Whats your shootout/breakaway move?

Lososaurus

Oct 28, 2008
California
Roll in, deke right, pull the puck left like I'm going for a backhand, as the goalie slides over, pull the puck back & stop it and roof it on the right side.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Ya...its an old school move...(you shoot left, yes?). Like I said...it used to be a favorite of mine...nowadays though...I find that the transition from my forehand to my backhand either A) Takes too long and the goalie gets across...leaving me with NOTHING...or...B) The puck will all too often roll up on me or skip as I pull it across and PLUS...there is always the threat of a poke check anytime you take the puck scross the front of your body.

I guess its still a good move to use...but there are too many things that can go wrong IMO.

EDIT: LOL...now Im in your head and your NEVER going to score with it anymore!

Yup shoot left.

Haha, well when going through players on the ice my best deke is quickly going from forehand to backhand around a player, very effective since I can time when they go for a poke check or step up a bit.... problem is the other team figures out my pretty much one deke by the 2nd period, not the greatest when it comes to dangling through players (more speed to get around players then trying to pull a Pavel Datsyuk on them). So I guess I would say a reason why that move works so well in the shootout/PS is because I can quickly get it to my backhand.

But if I miss the next time I have a shootout or a breakaway....im coming back here and blaming you! :rant:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I pulled off the St. Louis spin around backwards and tuck it five hole move in warmups last night. Our goalie's not the best, and I would never try it in a game, but it was fun.

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better
a kid on my team a few years ago pulled teh marek malik shootout move on a breakaway and scored. we were up by alot

as a goalie sometimes i like to deke teh shooter. i will come way out or fake a poke check or something like that. it works quite often. usually the shooter has some preconceived thought about what they want to do and when i fake a poke check or come way out on them it throws them off and the end up not being able to pull of their move

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
a kid on my team a few years ago pulled teh marek malik shootout move on a breakaway and scored. we were up by alot

as a goalie sometimes i like to deke teh shooter. i will come way out or fake a poke check or something like that. it works quite often. usually the shooter has some preconceived thought about what they want to do and when i fake a poke check or come way out on them it throws them off and the end up not being able to pull of their move

I hope someone from the other team then proceeded to run him.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
nope. they were terrible. that was like our 8th goal. we wernt even intentionally pouring it on, they were just that bad. if they didnt want it to happen, they shouldnt have given him teh break away

Just my opinion, but if someone does the Malik move in a rec-league shootout, that's "intentionally pouring it on".

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

Mar 18, 2007
Try the change up....it works! I've done it about 7 times and scored on 6!
Skate in regularly and lean in with ur weak leg in the air like your gonna rip a top shelfer...then just barely push the puck forward...go five hole it's not pretty but works
I saw Kovalev do it in the skills and have been using it since.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Skate in regularly and lean in with ur weak leg in the air like your gonna rip a top shelfer...then just barely push the puck forward...go five hole it's not pretty but works

But if you don't score on a move like that you'll look like an idiot...but if you score..it probably looks pretty nice :laugh:

hossua34

Mutt
Apr 7, 2003
Irvine, CA
I used to skate in and deke toward the left (I'm a right hand shot) and try to appear like I was setting up for a backhand shot, then slow down approaching the crease, pull the puck back, and try to snap it over the goalie's left shoulder.

It worked almost all the time if you were accurate with your shot, because the goalie was hugging the right post getting ready for that backhand.

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
Shooting left, I like to come in from the right side and have plenty of options based on what the goalie is doing. I usually shoot short side low or to the far post, also low. Sometimes go high short side but not often. If there's not room there I'll go stick side (assuming goalie catches left) between the blocker and body. Also leaves the option to fake the shot and go across the crease and slide one in five hole. If I fake the shot and he throws a poke check I'll slam on the brakes and spin, throwing it backhand towards the post. Basically I come in from the right side and read the goalie, I have lots of options doing this.

SiouxPride

Dec 26, 2006
WINNIPEG!
Last night,
i came in on a breakaway, winded up for a slapper,
faked it and deked left, kicked leg & then went across and backhanded right side.
worked :nod:

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better
Just my opinion, but if someone does the Malik move in a rec-league shootout, that's "intentionally pouring it on".

it wasnt a rec-league. i mean, what were we suppose to do, just pass it around the zone? they werent very good. he probably could have scored easier if he did a different move

HischieR13

Mar 16, 2009
Strong Island

lol im from a very crappy hockey school, we're not big on hockey at all (long island school) and we had this 1 good kid who now plays college hockey and on his breakaway/shootout this is the move he used, fake the shot and just like the puck drizzle in..it actually works..looks good too

ki11joy

Aug 28, 2007
lol im from a very crappy hockey school, we're not big on hockey at all (long island school) and we had this 1 good kid who now plays college hockey and on his breakaway/shootout this is the move he used, fake the shot and just like the puck drizzle in..it actually works..looks good too

Something like this?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I just roof it over the glove hand with a wrister, I don't deke often my release is pretty good and my shot is accurate.

TradeforWendel

Mar 8, 2007
Canada
On ice I'm a goalie so I don't have one, but in inline, coming in fast across the crease and doing a quick snowplow stop and tucking the puck in the side you came from works a LOT. Goalies in inline dont expect the quick stops and will often times follow your body.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I always come in with a little speed and a little angle, don't handle the puck too much, use a shoulder fake like I'm going high glove or bringing it to the backhand and just fire five-hole. I really can't explain it better in words. It's not flashy but very effective. You just make a quick move or two at the end, make sure to sell the fake and slide it five-hole.

OrangeZebra

Unregistered User
Mar 3, 2011
New York
Currently trying to master the Datsyukian Deke (I'm a righty) and the only part thats giving me trouble is the 2nd move, or the move after the pullback. It's probably just my timing but sometimes I'll be a little late on the backhand and hit the post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad