When do you realistically see the Wings challenging for a cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Until we get a top 2dman it's pretty much out of question. We could still make the ecf if we get the right matchups in the near future if players keep progressing

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think if the stars align and the right moves are made, they can contend next year.

More likely it's around 3.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Torn between the last two options but I went with the last one.

Right now we only have 2 players that might be core pieces for the future in Larkin and Mrazek and both of them have question marks. Even if they do pan out to be elite #1C and #1G respectively I don't have faith in Holland being able to fill in the blanks and build the team around them. Add to that we're still missing that potential #1D and yeah it's gonna take a change in direction and quite some time before I see this team contending.

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
I voted for "not in the forseeable future", but I think we also need a change in management.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think with a change in management it would be 2-3 years if it was done well. The reality is there will be no change in management and our team will suffer as an almost playoff team/first round exit for at least 5 years.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
5+ years but when you need that long to rebuild that number doesn't really mean much. Five years can easily turn into ten years, fifteen years, etc, etc...

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Torn between the last two options but I went with the last one.

Right now we only have 2 players that might be core pieces for the future in Larkin and Mrazek and both of them have question marks. Even if they do pan out to be elite #1C and #1G respectively I don't have faith in Holland being able to fill in the blanks and build the team around them. Add to that we're still missing that potential #1D and yeah it's gonna take a change in direction and quite some time before I see this team contending.

I voted for "not in the forseeable future", but I think we also need a change in management.

I considered making it possible to vote for multiple choices. Maybe should have.

I would vote for either of the bottom two as well.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
We are in the playoffs. We literally lost by a goal last night in a game it could be argued we outplayed them for about 40 minutes.

Can we give the "holy crap, we suck" and the world is ending a break for about a week?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
5-7 years and not a minute before. Not counting this year cause we are paying for zidlicky this year pick wise. But we need 2-3 lottery years of full draft picks in the top 4 rounds to find the last piece of the core (Larkin,Mrazek,...). And we need to devote say 5-6 of those rounds drafting d-men.

This team is woefully irrelevant now. They get by they don't compete. But mainly its because the talent that has been lost is impossible to replace when you normally draft in the last 8 of each draft like we did for so long.

If we can find 2-3 d-men and train them up over 3-4 years, plus a top 6 center we will be looking for a window opening up in Larkin's and Mrazek's primes.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
If they make the right moves, they can be legit contenders next year.

First they got to get rid of Howard's cap hit. Then we have to make a move for a top pairing defenseman. A power forward would also be nice.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
The Red Wings problem no longer is the depth. They have roster depth now, or at least guys that would play real well in the middle-bottom 6. They really need top end players now to fill out the holes that have been left by an aging core (looking at the captains, currently). This is a tough fix, and it's even tougher when you are competing for the playoffs every year. I've said it a million times - Holland needs to get creative and pull off a big trade eventually, or wait a long while for the team to get competitive again. Larkin needs to center a line, and they likely need to bring in a top line center.

That's the weirdest thing about Detroit's "Compete every year" philosophy. If you're competing every year, you probably should be more aggressive on the trade market. There's nothing worse than a middling team that is really doing almost nothing one way or another. Signing Green helps, but that can't be the only thing you do to boost the defense. I said that when it happened. Hopefully Holland can figure it out a bit more in the near future. He really needs to, or it really is going to be a rebuild.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
We are in the playoffs. We literally lost by a goal last night in a game it could be argued we outplayed them for about 40 minutes.

Can we give the "holy crap, we suck" and the world is ending a break for about a week?

So to clarify since you didn't vote, you think the Wings are a realistic cup contender right now?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I have a separate but related question.

If we continue to make the playoffs for another 5 years and finally win another Cup before ending the streak, will that be looked back on as part of the same 30-year dynasty? Or two completely separate eras that just happened to not have any playoff misses in between?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

Yeah remember how good Edmonton was the following year after their trip to the Finals in 06?

People keep saying the circumstances are vastly different since Wings management is so good, but good organizations don't hand out charity contracts to washed up vets, good organizations don't have multiple bad contracts on the books that go on till the end of time, and good organizations aren't relying on 35+ players to carry the team.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

They outplayed a team that looked like they didn't care for the first 40 minutes and still lost. A team without two of their star players. If that isn't troubling I don't know what is.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
They outplayed a team that looked like they didn't care for the first 40 minutes and still lost. A team without two of their star players. If that isn't troubling I don't know what is.

Yea and this one time Chicago lost to Columbus.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
However long it takes to get a formidable defense.

Don't see the answer with the current group of prospects or players, so it will probably be awhile.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hard to answer until I know what direction they are taking this off-season. Are Helm and Quincey back? Is Datsyuk really gone? Howard sticking around? Brad Richards? Who, if any, free agents?

Tons of balls in the air. We'll know way way more before the next season starts.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Hard to answer until I know what direction they are taking this off-season. Are Helm and Quincey back? Is Datsyuk really gone? Howard sticking around? Brad Richards? Who, if any, free agents?

Tons of balls in the air. We'll know way way more before the next season starts.

I'm going under the impression that

• Helm and Quincey will be back
  • Datsyuk will retire
  • Howard will be back
  • Brad Richards will be back

I feel this team is going nowhere as long as Holland is making the decisions. So if he's the GM for the next 10 years, we won't won a cup for at least 15 years.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We are a team without our two star players. I mean there are some dudes wearing their #13 and #40 jerseys, but it ain't them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad