HF Habs: Whats YOUR plan ?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Watching the Leafs shit the bed between the pipes and on the backend I'm more in favour of keeping Price and Weber during the rebuild, low value for trade based on their contracts and positions some of the rebuilt teams are struggling to compensate for. Unless we can get great value in a trade of course

Trade Max for another 18 1st and name Weber Captain

Leave the scrap D as is so we can keep the kids in the AHL for another year - including Mete, ensures another Top pick in 2019 with Benn, Lolzner and Schlemko back there

Go after Tavares but if we miss don't thrown money/term at plan Bs

Target some good UFAs on short term deals that we can flip at the TDL next year for more picks

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It depends on whether we win the lottery or not. If we get Dahlin, then it might make sense to try and go for it over the next 2-3 years which would mean keeping Weber. If we don't win the lottery then we should rebuild by selling Weber, Petry, Pacioretty for the best set of prospects/picks we can. Even winning the lottery those 3 might be worth trading depending on return.

Regardless of the draft, we should probably package Byron with a 2nd to get another 1st. We should also try to deal Alzner, Shaw, Schlemko, Benn for whatever we can get. For Alzner/Shaw we probably have to back a bad contract but so long as it's shorter in length so be it. For Schlemko, Benn you maybe get a late pick, if not go for a prospect that had potential but is in the process of busting like say Dal Colle.

In terms of team identity, with Price back there I would want 6 PMD, especially ones who like to jump into the rush. For the top-6 I would want a mix of offensive and two-way players, speed and hockey IQ would probably be the two biggest things to focus on. I would also prefer a "skilled" bottom-6 forward group over a crash and bang one.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Watching the Leafs **** the bed between the pipes and on the backend I'm more in favour of keeping Price

yeah because Price is such a playoff warrior and did so great last season? :sarcasm:

Price playing for the leafs in the playoffs they would be out 4 straight

by the time we are competetive again Price will be in a wheelchair or walking with a cane anyway

Last edited:
Reactions: Cobra Commander

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
yeah because Price is such a playoff warrior and did so great last season? :sarcasm:

Price playing for the leafs in the playoffs they would be out 4 straight

by the time we are competetive again Price will be in a wheelchair or walking with a cane anyway
Price's playoff stats since he's 25 (comprising three playoff seasons): 30 GP / .922 SV% / 2.20 GA

Aside from his first few seasons in his early-20s, Price has been very good in the playoffs.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
For me, it would all depend on if you can sign Tavares or not. If somehow you can get Tavares to come play here it changes everything. Trade Pax for Fowler or Brodin or whatever puck moving Left D you cant get and you have the 2 biggest holes filed.

If you dont land Tavares or another no 1 Center this summer, rebuild from the ground up!!

Reactions: LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
For me, it would all depend on if you can sign Tavares or not. If somehow you can get Tavares to come play here it changes everything. Trade Pax for Fowler or Brodin or whatever puck moving Left D you cant get and you have the 2 biggest holes filed.

If you dont land Tavares or another no 1 Center this summer, rebuild from the ground up!!

I heard Voynov is looking to come back in the NHL too. I don't know if it's true and if he can but that would be a big fish. He's a very underrated dman i think. I don't think anyone should be defined for the rest of his life by one bad action he did.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I heard Voynov is looking to come back in the NHL too. I don't know if it's true and if he can but that would be a big fish. He's a very underrated dman i think. I don't think anyone should be defined for the rest of his life by one bad action he did.
God NO!

Its one thing to snort coke of f*** your teammates wife, but torture, physical and emotional abuse is a big no for me.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

The problem is that best time to trade Pacioretty is at the draft, so you have to decide whether to trade him for an established player or futures before you know if you'll get Tavares.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
The problem is that best time to trade Pacioretty is at the draft, so you have to decide whether to trade him for an established player or futures before you know if you'll get Tavares.

Tavares or not i would trade Pax, i wouldnt want to pay him over 7M a year and thats what hes gonna ask for sure.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Tavares or not i would trade Pax, i wouldnt want to pay him over 7M a year and thats what hes gonna ask for sure.

But do you trade him for a defenceman in his mid 20s or do you want picks/prospects? If you get Tavares, you'd rather the Dman, if you don't you might prefer the picks/prospects.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
For me, it would all depend on if you can sign Tavares or not

a plan does not include the word "if"

signing tavares is not a plan....its a hope

this team already has too many "hopes"

lets hope Price returns to god forum,
lets hope our offense can score more,
lets hope the defense improves,
etc etc

Reactions: ArtPeur and LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
But do you trade him for a defenceman in his mid 20s or do you want picks/prospects? If you get Tavares, you'd rather the Dman, if you don't you might prefer the picks/prospects.

A dman in his mid 20ies would be perfectly fine. Dmen tend to be good until they are 33 and up so if the guy is 26 that leaves you around 8 years of good hockey. If the guy is worth it then do it (unless we get the 1st and Dahlin then it would be more logical to want a center).

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
I know Bergevin likes to criticize NHL 18, saying it's easy to make a trade (it's actually quite hard) but he has something he could learn by studying the game. I started a franchise mode with the Habs, and man, is it hard to make a trade, and hard to make this team better.

The habs have only two players with any significant value (Price and Weber) in the game. We don't have a prospect bank fully loaded with high value assets.

Drouin has some value.

Galchenyuk, coming off his "75% off" sticker from last summer, has marginal value.

Gallagher , coming off a few injury plagued seasons, doesn't have 30g scorer value yet. At least not in the game.

What options are we left with? Desperate times call for desperate measures.

1-RFAs. Work the system. Target teams already at the cap. Offer the upper limit offer without giving up significant assets. I believe 39m m is the limit. It involves giving a 2nd rounder as compensation. Done. 3.9 is high enough that a cap-strapped team can't make it work. You get a good young player without giving up much.

1.9m is the limit for giving up a 3rd rounder. Doesn't hurt to try. Athanasiou would fit into this category . Wings were way over cap at the time .

Repeat with 1.25m and under players if you want. There's no compensation .

As for the critics saying

"but other teams will do the same to our good young rfa players!" ....Hahaha haha! We don't have any!!!!! That's the best part! It's foolproof!

"But Bergevin will piss of the other gms!" . He's getting fired if he doesn't improve the team anyway.

2-Criticize the Leafs if you want, but one thing they did to accumulate assets, was sign players in the summer, knowing they'd be assets later on. They signed polak, knowing they'd trade him at the deadline .They signed Winnik, knowing they'd trade him...then signed him the next summer too! And traded him again! Genius . That's 3 2nd rounders and prospects for free just there. Kyle Dubas has been playing nhl 16. That's the first thing every franchise gm does .

That's two things that could improve the team.

Reactions: BPD Habs Fan

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
A dman in his mid 20ies would be perfectly fine. Dmen tend to be good until they are 33 and up so if the guy is 26 that leaves you around 8 years of good hockey. If the guy is worth it then do it (unless we get the 1st and Dahlin then it would be more logical to want a center).

Good maybe, but in their prime not so much. It also presumably makes it harder to tank and get better picks vs getting a pick.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
a plan does not include the word "if"

signing tavares is not a plan....its a hope

this team already has too many "hopes"

lets hope Price returns to god forum,
lets hope our offense can score more,
lets hope the defense improves,
etc etc

A plan should not include just one path though. I mean you got to have options. The plan should be different if you get the first pick, 2nd pick or another pick. And getting any of those picks is a very realistic outcome. If you get the first then you don't hunt for a LHD anymore. Dahlin, Mete and Alzner is fine. If you get Svechnikov then you got to move a winger for either a center or a LHD. If you get the 7th pick then you should think about rebuilding very very seriously.

And yeah Tavares must be an option in your plan if you get either Dahlin or Svechnikov because imo, and i could be wrong, they are the kind of talents that can turn a team around quickly . If you don't try to sign a guy like Tavares after getting potentially a franchise dman or winger at the draft then you're not doing your job imo. He should not be TEH plan but he should be an option in your plan. A path that could be taken if the opportunity arises.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Watching the Leafs **** the bed between the pipes and on the backend I'm more in favour of keeping Price and Weber during the rebuild, low value for trade based on their contracts and positions some of the rebuilt teams are struggling to compensate for. Unless we can get great value in a trade of course

Leave the scrap D as is so we can keep the kids in the AHL for another year - including Mete, ensures another Top pick in 2019 with Benn, Lolzner and Schlemko back there

Target some good UFAs on short term deals that we can flip at the TDL next year for more picks
So you want to keep Price and Weber but trade Max and keep our current D so we get a top pick? I don't understand why you want to keep Price and Weber is that's what the goal is? By the time the rebuild is ready, Weber will be an old man and Price will be older as well. Better to get something (and salary relief) than to keep them for a rebuild?

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I know Bergevin likes to criticize NHL 18, saying it's easy to make a trade (it's actually quite hard) but he has something he could learn by studying the game. I started a franchise mode with the Habs, and man, is it hard to make a trade, and hard to make this team better.

The habs have only two players with any significant value (Price and Weber) in the game. We don't have a prospect bank fully loaded with high value assets.

Drouin has some value.

Galchenyuk, coming off his "75% off" sticker from last summer, has marginal value.

Gallagher , coming off a few injury plagued seasons, doesn't have 30g scorer value yet. At least not in the game.

What options are we left with? Desperate times call for desperate measures.

1-RFAs. Work the system. Target teams already at the cap. Offer the upper limit offer without giving up significant assets. I believe 39m m is the limit. It involves giving a 2nd rounder as compensation. Done. 3.9 is high enough that a cap-strapped team can't make it work. You get a good young player without giving up much.

1.9m is the limit for giving up a 3rd rounder. Doesn't hurt to try. Athanasiou would fit into this category . Wings were way over cap at the time .

Repeat with 1.25m and under players if you want. There's no compensation .

As for the critics saying

"but other teams will do the same to our good young rfa players!" ....Hahaha haha! We don't have any!!!!! That's the best part! It's foolproof!

"But Bergevin will piss of the other gms!" . He's getting fired if he doesn't improve the team anyway.

2-Criticize the Leafs if you want, but one thing they did to accumulate assets, was sign players in the summer, knowing they'd be assets later on. They signed polak, knowing they'd trade him at the deadline .They signed Winnik, knowing they'd trade him...then signed him the next summer too! And traded him again! Genius . That's 3 2nd rounders and prospects for free just there. Kyle Dubas has been playing nhl 16. That's the first thing every franchise gm does .

That's two things that could improve the team.
Best strategy for your video game is to turn the level to ROOKIE and win that way... too bad the Habs can't do the same.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Watching the Leafs **** the bed between the pipes and on the backend I'm more in favour of keeping Price and Weber during the rebuild, low value for trade based on their contracts and positions some of the rebuilt teams are struggling to compensate for. Unless we can get great value in a trade of course

You sir are reading my mind. 100% agree with everything written in this post.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I really wish we kept Sergachev. He would've made a solid pairing with Weber next season. I'm happy he's still scoring - even in the playoffs. Actually I'm happy for all former Habs because they really seem to succeed once they get out from under our team.

Personally - the best plan for me is to nail the draft. Not counting on getting #1 overall but we just need to hit on a bunch of picks. We're not getting Tavares and as much as I would like to see him here, our team is SO far from a cup that we really shouldn't sign him anyways.
Bergevin wants him so he can help sneak us into the 6-8 spot of the playoffs.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
All good possibilities, but somewhat a dream............for me, getting rid of MB helps us 10 fold, once that happens, it gets alot better going forward...
It's been an absolute disaster of a 6 yr period...
Wasted a good six years watching habs which is a big piece of your heart removed while we could of been a success today!

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
So you want to keep Price and Weber but trade Max and keep our current D so we get a top pick? I don't understand why you want to keep Price and Weber is that's what the goal is? By the time the rebuild is ready, Weber will be an old man and Price will be older as well. Better to get something (and salary relief) than to keep them for a rebuild?
Max is a UFA and has some value to help the rebuild.
Check out the main boards on the trade value for Price and Weber, it's not very good especially Carey - this of course isn't what actual GMs value them at, but if we are dumping them to just get the salary off the books it doesn't help us at all in a rebuild. If someone is offering up 1st rounders and prospects that's a different story, if they're offering 2nds and Lucic/Zaitsev I'll stick with what we have and hope we are back competing for a playoff spot in 3 years.

If Carey doesn't bounce back we have to hope he gets Hossa-itis or retires

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad