Whats your shootout/breakaway move?

Rebels21

Jul 6, 2011
Garrison, New York
just so everyone understands the dekes better im right handed but these are my main moves but im always trying new stuff

1. Ill go in and shoot low glove after pulling the puck into my body a lot
2. Skate in with the puck on my backhand, fake forehand and shoot backhand( Giroux did it)
3. Toedrag across my body at the hashes, fake backhand go forehand and shelf it
4. Ill skate it on the right side cut across and throw it through my legs and spin around and hit it in ( a top prospect did it recently in the CHL Skills. Thats my fanciest one)

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I've always had good hands, but I never know what I'm doing before I actually do it. I just seem to put the puck in the net.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
I feel like this could be filed under the weird tendencies thread as this is my go-to breakaway move when I don't have anything else planned:

1. I enter the zone with plenty of speed
2. As I get between the blue line and the top of the circle, I start moving toward my forehand (left) side while stickhandling
3. When I am down around the hash marks, I start to move my body across the crease to the right and fake a deke to my backhand
4. Goalies will generally A.)either follow me across the crease or B.)try to pokecheck. Either way, when they make their move I just flick the puck off the toe of my blade top-shelf on the left side

A very simple move that does not require great hands. I would say it works about 75-80% of the time for me. Not as successful on less aggressive goalies.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I do the Forsberg deke a lot. The goalies I play against regularly are shorter guys and aren't too good down low, so it seems to work better than trying a deke or a straight shot.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I have one solid move:

I'm a lefty:
Take the puck in wide with about average speed. Once I get a stride or two past the hashmark I pull the puck back as if I'm shooting, then I open my blade and do a half-ass forehand deke, after that I go straight to my hard backhand deke, then I just pull it back to the forehand and usually have a wide open net. If the goalie stayed with it, or has his stick in the center of the ice I slide it through the 5-hole.

Taking the puck wide also allows me to take the shot if the goalie stays deep in his net (or is giving me too much net on either side).

A really solid move imo. Its very effective for me.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Good point on going wide, that's what I do as a lefty, attack the left side of the net. In my league there's still the occasional goalie who's fairly new and doesn't know to come out and challenge the shooter so it's real easy to skate at them, back them into the net, and then just pop the puck in.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England

Pretty much this but my backhand isn't strong enough to go top shelf, normally just about get it high enough to clear the leg pads!

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
In a peewee tournament there was a tournament wide shootout and I finished 2nd. I had the most basic strategy possible and it has always worked for me ever since. Simply take the puck wide hit the hash marks, wait for the goalie to commit and finish him far side. *See Attached

I also spent many practices perfecting the Malik that people know and love and at provincials in Midget I dropped to my knees on a penalty shot, stick handled, then I picked the corner from my knees. The goalie was so pissed :laugh: I wish everyone had camera phones in those days...

Danglous

Dec 5, 2007
Philly
1. Lift leg/fake shot, drop shoulder and fake bankhand, back to forehand and bury it. If I get the timing right the goalie usually flops to the wrong side of the net.

2. Skate in hard on the left side (backhand), cut across to forehand and right back to backhand with one hand on the stick and slide it past the goalie backdoor (AKA Forsberg)

3. Shoot

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm a right hander -

I start by coming down the right side. I fake forehand, fake backhand, and go between my legs top right shelf.

If a goalie has seen it, I fake it off my right strong side skate and go back short side.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I almost always go five-hole, it seems that goalies in my league never expect it or can be made to give it up easily with a small, slick move. If they give me a huge opening elsewhere, I'll take that instead.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
I skate fast directly at the goalie and take a hard slapshot from the slot to blocker side. the goalie can't react in time so it's either a goal or not...

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I skate fast directly at the goalie and take a hard slapshot from the slot to blocker side. the goalie can't react in time so it's either a goal or not...

Isn't it either a goal or not in all shootout cases?

In this case, why isn't the goaltender telescoping out to take the angle away?

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
Isn't it either a goal or not in all shootout cases?

In this case, why isn't the goaltender telescoping out to take the angle away?

Well yes :P. I was typing on a phone, I meant that the goal tender doesn't have enough time to react.

Good question, I suppose that is because I only get to do shoot outs in practice and the goalie is lazy?

I also shoot low 5 hole a lot but that isn't my favorite :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad