WHC 2015 - Prague/Ostrava

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
So to finish the tournament:

Giroux: 10GP, 3G, 7A, 10P, +11. (Canada's de facto 1C, Canada's best Forward, Best player in Final, 2nd amongst all tournament forwards in +/-.)

Couturier: 10GP 3G, 4A, 7P, +13. (Led all tournament forwards in +/-.)

Voracek: 10GP, 3G, 7A, 10P, +0.

Raffl: 7GP, 1G, 2A, 3P, -2. (led Austria in points, Forward TOI and +/-.)

Schenn: 2GP, 1G, 0A, 1P, +4.

Streit: 8GP, 0G, 2A, 2P, -5.

Lauridsen: 7GP, 0G, 1A, 1P, -5.

I believe it has also been said yesterday that Couturier has finished the whole tournament without having any goal against scored at 5 on 5, if it stayed like this its even more impressive

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
i believe it has also been said yesterday that couturier has finished the whole tournament without having any goal against scored at 5 on 5, if it stayed like this its even more impressive

He also lead the team in plus/minus...

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
Actually he didn't end with the best +/- on the team. Jake Muzzin was a +14.

Also impressive was that G was going against the other team's #1 line and was a +11 with only one even strength goal against.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe there's a schism between NHL Russians and KHL Russians. KHLers "love their country more" or something.

There always was, in some fashion. Before the Vancouver Olympics there was that schism between the Malkin people and the Ovechkin people and Kovalchuk was supposedly the conduit between the two keeping them together. Looks like Malkin is one of the ones who stayed out there with Ovechkin. How times change! :laugh:

Looks like the other guys standing there with Ovechkin and Malkin are Dadonov, Tihkonov, and Kulikov.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Russian program just seems to be a total gongshow. Like how they tried to tie the whole Ukraine/West mess into things right before their team lost to the US. Why even do that?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Russian program just seems to be a total gongshow. Like how they tried to tie the whole Ukraine/West mess into things right before their team lost to the US. Why even do that?

On the ice they really need to overhaul their development for defensemen. They are so far behind Canada, USA, & Sweden in that regard.

I think a problem is that they pigeon hole their players at a young age into a certain role. I know Zadorov left to come over Canada because he was unhappy with the way he was being developed. He felt they weren't giving him enough of chance to be an offensive player.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
On the ice they really need to overhaul their development for defensemen. They are so far behind Canada, USA, & Sweden in that regard.

I think a problem is that they pigeon hole their players at a young age into a certain role. I know Zadorov left to come over Canada because he was unhappy with the way he was being developed. He felt they weren't giving him enough of chance to be an offensive player.

Yes, the lack of D talent coming from Russia is pretty strange. They have plenty of offensive talent. they have plenty of guys who can play hockey.

I would theorize that their youth development isn't as structured and system-oriented as NA development. We can see the results in the number of highly creative skilled forwards who seem confused on defense. While such development seems to have benefits for flashy offense, I can't imagine it being a good way to produce reliable defensemen unless they're pure naturals.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, the lack of D talent coming from Russia is pretty strange. They have plenty of offensive talent. they have plenty of guys who can play hockey.

I would theorize that their youth development isn't as structured and system-oriented as NA development. We can see the results in the number of highly creative skilled forwards who seem confused on defense. While such development seems to have benefits for flashy offense, I can't imagine it being a good way to produce reliable defensemen unless they're pure naturals.

It's pretty bad. They don't really have quality or quantity. The countries I mentioned that are well ahead of them have secondary options that are better than Russia's first options.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'll just put the picture back up.

canada-v-russia-2015-iihf-ice-hockey-world-championship-gold-medal-game.jpg

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Coots could score a 100 pts in prague. It doesn't matter. That has no impact at the nhl. We have already seen him go through huge point droughts during his career. He had what two defelction goals and 1 rebound goal? Is that really enough for us to annoint him as a scorer at the nhl level?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What Couturier showed at the world champs is how dangerous he can be offensively using his body down low and getting to the net. He doesn't need to score 25 goals to be good offensively when he can protect the puck and make passes to open teammates like that Ekblad goal.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
What Couturier showed at the world champs is how dangerous he can be offensively using his body down low and getting to the net. He doesn't need to score 25 goals to be good offensively when he can protect the puck and make passes to open teammates like that Ekblad goal.

Where was that during that 40 game stretch where he had 10 points? Btw find me another center in the league who got as much even strength ice time as him and had a similar stretch.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Couts scoring at the WC is a good sign because it showed he could keep up with an allstar team and be relied on as one of their most important players. He was his usual awesome defensive self, but he was also part of a dangerous line that routinely kept their opponent pinned in their zone, even against the better teams.

This is more of a good sign of him moving in a positive direction than a prediction of his play next year. We're not expecting .7 ppg play, but he's improving, which is what's important.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
A bounce-back year by Read will also improve Courturier's production. How many points did he lose last year because Read just couldn't finish high-quality chances at his normal clip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad