Whats your shootout/breakaway move?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I've only missed this move twice in my life, and it wasn't because the goalie saved it. If I don't score, that means I hit the right post (I'm RH).

If I'm playing for fun, then I attempt other moves like the Omark or Forsberg.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i've never been able to master any nice shootout/breakaway moves

the one i have used with success is just the basic pump fake to backhand. other than that, i usually just try to roof it over the goalie's shoulder or go 5 hole

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
My move is 'don't be too clever and don't screw it up, even if you don't score at least make sure you get a good shot off and challenge the goalie'. I've got a big wingspan and longish stick, so I'll skate in and make a beeline for one post to try and commit the goalie, then drag the puck across the other post side and shoot that side or try and tuck it around the goalie.

Nothing worse than a big dangler who outdoes themselves, loses the puck off their stick and never gets a shot off. KISS principle.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Waiting out the goalie and simply going backhand has the highest success rate for me.

If I get multiple breakaways, sometimes I fake the backhand and go forehand or simply pull a quick snap shot to keep the goalie guessing.

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013

Me @ 4:22. I try for 5 hole about 90% of the time.

Me @ :12 secs in. As you can see it doesn't work all the time if the goalie knows you are going for it. The downside of playing with the same goalies all the time in drop in.

Last edited:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I should have my back against the crossbar, then when I see the breakaway forming I skate out about halfway between the top of the crease and the hash marks. I try to keep up with the same pace as the puck, telescoping backwards, a cold sweat dripping down my chin as I desperately try to keep my team in the game, keeping a close eye on the stick blade and if I think I have time at the skater's eyes and hands. I like to move back just a little bit to draw the shot, but if the guy tries a move then I move in a backwards Y shape depending on the direction that he goes. Then I snap my stick against the crossbar when the goal light goes off.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Fake shot -> backhand deke -> forehand deke -> low blocker shot at high speed. Pretty simple but seems to work. Even won a shootout contest once mainly using this move.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Picked the puck off a defenseman tonight, had a breakaway from our blue line. Gotta love the trusty ol' quick stickhandling with a quick release going five-hole shot to cap off a hat trick.

Last edited:

mmcdonald11987

Sep 19, 2011
Hendersonville, TN
Generally I just go in with speed and fake a shot (right handed shot), then see if the goalie bites on it...most of the time they will go down into the butterfly when I fake the shot and as quickly as I can I aim for either of the top corners. Most of the time I score that way...if I don't, it's usually because I shoot it right into their chest. I NEVER slam my stick in disgust because...well...broken sticks usually happen.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
I can't seem to roof my backhand with any consistency so I come in favoring the lane to the goalie's glove side and if the shot high glove isn't open, then I deke to my backhand and go 5-hole quick. Works well in lower leagues since the goalie has in his mind he's got to move all the way over from his glove side.

Question for goalies - is this an obvious thing and is it possible to effectively slide your stick/pads to prevent the 5-hole shot while shifting all the way across? Does the skater's incoming speed affect anything?

Maybe goalies should tell us their most difficult move to save.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad