HF Habs: Whats YOUR plan ?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
In the spirit of Bergy's four pillar plan (attitude, karacter, Price and lucking out on Tavares/Dahlin), I thought it would be interesting to see what all of you had in mind.

By plan, I mean a general guideline of who you would target, how you see the next 1-2 years, what the team should do both in player transactions and internal management moves.

Here are a few questions to get you started:

Do you rebuild or do you compete ?

If you rebuild, for which players would you be willing to listen to offers ? Which vets would be your must trades ? Who are your must keep ?

What would be your plan for this draft and the next ?

What would be your AHL philosophy ? Your big club philosophy ?

For the big club, who would you target ? What would you do if those options failed ?

What line changes would you do ?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Rebuild.

Trade 2nd picks 2018+ (+ Byron?) to get another 1st pick 2018. 2 top-10 picks would be great. A Wahlstrom/Hughes combo would be nice (or any f + d)

Trade Price, Weber, Pacioretty (with/without retention) for prospect, cap dump and 1st pick 2019 (for each guy if you can)

Something like Price 2m$ retained for Allen, cap dump, 1st pick 2019

Find anyone who would be willing to pick and pay something good enough for Alzner and Shaw. Find takers for Benn and Schlemko.

Tank in 2019. Give experience to young guys like Mete, Juulsen and Scherbak. Let our 2018 draftees play in "junior leagues" for another year. Bring back Plekanec for another year.

Then hope that your team become competitive by 2020 and further on. Ideally we would have faster/mobile and skilled players.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Rebuild.

Trade 2nd picks 2018+ (+ Byron?) to get another 1st pick 2018. 2 top-10 picks would be great. A Wahlstrom/Hughes combo would be nice (or any f + d)

Trade Price, Weber, Pacioretty (with/without retention) for prospect, cap dump and 1st pick 2019 (for each guy if you can)

Find anyone who would be willing to pick and pay something good enough for Alzner and Shaw. Find takers for Benn and Schlemko.

Tank in 2019. Give experience to young guys like Mete, Juulsen and Scherbak. Let our 2018 draftees play in "junior leagues" for another year. Bring back Plekanec for another year.

Then hope that your team become competitive by 2020 and further on. Ideally we would have faster/mobile and skilled players.

Pretty well word for word what I’d do.

Saved me a lot of typing. :laugh:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Here is what i would do. Rebuild.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Full rebuild but i have been proning that for a long time so it's nothing new for me really. I'm sick of the half assed rebuilds and patch jobs. Do it or don't and stop using band aids on shotgun wounds....

Other than that build from the center position and not from the goaltending position. This is something the Habs have failed to do since the mid 1990. We had ONE player that was above PPG since Pierre Turgeon and Vincent Damphousse in 1995 and that was Kovalev with 84pts in 2007-2008. That's incredibly pathetic. Get some goddamn offense and stop relaying on a hot goalie so much. This doesn't work.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Rebuild from top to bottom.
Hopefully we land Dahlin. To him, we have Drouin and Galchenyuk. Those three make up part of the base of my foundation. That means, trade Price Weber and Max for picks and/or prospects, and probably draft in bottom 10 for next 2 years.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I tend to agree on a few things, here a few thoughts:

1. That our team is not set up in any way to compete as it is, even with a few moves, even big ones like signing Tavares.

2. In that case, the alternative of rebuilding is the best scenario.

3. If rebuilding is what we'll do, do you really trade all your veterans ? At some point, you need a few quality players to keep a minimum of team culture and be examples for the amount of young players that would likely be coming up in the next few years. If you trade all those veterans away, you also risk rushing prospects through lack of quality roster players.

4. This year has a strong top 15 and second round. With Carolina, Edmonton, Florida and New York (isles) looking to compete, there's no doubt you can find a taker for Pacioretty. That's where you can get a Kotkaniemi on top of the pick you'll already have made. It's a good year to load up on defensemen as well and I would definitely look to trade up for the right deal.

5. Next year is stacked at center in the first, so well worth sucking for. Also worth trading for another first... or two.

So, with that said, what kind of prospects would you all be looking for on the market ?

And what kind of roster would you accept come opening night (just a general feel, don't need to have specific names) ?

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
since MB is stickin around, the change to management should be appointing a new president of hockey ops that has a vision for the team. MB's skills on the phone should be fine to help make that vision happen...for now

We need a long term vision ASAP, not some patchwork job that is bound to happen with MB running the ship.

Yesterday I felt was a good start, a succession plan for the next head coach. Lets keep going in this direction!

Reactions: Runner77

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
These threads discussing the plan moving forward will be much better after tonight. In all likelihood we won't get Dahlin and therefore have really no shot at Tavares.

Then reality sets in and we have to make a plan with this mess.

1. Play Galchenyuk at center with Scherbak on one of his wings.
2. Trade Pacioretty for a blue chip prospect or a lottery pick
3. Go hard after any free agents with talent regardless of position (ex John Carlesson, David Perron, etc..).
4. Sign as many UFA's as possible to 1 year deals that can be flipped at the deadline.

And then 5. watch this team suck next year but at least Bergevin gets fired and we get another lottery pick.

Last edited:

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
i would make a trade to get another top 10 pick in this years draft.....

summer trade Price, Weber, Patch, Chucky, Gally, Drouin, for prospects and as many first round picks in 2019 that you can get.....

tank the year away next season and try to finish last

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
a- hire Stephane Quintal or Martin Brodeur as president
b- fire Bergevin and his staff
c-get ride of the pro-scouting responsible
d- hire Brisebois as GM
e- get another first round selection and a player by trading Maxpac
f- draft Dalhin, Svechnikov,Boqvist , Wahlstrom , Zadina , Hughes or Dobson
g- draft Kotkaniemi or Velano
h- sign Tavares
i- enjoy

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Less attitude, more character, more grind. Pick someone on the roster and make them a better person (if they are not from Quebec or a Good ole Canadian Boy). Have Pricer return to form. Find the answer in the room (it's in there right?). Hire more buddies to team positions.

Sadly, the above is probably word for word MB's plan, and is what we are gonna get. Prepare to see more of the same, and MB ramping up his efforts to return to the playoffs next season at all costs (picks traded, skill traded, holding on to vets, short term moves, desperate signings, etc). The team is a lost cause until he's gone.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

summer trade Price, Weber, Patch, Chucky, Gally, Drouin, for prospects and as many first round picks in 2019 that you can get.....

Most of the board would want the same thing, but it's not gonna happen.

Molsac wants to make the postseason dineros.

That's why all the first moves have been bench related.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

That doesn't leave you many players...

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

all that to see the Oilers getting the first choice OA of the draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad