Whats your shootout/breakaway move?

Escapades

Mar 7, 2009
Im just curious how everyone here handles a shootout or a breakaway. I just played a pickup game and as always there were about 10 breakaways and pretty much everyone did something different so it got me thinking. Personally I have recently tried the move Woktek Wolski has been doing, obviously im not as good at it as he is but it seems to work for me, what about you?

Woski's move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or_V5pZfXcc

dirtydevs9

Feb 2, 2008
USA
Funny, I won a game for us yesterday on a breakaway.

Depends on the goalie..if he's good and on fire I usually just take a wrist shot to an open spot on the net.
If he's a less experienced goalie I'll maybe do a small deke or two.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I play D.

If I'm ever on a breakaway or a shootout I either come in with speed and shoot, or fake the shot (shoulder drop + leg kick) and go backhand.

If it's not a serious game I'll usually go for the fancy move. I've done the spin-o-rama a few times as well, and I even nailed the Malik move once.

TheGooooch

Mar 29, 2008
San Francisco
I am right handed so if it is a shootout then I usually come wide in from the right of the goal (the goalies left) and see if they are giving me 5 hole or not. If not I fake a snap shot and go backhand

Red Dragon

Feb 11, 2008
When I was a forward I would get tons of breakaways and use the same deke, worked 90% of the time. Backhand to forehand and fake to backhand then quickly slow down and usually have about a quarter of the net to slide the puck in. Speed is really important. Now that I'm D I only get to do shutouts in practice but I'll use that deke and a five hole shot at the top of the crease.

Hamilton35

Jan 21, 2009
I always go five hole. just a certain classiness to it imo. preferably on the ice. usually fake shot, fake backhand to open him up and slide it in.

but I am a goalie 99% of the time, and in my career (sadly relegated to mens league now) I have never lost a shootout in my life. I actually get so rattled when I let in a breakaway. pisses me off.

AHF

Apr 21, 2004
Edmonton
Leg kick combined with a head fake, shoot top right corner. Most goalie bite on the fake. :D

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
My go-to move is the heel drag, aka "the Datsyuk." Obviously, not as smooth at he does it.

If the goalie doesn't come out, the Brad Richards... Skate in fast and do the quick shot to the lowest open hole.

densetsu

Quickly come out to the hash marks (correct the angle if he's coming in from the side). Skate backwards, pace the skater so I'll be just outside the crease when he comes in for the deke. Let him make the first move. If he shoots, make the save. If he dekes, wait for him to commit to one side, then push off in a butterfly or half-butterfly slide, towards the post he's going for.

Classic Y-theory.

What'd you think I was going to say, one-two-three triple deke? Goalies rarely shoot in a shootout.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
First breakaway of the game: Fake forehand with leg kick, switch to back hand and go top shelf.

Second breakaway of the game: Fake backhand, deek to forehand snapshot top shelf.

I haven't had 3 in a game yet, so I'll worry about that when it happens. For now, I practice my backhand breakaway shot every time I'm on the ice at least once or twice, sometimes much more. I like having that go-to play ready so I don't out think myself.

hsing

Jan 10, 2008
Most of the time, I jus try to shot in the right corner since i'm righty. If i have enough time, I look at the left part of the net, and try to shoot when the goalie have his weight on his left leg. I know I did it right when I see the goalie not even try to move on my shot.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I tried the Ribiero move from this past week over the weekend. Ball didn't make it too far.

Usually it's something resembling the Forsberg/Jokinen move, but not nearly as smooth. I'll say it works 1 out of 3 times.

BrianNYR

Dec 11, 2007
I've got the datsyuk down pretty good, I also use the vanek blast alot when goalies don't like to come out of the net. Ive been working on the Okposo move he tried in a shootout in january I believe. It starts as a st. louis skating backwards move, and dragging it all the way around your body into a datsyuk lol
the best move i find is this though. it gives you the option to shoot at all times, and if the goalie doesnt give that to you, can sneak it between his legs when you deke to the opposite side of the net. When you hit the top of the circles, show shot all the way and sell it completely. If the goalie goes for that than shoot, if not slide it between his legs like so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhqbdjDRDqw

this move works on all types of goalies too

MaKi

Marschak's #1 Fan
Apr 13, 2007
Marschak's Bandwagon
My favourite to do is the fake wrist shot, then I bring the puck forward in the fake, and then pull it across my body with a backhand toe drag, and then go for a backhand upstairs or through the legs.
I only try this on a penalty shot/breakaway if the ice is relatively clean because otherwise it doesnt work that well.

I actually use this more on 1on1 or 1on2 situations.
I do it when I'm coming in on a Defense who are moving slow, or have been caught flat footed.
The fake shot freezes them up enough to make room for the backhand shot, and if you fake the shot with the D between you and the goalie there's a chance the goalie might commit a bit to much because he can't see that well.
And that combined with some speed and the fact that your pulling the puck across your body will cause enough of a change in the angle that the shot is coming from to get the puck passed the goalie pretty often.
Hardest part of this move is putting the backhand shot where you want it, and it's alot harder if you have a big curve on your blade.
I use a pretty straight blade, that's one of the reason I use this alot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad