some might say thats crazy but its been 8 years since we last won(not saying thats long) but it has gone by pretty fast

unless we change things up a bit dont count on any success anytime soon

we need to rid ourselves of overpaid players vs what they bring, ericsson and howard

we need to invest properly during free agency, ie not richards, quinceys, whites, bertuzzis

we need to make an impactful trade or two

we need to shed prospects and players we dont consider part of our success plan for more picks to increase odds(look it up, the more picks a team has generally the better they become and not just lottery picks)

we need to be willing to trade UP in the draft

we need to be willing to hand responsibility over to younger players

I don't think one can accurately predict how long a rebuild is going to take if you expect it to take more than 3-4 years.

I personally think it will take at least five years, but you are right, it definitely could stretch out to ten years.

Ideally you see the Wings draft in the lottery for roughly three years and during those three years, they draft the right mix to create the new core. Followed by a couple years of barely missing the playoffs or barely making the playoffs, which would put the finishing touches on the rebuild.

Of course that's the ideal scenario.

It's also very possible that the Wings suck during a 3-5 year time span where the lottery is full of really good, but not franchise/generational talent and the Wings continue to go nowhere.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
I think we needed a new voice anyway. No matter who it was

Except they literally got the exact same voice!

I had hope that Blashill was going to bring a fresh approach, transitioning from the old regime and players to the new. I'm less hopeful now than I was at the beginning of the season. It'd be one thing if Z, D and K could still handle the load. It seems obvious to everyone but Blashill and Holland that they can't. Add to that Richards and Helm on the top line, Glendenning The Andersson in for Mantha thing was probably the straw that broke the camel's back for me. If we had this exact same season while playing all the young guys, I'd be okay with it.

I love Pav and hate to see him go and take the cap hit, but I almost feel like they need to not have their "go to guys" to go to. We need to sink or swim with the next generation and if they can't be successful, time to move on.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I don't think one can accurately predict how long a rebuild is going to take if you expect it to take more than 3-4 years.

I personally think it will take at least five years, but you are right, it definitely could stretch out to ten years.

Ideally you see the Wings draft in the lottery for roughly three years and during those three years, they draft the right mix to create the new core. Followed by a couple years of barely missing the playoffs or barely making the playoffs, which would put the finishing touches on the rebuild.

Of course that's the ideal scenario.

It's also very possible that the Wings suck during a 3-5 year time span where the lottery is full of really good, but not franchise/generational talent and the Wings continue to go nowhere.

to be honest its not that hard to predict

look at the good teams today and figure out how many are likely to be still be good over the next 4 years(dallas, washington, tampa, anaheim, LA, st louis, pittsburgh, chicago, nashville, etc)

then look at the non playoff teams but that are likely to be good in the next 2-3 years and then stay good for 3-5 after that(buffalo, calgary, edmonton**)

then throw in the teams you're not sure about but look good(florida, philly)

Almost of those teams have both a better core ALL and a better young core then the DRW

that is a lot of competition

we can be right back there with them IF we make the right good moves

if we dont and continue to draft 10-20 and supplement with aging vets via free agency and remain loyal to a fault then its going to be at least a decade before we see detroit competing for a cup again

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
It's impossible to say because you don't know what could happen in the next 3-4 drafts. But I don't really see much of a chance to do anything within the next 5 years. Whether that turns into 10-15-20+ years depends on management. The Wings didn't win a Cup between 1955 and 1997 so it's not like the Wings are magically immune to it.

We've also seen long stretches of futility in modern times with Buffalo and Vancouver still waiting 46 years into their history, Washington still waiting after 42 years, St.Louis still waiting almost 50 years in. Of course all of those teams have had good stretches too in that time with a number of Finals appearances between them but so far it's not been enough to actually win the Cup. Aside from those snakebitten franchises we've also seen former dynasties fall off for indefinite time periods. The golden boy franchise of the NHL, the Habs, haven't won a Cup in over 20 years, the Leafs who at one point were the 2nd most successful team are now waiting almost 50 years, the Oilers have been a trainwreck since about 1991, the Isles have been a disappointment for just as long.

Point is there is absolutely no certainty that any of us will see the Wings win another Cup in our lifetimes.

unless Kh changes his approach to team building its going to be over a decade at the MINIMUM

some might say thats crazy but its been 8 years since we last won(not saying thats long) but it has gone by pretty fast

unless we change things up a bit dont count on any success anytime soon

we need to rid ourselves of overpaid players vs what they bring, ericsson and howard

we need to invest properly during free agency, ie not richards, quinceys, whites, bertuzzis

we need to make an impactful trade or two

we need to shed prospects and players we dont consider part of our success plan for more picks to increase odds(look it up, the more picks a team has generally the better they become and not just lottery picks)

we need to be willing to trade UP in the draft

we need to be willing to hand responsibility over to younger players

Bumped this thread because there is some good discussion (like Bench bemoaning the Cubs never winning a championship :laugh:) and almost nothing has happened to change the outlook in 8 months. If anything we've sunk deeper.

Most seemed to feel 5-10 years is a realistic forecast. With the organization dragging their feet in denial I think we're delaying the inevitable and setting us back possibly another 3 years. Wings are following an "organic" method (if you could it a method) so no telling how long until the Wings even make a conference final.

I'm grappling recently with the possibility that as TMYK stated, there's no guarantee it will be in our lifetime. :(

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Once we get a young 1D and a 1C to build around, I'll give us 5 years from their rookie seasons

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Once we get a young 1D and a 1C to build around, I'll give us 5 years from their rookie seasons

Honestly I think it'll be even quicker than that when we get them. Maybe three years, but I'm not hopeful we'll be getting a 1C and a 1D any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad