HF Habs: Whats YOUR plan ?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If the salary cap comes in around the rumoured 80 million? We will have around 18 million in cap room. NOw, Danault will get a raise, and Carr, DLR slight raises, eating up about 5 million of that. But if we trade Pacioretty for futures?? That's a big if, we will have around 17.5 million in cap space.

More than enough room to potentially do some damage on the UFA market. If we can get a Stastny or Tavares to sign here.

Raises to those three players should't get all the way to 4M. I don't want to be a stickler, but the Cap situation will be even better. That doesn't mean, however, that we need to use it on UFAs if the interesting ones don't sign here. The Cap room can also be useful for trades.

jmurray77

Oct 10, 2006
Trade Max, Price and Weber to Oilers for Draisaitl, Talbot, Lucic and the 10th overall. You then take whats left at #10 either Kotkaniemi, Boqvist or Wahlstrom.

Lineup becomes:
Drouin--Draisaitl-Galchunyuk Mete-Petry Talbot
Zadina-Danult-Gallagher Riley-Juulsen Lindgren
Lucic-Evans-Sherbek Tarmina-Lernhout
Deslauris-Hudon-Lehokenen

With Alzner, Andrew Shaw, Byron, Shlemko, Benn, you seek out bad contracts of 2-3 years and hope and pray to add draft picks by taking something worse back then the out going ones.

You set yourself up for the tank for Hughes and Lafreniere over the next 2 years. Your core 5 forwards -Drouin, Draisaitl, Galchunyuk, Zadina, Gallagher will have an average age of 22.6. You add a Boqvist at 10 along with Mete, Juulsen, Fleruy, Brock and thats a start on the back end.

You fire Bergevin when Brisebois's contract is done in Tampa. I read he couldn't leave Tampa to interview for Carolina because it was part of his contract. In say three years the team would have Brisebois as GM, Bouchard, Ducharmae as coaches and a very nice core with hopefully a Lafreniere, Hughes to boot. At the very least a top 5 pick for three more years. While we wait you name Gallagher Captain, you have young skill up front and Lucic to beat people up for entertainment. You also get to flesh out the Sherbeks, Lehkonen's, Evans, Hudon's to see with proper ice time who is ready to make the next step if at all.

Adding Taveres to Weber and Price dont get the Habs the Cup IMO. They would need a high end 2nd line centre a top pairing LHD and the Habs don't have the assets to go and get that. The worst thing in the world would be to give Stasnty, Bozak a long term deal that would set the franchise back even more. The tank with youth and add assets by taking on bad contracts is the only way to turn in around for a sustained run.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
1- Have the owners of the Habs put an ultimatum to Quebec City and the city of montreal. plan- no MTL player will pay ANY TAXES AT ALL and that includes city and house taxes. if no deal then move the entire beer business to another place, fire all workers sell all properties. The Habs need to level the playing field tax wise. once every player in the NHL sees what his NEW take home pay is, then getting players wont be any problem anymore. Sure put it to a vote if you lose the vote then sell the Habs off, sell off all the other things the Habs own. Melt down all Stanly Cups, destroy all banners, strike the name of the Habs from every pylon, from all oboliscs, from all books and print, let the Name of the Habs be removed from history for ALL TIME. " Let it be written, Let it be done "

2- If my plan is agreed upon, then send Bergevin and all his staff on a 40 day trek to the foot of Mount Royal, let Bergevin clime the mount and seek out the M. Richard burning bush to receive the names of the 22 Hab players and the most important of the Hab goalie with the nickname of " piller of fire". The roster TABLETS to be put into the Habs "ARK" embeded at center ice.

Reactions: Pickles

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
1- Have the owners of the Habs put an ultimatum to Quebec City and the city of montreal. plan- no MTL player will pay ANY TAXES AT ALL and that includes city and house taxes. if no deal then move the entire beer business to another place, fire all workers sell all properties. The Habs need to level the playing field tax wise. once every player in the NHL sees what his NEW take home pay is, then getting players wont be any problem anymore. Sure put it to a vote if you lose the vote then sell the Habs off, sell off all the other things the Habs own. Melt down all Stanly Cups, destroy all banners, strike the name of the Habs from every pylon, from all oboliscs, from all books and print, let the Name of the Habs be removed from history for ALL TIME. " Let it be written, Let it be done "

2- If my plan is agreed upon, then send Bergevin and all his staff on a 40 day trek to the foot of Mount Royal, let Bergevin clime the mount and seek out the M. Richard burning bush to receive the names of the 22 Hab players and the most important of the Hab goalie with the nickname of " piller of fire". The roster TABLETS to be put into the Habs "ARK" embeded at center ice.
The owners care more about selling beer and condos than they do about the vanity project known as the Habs.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
My plan? if was the GM, I would trade all of the veterans and the dead wood. Montreal has a couple of good assets to build their foundation on; Galchenuyk, Drouin, Gallagher, Lekhonen, Sherbak, Mete, Juulsen, Alain, Lindgren, Carr, Hudon, Verbeek, Bitten, Fleury, Poehling, Ikonen, Deslauriers, Primeau, Hawkey, Danault and this years draft picks. By trading all the vets we could get a couple of young good players. Enough with the band-aid solutions, this will lead us nowhere, we need build our future.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
My plan? if was the GM, I would trade all of the veterans and the dead wood. Montreal has a couple of good assets to build their foundation on; Galchenuyk, Drouin, Gallagher, Lekhonen, Sherbak, Mete, Juulsen, Alain, Lindgren, Carr, Hudon, Verbeek, Bitten, Fleury, Poehling, Ikonen, Deslauriers, Primeau, Hawkey, Danault and this years draft picks. By trading all the vets we could get a couple of young good players. Enough with the band-aid solutions, this will lead us nowhere, we need build our future.

What's the dead wood on this team though? Weber? Price?Pacioretty?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
My plan is to criticize everything that goes wrong and blame it on Bergevin... and say how I would have done it better and when things go right I'm going to say it was lucky.

Reactions: Belial

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I go Czech. Pacioretty to Rangers for Chityl and TB 1st.

Draft Zadina.

Acquire a LHD. Hanifin. For 35th overall and next year's 1st.

Acquire Pominville for a 3rd, a RH shot on PP, and leadership, with Briere heroics.

Re-sign Plekanec. 1 year for 1000 as a Hab. Someone to take key draws. And mentor the kids.
Sign a PK guy, RH centre/wing like Josh Jooris. More important than a hitting machine like Deslauriers.

Lehkonen-Drouin-Gallagher(C)
Galchenyuk-Chityl-Zadina
Hudon-Danault-Pominville(A)
Byron-Plekanec(A)-Shaw
DLR, Jooris/Deslauriers

Mete-Weber(A)
Hanifin-Petry
Alzner/Schlemko-Juulsen
Reilly as 7/8

Price
Niemi

Scherbak can win a spot with a good camp. Definitely Hudon is on the hot seat. If Chityl isn't ready maybe Galchenyuk at 2C with Scherbak and Zadina.

Bitten could surprise if he excels at penalty killing. Apprenticeship won't hurt.

I think the coaching changes will help.

I'd go with a 1st PP of

Drouin
Gallagher
Galchenyuk
Pominville
Weber

2nd
Chityl
Zadina
Shaw
Hudon/Scherbak
Petry

PK
Byron-Plekanec
Gallagher-Drouin
Lehkonen-Danault

Team gets younger. Veteran core gets a last chance to win together.

Last edited:

Makaveli XI

Aug 23, 2015
Sign Tavares
Trade Pacioretty+ for ROR
Draft Zadina
Sign or Trade for a LHD that can play top 2/4

Galchenyuk Tavares Gallagher
Drouin ROR Zadina
Lehkonen Danault Scherbak
Byron DLR Shaw

??? Weber
Mete Petry
Alzner Juulsen

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

The NHL would probably consider that tax reduction is a financial incentive and include any reduced amounts in the team's salary cap. It's like you can't hire JT's new wife to be for $10M per year and then only pay him $3M per year as a salary to count against the cap. No pro sports with a cap allow cap circumvention like that.

Mathew11

Aug 17, 2008
Montreal
Guys I don't see Molson going in to a full rebuild. He wants playoff revenue!! He would take a first round exit for the next 3 years rather than committing to a rebuild. Rebuild will make the fans stay home. He wont sell tickets during the season plus no playoffs. I DON'T SEE IT!
I don't see the Habs tanking and not going hard at some FA's this year

Now will Statsny, Bozak, Perron and others sign here, thats the question but Bergevin, will throw the cash hard this summer.
His job is on the line he wont trade everyone for futures.
Also would be stupid to go in to a rebuild with the guy who caused this much needed rebuild.
20 Million in salary could be an issue though.

I hope for a rebuild but I just don't see it.
I hope everyone on July 1st rejects the Habs approach for a contract. Don't want another Alzner and Shaw situation for 4+ years.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Fire Bergevin, sign Julien Brisebois as GM. Trade Price, Pacioretty, Weber for whatever we can get for them. Throw Galchenyuk into the 1C slot with 1PP, see if he sinks or swims. Appoint Gallagher as captain. Tank for as long as it takes, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Mete, etc are all young. Buffalo tanked for years, now they're about to be on the rise with Eichel, Dahlin, Risto, Reinhart and friends. Also, sign UFAs to 1/2 year deals and flip them to contenders at the TDL.

If we exit the tank in 2020-21, that's perfect.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
So many different scenarios can play out that would make me change gears.

Plan A would be to sign Tavares
Plan B would be to trade Pacioretty for a young center or a prospect center who can play his rookie season in Montreal.

I think the big dominoe to fall for most teams will be July 1. I wouldn't' trade Pacioretty unless I got the offer I wanted at the draft which would be in the stratosphere of Heponiemi plus 1st (something similar from other teams)

If you can't get that at the draft wait for Tavares and JVR situations to settle.

For example, if the Leafs signed Tavares or another Eastern Conference team, you have yet another team out of the East that Montreal just simply can't beat. Basically what I'm trying to suggest is if the Habs can't sign Tavares, time to trade all the old guys for propects, young roster players and picks.

Pacioretty and Weber being prime candidates to move prior to training camps opening.

Tavares or bust.

Want My Dach x 77

Sep 2, 2010
vancouver, bc
Start of the 2019-20 season

Pacioretty Drouin Gallagher
Tkachuk Poehling Scherbak
Hudon Danault Lehkonen
Deslauriers Shaw Byron

Hanifin Weber
Mete Juulsen
Alzner Petry

Price

This is what I expect from bergevin....

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
1. Draft Zadina 3rd overall
2. Swap Pacioretty and Paul Byron to Buffalo for Ryan O'Reilly
3. On the UFA market, sign Calvin De Haan to a 4 years, 4.5M per contract and Paul Stastny to a 3 years, 6M per contract.
4. Re-sign Danault to a Eller-ish contract (4 years, 3.5M per season)

Drouin - O'Reilly - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Stastny - Zadina/Scherbak
Hudon - Danault - Lehkonen
Deslauriers - JDLR - Shaw

De Haan - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

Price
Niemi

With some luck and a better-than-expected progression from Meter and/or Juulsen, that's actually a pretty damn good team that's also very young. You keep the picks, stockpile the prospects and if (God forbid) Timmins actually has a decent draft for once, we might be healthy again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad